Let see YOUR favorite fish, that YOU own.

FrozenFins

20 hours ago, Lifeisgood said:

Angelfish Lover,  Thanks for telling me about your experience with them.  How old is yours and how long is it?

It is over 1 year old I don’t know it’s exact age but I’ve had it since December 2019 all I know is I got it as and adult it’s about 12”-16” I would say I haven’t ever measured it. But if you are going to get one don’t put it in with tetras it will eats them, I’ve also had a very hard time finding them during Covid since they are imported from Africa 

Some absolutely beautiful and inspiring fish in this thread!!  

We have 4 angels, and they are all my fave, but this black one is my personal fave...her name is Dina (my kids name them, and they all have ridiculous names), and she's all cute and bloated with eggs at the moment...

615233340_IMG_39632v2.jpg.09cfe45ed8048dfdccfa6b1496605f0c.jpg

I have a pleco (named Roomba) that is also my fave, but he is shy and I couldn't get a pic today. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Sal said:

We have 4 angels, and they are all my fave, but this black one is my personal fave...her name is Dina (my kids name them, and they all have ridiculous names), and she's all cute and bloated with eggs at the moment...

I have a pleco (named Roomba) that is also my fave, but he is shy and I couldn't get a pic today. 

I love that angel, thanks for sharing!

8 hours ago, Angelfishlover said:

It is over 1 year old I don’t know it’s exact age but I’ve had it since December 2019 all I know is I got it as and adult it’s about 12”-16” I would say I haven’t ever measured it. But if you are going to get one don’t put it in with tetras it will eats them, I’ve also had a very hard time finding them during Covid since they are imported from Africa 

Thanks!  Aren’t there so many interesting creatures to learn about?  That’s when the Multiple Tank Syndrome sets in!🤩

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jess said:

These guys are my current favorite.  They are a little shy sometimes, so when all 6 of them are out I'm compelled to stop what I'm doing and watch them.  That's the "magic" and why I love them.  

IMG_0590.jpg

What are these fish?  They look like they might be some kind of betta.  Are they?

11 hours ago, Lifeisgood said:

What are these fish?  They look like they might be some kind of betta.  Are they?

These are licorice gourami (but they do live with wild bettas in their hative habitat).  They were sold as Parosphromenus phoenicurus, specifically, but it's easy to confuse the 20 species that have been identified especially because they have a few different forms of "dress".  They are nearly extinct in the wild because their native habitat has mostly been turned into palm oil plantation (or is uninhabitable due to its location downstream of palm oil plantations).  They're from Borneo and Sumatra, and I feel like these areas represent what Amazon could be were it not for intervention to provide indigenous people with a source of income that also protects the diversity of their environment.  I wish we had a similar "success" story in Borneo and Sumatra.  

I chose them as a breeding project because my water conditions happen to be almost exactly what they experienced in the wild.  They come from blackwater regions with very low pH (down to 4!) and almost no detectable KH or GH.  I keep a planted tank, so I have to keep my GH around 3-4, but other than that my pH is 5-6 and my KH is 0-1. They only eat live foods, and they are very slow, gentle fish.  I keep them with chili rasboras, and I have to pay close attention because the chilis easily outcompete these guys for food!  If you want more info, Rachel O'Leary did a great video about them and there is also the Parosphromenus Project.

Edited by Jess
added links for more info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jess said:

These are licorice gourami (but they do live with wild bettas in their hative habitat).  They were sold as Parosphromenus phoenicurus, specifically, but it's easy to confuse the 20 species that have been identified especially because they have a few different forms of "dress".  They are nearly extinct in the wild because their native habitat has mostly been turned into palm oil plantation (or is uninhabitable due to its location downstream of palm oil plantations).  They're from Borneo and Sumatra, and I feel like these areas represent what Amazon could be were it not for intervention to provide indigenous people with a source of income that also protects the diversity of their environment.  I wish we had a similar "success" story in Borneo and Sumatra.  

I chose them as a breeding project because my water conditions happen to be almost exactly what they experienced in the wild.  They come from blackwater regions with very low pH (down to 4!) and almost no detectable KH or GH.  I keep a planted tank, so I have to keep my GH around 3-4, but other than that my pH is 5-6 and my KH is 0-1. They only eat live foods, and they are very slow, gentle fish.  I keep them with chili rasboras, and I have to pay close attention because the chilis easily outcompete these guys for food!  If you want more info, Rachel O'Leary did a great video about them and there is also the Parosphromenus Project.

What great info.  I can see why you like them so much.  Thank you!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ken said:

I wondered the same thing. They are pretty, the post says they have 6 in one tank so guessing not Bettas.

Except that some wild bettas can be kept in groups.  I saw this for the first time on Rachel O’Leary’s channel.  But now I know these are Licorice Gouramis.  Very cool.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sal said:

Oh, wow, she is gorgeous! And Roomba! Perfect name!  8-D !!!

On 2/19/2021 at 9:05 AM, Sal said:

Too funny! My grandkids have named my fish so I know what you mean. They named two of mine Slice and Dice. Slice is the angelfish (she does look like a slice, I guess). Dice is the betta. They said because he had spots that looked like the dice they use for their games. He also will "dice" anything that comes close to his mouth. My granddaughter has also named all 20 of my ember tetras and all 10 of my corydoras, lol. She hasn't started on the whiteclouds yet. Maybe because they keep multiplying.

• Like 1