What's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

pedrofisk

On 7/21/2020 at 6:28 PM, H.K.Luterman said:

Dream aquarium product: a little container you program to catch certain fish (like, platties, guppies, etc), and then you just set it in your tank and AMAZINGLY all the fish of that type just go swim inside, making removal fast and easy. But until that's invented I guess I'll have to begrudgingly tear my aquariums apart and chase fish with a net in each hand. X3 

I would buy that! Manual removal of my endlers has been a paiiiiinnnnnn also for those that stuggle with pond snails I would use this product.  

@a tired fish keeper yes! I only had one nerite snail in my collection that was given to me as a rehoming project. I had to tear apart the tank and scrub it when she passed the eggs were everywhere!! All because of her she will be my one and only. No thank you. No more of that. 

also why are you so tired? From enjoying your tanks? 

On 2/25/2022 at 10:01 PM, Minanora said:

Why don't hang on back filters have an inline power switch? We have to unplug them to do water changes, same with traditional heaters! I may just splice my own in....

I’ve taken to using the Kasa power strips. They’re like the outlets the coop sells, but each outlet is independently controlled. Bonus there are 2 USB ports to power air pump and charge auto feeder. 

With the Alexa integration I can just say “water change” and a routine shuts off the heaters and filters and saves my back from having to unplug everything each time. 

https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Smart-Protector-Required-KP303/dp/B083JKSSR5/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2QQMAOLBCK9ZX&keywords=kasa+power+strip&qid=1645855355&sprefix=kasa+powe%2Caps%2C57&sr=8-4

• Like 2

On 2/25/2022 at 10:07 PM, MarkM said:

I’ve taken to using the Kasa power strips. They’re like the outlets the coop sells, but each outlet is independently controlled. Bonus there are 2 USB ports to power air pump and charge auto feeder. 

With the Alexa integration I can just say “water change” and a routine shuts off the heaters and filters and saves my back from having to unplug everything each time. 

https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Smart-Protector-Required-KP303/dp/B083JKSSR5/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2QQMAOLBCK9ZX&keywords=kasa+power+strip&qid=1645855355&sprefix=kasa+powe%2Caps%2C57&sr=8-4

That. Is. Boss.

Sadly I just can't do that. It's a principal thing.

We tossed our "algebra(alexa)" devices into the e-waste bin last year. I tried to go back to a flip phone this year, but it proved to be impractical for my job so I still have an android mobile device. This is legit one of two "social media" platforms we use. I use this forum, and rarely, instagram. I guess youtube counts, so I guess I use that too to share my fish and watch all the other fishy stuff.

I actually just ordered my switches for the pumps and heaters. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 9:01 PM, Minanora said:

Why don't hang on back filters have an inline power switch? We have to unplug them to do water changes, same with traditional heaters! I may just splice my own in....

If you have an Ace near you, see if they have sku#  3235231. (I think I've seen them at True Value as well.) I haven't tried them on aquarium aquipment but I've found them to work very well for lamps and small tools, and a bit of forum diving suggests that a 3 amp switch should be good for up to a 300W heater (drawing 2.5A @ 120V). I haven't found a waterproof version though so make sure to install it after the drop loop!

I may actually try this on my canister filter. It's the only thing I need to unplug to do a WC on my 40, and the outlet is behind something.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 9:11 PM, drewzero1 said:

If you have an Ace near you, see if they have sku#  3235231. (I think I've seen them at True Value as well.) I haven't tried them on aquarium aquipment but I've found them to work very well for lamps and small tools, and a bit of forum diving suggests that a 3 amp switch should be good for up to a 300W heater (drawing 2.5A @ 120V). I haven't found a waterproof version though so make sure to install it after the drop loop!

I may actually try this on my canister filter. It's the only thing I need to unplug to do a WC on my 40, and the outlet is behind something.

Ace is Miners here, I'll check it out... I need more gopher hawks so it's a good excuse to go in. God bless you for knowing about electrical draw. ❤️

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 11:53 PM, Minanora said:

Ace is Miners here, I'll check it out... I need more gopher hawks so it's a good excuse to go in. God bless you for knowing about electrical draw. ❤️

I don't remember the math exactly, but I know to check the ratings before hooking things together. 👍 I repair power tools as part of my job, and I've seen more melted plugs and fried switches than I'd care to admit. (*Most* of them weren't caused by me.)

On 2/26/2022 at 10:46 PM, drewzero1 said:

I don't remember the math exactly, but I know to check the ratings before hooking things together. 👍 I repair power tools as part of my job, and I've seen more melted plugs and fried switches than I'd care to admit. (*Most* of them weren't caused by me.)

I review electrical engineers work every day of my life as a part of my job. I am constantly fixing their work and telling them to review the markups I make. I'm not even an engineer. 😛

I build the monitoring enclosures for commercial solar projects. I also do the commissioning inspections/verifications. I do all the things.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2021 at 8:45 AM, GameCzar said:

With my recent struggle to find a decent camera for underwater streaming, I've decided that someone  needs to make a tank (similar to this type) that has a built in wifi camera.    You could stream your tank live, check on it wirelessly with your smart phone, etc.
I thought it would work better mounted on the side so its not in the back staring out into your living room.

So, you mean like an aquarium version of the BioPod

• 2 weeks later...

I want to see a HoB filter that lets you add whatever flowrate pump without having to deal with what size container the filter has. (Think of something Tidal 75 sized, but you can slot in whatever size pump you want). 

Essentially, Seachem really needs to re-visit the tidal series for the sake of.... fixing some issues.  I don't enjoy Aquaclears, but I appreciate their media container capacity on similarly sized HoBs.

Second to that..... I would like to be able to add a waterfall so that one HoB can be filled with foam, then go into a baffle, low flow, fine floss, and my media. (this is similar to the Aqueon Quietflow layout, or a sump).  Getting these types of designs and capacities to function would involve a bit of home engineering, which is perfectly fine, but I would love to see a big manufacturer take the time to develop the product line based on customization and not pushing out cartridges, bad media, or up selling other products in their line as a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

Edit: I really want all HoBs to have a feeding button and not have a risk of not working after 20 minutes of being off.

Edited by nabokovfan87
added feeding button
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 2:34 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I want to see a HoB filter that lets you add whatever flowrate pump without having to deal with what size container...

Sounds like you're almost describing an old school HOB wet/dry filter or refugium...with some planning I'll bet this can be done...

Bill

On 3/15/2022 at 4:14 PM, Bill Smith said:

Sounds like you're almost describing an old school HOB wet/dry filter or refugium...with some planning I'll bet this can be done...

Check this out.

One of the best ways I've seen one of these things used. Especially given how easy some manufacturer can do this.  They did something similar with the seamless sumps. Sumps, extremely easy to drill a hole and add this type of a modularity.

I won't ruin the method, but I saw this, and was just like..... WHY hasn't someone done this.

• Like 1

I replaced the HOB on my 20 long with one of those breeder boxes full of pothos cuttings a few months ago (I also have a couple of sponge filters in that tank). I wasn't expecting the way he bypasses the need for a pump, but it makes sense... personally I prefer clear air hoses to wires, and love that I can power this filter/box with just air.

On 3/22/2022 at 2:50 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

An app that automatically corrects reflections on glass so I can finally take decent photos of my tank! 

There are many apps that do this now. Google's Magic Eraser and Samsung's Object Eraser are non-iPhone apps that will remove reflections from glass in newer phones, but there are some for Apple too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1