What's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

pedrofisk

On 9/25/2021 at 7:16 PM, Voltron said:

When I was in middle school I had  2 ideas. 1st idea was to make a Algae glass cleaner that worked just like a pool cleaner that went around and cleaned the glass. I also thought of adding a spinning brush like a vacuum has. The other was sort of the same but moved around just below the surface of your gravel. Roomba for your gravel per say. Both crazy off wall idea's. LOL!

I think those are called trumpet snails :classic_biggrin:

A "build your own filter kit" 

For those of us who desire custom filters but don't have the resources to cut our own acrylic, it would be nice if various components of different sizes can be prefabricated so all we need to do is put pieces together the way we desire. Drilling and gluing would be done by the customer. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 5:25 PM, Gideyon said:

For those of us who desire custom filters but don't have the resources to cut our own acrylic, it would be nice if various components of different sizes can be prefabricated so all we need to do is put pieces together the way we desire. Drilling and gluing would be done by the customer. 

I thought that was the purpose of top fin UG/ plastic craft canvas, and leftover Bolthouse Farms bottles🤔1633223721740776786796495517413.jpg.2b552c49f73e50ac6d5fbc7988026718.jpg

This is a 5 gallon drink dispenser for the agua fresca vendors, that I taught elementary kids how to repurpose into an aquarium/ aquaponics (currently no plants beyond the pothos) during a zoom science class at the beginning of the pandemic. 

Now it grows planaria for those same kids to dissect/study for a school year. 

There are also amphopods and snails.

Lots, and lots, and lots of snails.

No guppies, just snails.

• Like 1

Good idea, but if it was affixed to the bottom, to get the sponge out, you would need to take out the airline, pop out the top, and slide out the sponge, whereas if you just take out the whole thing, you squeeze it in tank water, and return it.

But if you really want to affix it, I think some super glue gel or safe epoxy(I don’t know what kinds are safe, as many leach chemicals into the water)would do the trick. Note that you have to apply it dry, and once its on, there’s no going back.

On 9/29/2021 at 8:27 AM, Wonder Boy said:

Simple wish here - I want a sponge filter with a tall base so I can affix it to the bottom of the tank. I don't tend to change placement of the sponge or substrate, so it would be great to affix it to the bottom of the tank for level and ease of maintenance. Just pull the sponge off the base, clean, and reinstall. No more fiddling to get the sponge level or disturbing the substrate when cleaning. 

Good idea, but if it was affixed to the bottom, to get the sponge out, you would need to take out the airline, pop out the top, and slide out the sponge, whereas if you just take out the whole thing, you squeeze it in tank water, and return it.

But if you really want to affix it, I think some super glue gel or safe epoxy(I don’t know what kinds are safe, as many leach chemicals into the water)would do the trick. Note that you have to apply it dry, and once its on, there’s no going back.

On 10/4/2021 at 9:39 AM, Blaha said:

A digital test kit. 

You stick a sensor in your tank and it can read the water and tell you the water parameters.

There are several, I simply can't afford a few thousand $$ for an accurate one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2021 at 7:25 PM, Gideyon said:

A filtration system that is hang on the back that you can link with other parts and remove. You can have the filter/pump and then link with planters, additional biological or physical filtration, that space for a heater. Add to it for larger tanks and reduce it for smaller tanks. Like the linking of the new sump systems but geared for the top of the tank (for plants and those with no space under the tank. I also really love the use of plants (like house plants). I would also love to have access to tanks that were built with a drain in or near the bottom. I had a great little tank when I was younger where there was a tray under the gravel, and then it sloped to the center with a plug to empty during a water change. I would love to have that type of water changing ability for larger tanks. I mean let gravity do the work. I would also really like to have some type of magnetic or case system for parts of the tank including décor, backdrops, filters, wraps for heaters, and even background inserts. I mean we love to reimagine. We have it for our phones, computers, books, tissue holders, why not.   

• Like 2

On 10/19/2021 at 8:36 PM, JDSmit said:

A filtration system that is hang on the back that you can link with other parts and remove. You can have the filter/pump and then link with planters, additional biological or physical filtration, that space for a heater. Add to it for larger tanks and reduce it for smaller tanks. Like the linking of the new sump systems but geared for the top of the tank (for plants and those with no space under the tank. I also really love the use of plants (like house plants). I would also love to have access to tanks that were built with a drain in or near the bottom. I had a great little tank when I was younger where there was a tray under the gravel, and then it sloped to the center with a plug to empty during a water change. I would love to have that type of water changing ability for larger tanks. I mean let gravity do the work. I would also really like to have some type of magnetic or case system for parts of the tank including décor, backdrops, filters, wraps for heaters, and even background inserts. I mean we love to reimagine. We have it for our phones, computers, books, tissue holders, why not.   

So pretty much a modular filter. Neat.

Have you seen the king of diys above tank sump? it seemed pretty modular.

Just thought of another neat project. A device that you hang on the side of the aquarium with a sensor to measure the water level. When the level gets close to the top, it starts beeping to let you know it is full, and maybe even shuts off the filling pump via relay or Wi-Fi smart plug.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 7:25 PM, ThomasLC said:

Decorations with tank cleaning (vacuuming) in mind.  Wide bases so gunk doesn't get underneath or in between them.

Power strip with a nice long remote switch(s) so you can turn off your sump from a switch on the side of your stand.  

Not exactly what you want but close.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-15-ft-16-2-Indoor-Switch-Extension-Cord-White-KAB-1P-KAB-18/300726073

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 9:40 PM, Zenzo said:

My dream product would be a hang-on-the-back filter that is similar to the AquaClear, but thinner and longer (to fit in tighter spaces), made of more durable plastic (like the Aquarium Co-Op Catch Cups), a black up-lift tube, with a motor that is contained within the housing rather than a twist-in fitting (that can sometime leak). Additionally, it would be super energy efficient with a long power cord, and it must be self-priming. It would also have a fail-safe to eliminate any spillage if the media gets clogged. This HOB must also be made to fit tanks with larger lips (like 40Bs and 75s). 

I would want this to be comparable to an AquaClear 70 in terms of price and flow rating.

So, you want a Tidal 75 or 110?

On 10/20/2021 at 4:37 PM, Guppy Guy said:

Just thought of another neat project. A device that you hang on the side of the aquarium with a sensor to measure the water level. When the level gets close to the top, it starts beeping to let you know it is full, and maybe even shuts off the filling pump via relay or Wi-Fi smart plug.

There are a few on the market. This one includes an auto top off 

hygger Aquarium Alarm Auto Top Off Kit, Fish Tank Smart ATO Water Pump Auto Refill Water and One-Key Drain Water, Water Level Monitor Two Pairs of Protection Sensors for Saltwater Freshwater Tank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092CCJJ2T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_NN4E9HY15EBNF6Q00BAB

• Like 1

You could also use a HOB overflow box into (small) sump. 

With that, the water is always pumping back up to the tank from the pump in the sump, and only enters the sump if water flows over the top of the overflow box's inlet. 

So, not only do you get additional water volume and filtration, but it automatically keeps your water level stable.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 6:10 AM, Zenzo said:

No. Wrong plastic, too fat. Close though, but not perfect.

I just bought this. It doesn’t have a fail safe or long cord but it’s  slim and has the flexible plastic. If you guys could do a redesign on this with the added features I’d be super happy. 

02B2C978-9BFF-467B-B963-393B0697E406.jpeg

1AE6241D-6B62-427A-BF52-B1A2FC828F19.jpeg

B5399566-C768-4A37-890B-9DD3B0071A22.jpeg

Edited by Patrick_G

On 10/22/2021 at 8:55 AM, Patrick_G said:

I just bought this. It doesn’t have a fail safe or long cord but it’s  slim and has the flexible plastic. If you guys could do a redesign on this with the added features I’d be super happy. 

02B2C978-9BFF-467B-B963-393B0697E406.jpeg

1AE6241D-6B62-427A-BF52-B1A2FC828F19.jpeg

B5399566-C768-4A37-890B-9DD3B0071A22.jpeg

That design looks very similar to the Marina series filters you can find on Amazon. I was gifted one and have actually been pretty happy with the thing. Since the pump is submerged, it's self-priming and there's a surprising amount of room for filter media in the box itself. They say their largest is only good for a 20 gallon, but that seems like it's selling the product short. Hopefully removing that silly LED isn't much of a chore, I like the design otherwise!

On 10/21/2021 at 12:36 PM, AndEEss said:

So, you want a Tidal 75 or 110?

If the Tidals get rid of the blue notification thing pops up to alert you to maintain your HOB, gets rid of the skimmer, gets rid of all the rest of the blue colored items on it, have the media basket customizable (expandable / collapse-able) like an Aqua Clear, and gets rid of self priming....then yes.

A HOB like I described would be the best one ever.

Edited by Jeff