What's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

pedrofisk

• Administrators
On 6/13/2021 at 7:28 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I have a new one that's pretty simple.  Now that @Zenzo has joined ACO, can we get a "Murphy" sticker of Zenzo's cichlid?  I love that thing! 😁

I do have them available. 😄

For me something o would love to see is a fry catcher. Something like the fluval breeder box that hangs off the side and gently catches any fry that are swimming about then deposits them into the breeder box/net/ space away from the parents so I’m not having to chase them down every morning when I get up. Because it doesn’t seem to matter if they have somewhere safe to hide there’s always the….”I’m gunna go touch the butt” kid in the bunch and unlike Nemo gets eaten. 

• Sad 1

On 6/15/2021 at 11:56 AM, Zenzo said:

I do have them available.

Are you gaslighting me, @Zenzo🤪  Seriously though, before posting that I checked your website where I see a link to ACO products and two colors of t-shirt.  I checked ACO's stickers and it's not there either.  Where are you hiding them?!  Don't keep it a secret, man!  😁

On 6/14/2021 at 11:17 PM, RogueAquarium said:

It is technically something I could probably MAKE if I wasn't so lazy.

I want something like a box I can stick on the side of the tank that would track all my parameters and log that info to a file on my computer for each tank. 

How much light, and for how long. Temp, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, KH and PH readings, Water level, maybe even "flow rate" as in how fast the flow inside the tank is on average. I WANT ALL THE DATA!!!!

My second would be a fish tank version of a "Game Camera" that is triggered for a series of photos or short video upon seeing movement.

The Seneye Home gets you close. It tracks Ammonia,  temp, ph, light level and water level. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 6/15/2021 at 4:24 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Are you gaslighting me, @Zenzo🤪  Seriously though, before posting that I checked your website where I see a link to ACO products and two colors of t-shirt.  I checked ACO's stickers and it's not there either.  Where are you hiding them?!  Don't keep it a secret, man!  😁

LOL! If you go to my YouTube channel, you will find a merchandise link under any of my videos. That will take you to where you can find the stickers. 😄

@Patrick_G, jump in that thread if you have any questions. @Daniel has also tested other systems, but the Apex remains the market leader, mostly because of support and compatibility. The programming is very old-school, but does just enough.

You only need the EL unit for freshwater unless you need 0-10V pump or powerhead control on day one.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2021 at 7:33 PM, Patrick_G said:

The Seneye Home gets you close. It tracks Ammonia,  temp, ph, light level and water level. 

I have recently used both the Seneye Home and the Neptune Apex. The Seneye was okay, but between the Seneye and the Neptune Apex, I much prefer the Apex for the reasons that @Streetwise mentions above.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2021 at 7:15 PM, Zenzo said:

LOL! If you go to my YouTube channel, you will find a merchandise link under any of my videos. That will take you to where you can find the stickers.

Thank you, sir!  I wonder what other pockets of merch you are hiding around the web like little easter eggs?!  You are a man of mystery.

• Haha 1

Already posted but if I may I really wish there was a programmable light with an amount of control similar to the Fluval 3.0's in a similar price range to the Finnex Stringrays. The Stingrays are amazing, however I really want to be able to have the ramp up/down, and customizable intensity/colours. Might be impossible given the price limit but I can dream lol. (Or wonder what the ACO light has in store.)

(P.S. Haven't read the thread in awhile so my bad if I'm repeating someone else's idea! If I am repeating something sorry about that!)

A test kit that’s easy to read, and tests all the parameters I need to know about 

also, 

clamp and hosing fixtures for tanks with bigger rims. I have the marineland 75g tank, and the inner rim takes up an extra  3/4 - 1” of the internal perimeter 

Edited by Jarred

On 7/21/2020 at 5:28 PM, H.K.Luterman said:

Dream aquarium product: a little container you program to catch certain fish (like, platties, guppies, etc), and then you just set it in your tank and AMAZINGLY all the fish of that type just go swim inside, making removal fast and easy. But until that's invented I guess I'll have to begrudgingly tear my aquariums apart and chase fish with a net in each hand. X3 

Have you seen these? https://www.tankmatez.com/collections/all

• Like 1

Is there an app, or a filter that can count the number of fish if I take a picture or aim my phone camera at a fishtank? When ordering a lot of fish online and getting a shipment, it's very cumbersome to try and count all the little fish. But with a few pictures and an app, I'm sure a computer could do it easily.

On 6/28/2021 at 8:00 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I want a book on basic PVC plumbing and associated tips for aquarists!  How many of us have had to learn from making the same mistakes?  I feel like a well written book on the topic would be valuable for so many.  Myself included.

YAS! This would be so useful to me. The first time I've EVER been into a home improvement store was just a few months ago. It's so intimidating for me to see an auto-changing water system. Plumbing is something I have no knowledge about!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/4/2021 at 3:39 PM, CoelacanthChild said:

Is there an app, or a filter that can count the number of fish if I take a picture or aim my phone camera at a fishtank? When ordering a lot of fish online and getting a shipment, it's very cumbersome to try and count all the little fish. But with a few pictures and an app, I'm sure a computer could do it easily.

You may be in luck.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/countthings-from-photos/id1196810823

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

An aquarium auto-feeder that doesn't feed too much. Instead of having one compartment of food inside the auto feeder, maybe there would be like 30 tiny buckets that you'd fill individually with a day's supply of food. The auto feeder would just dump one bucket's worth of food at a time, and so you'd always get the right amount of food in the tank. Maybe it could feed as many times a day as you'd like as well, and then each bucket would represent half, a third or whatever day's worth of food. 

• Like 2

Have you seen This? It has 14 of your buckets you were talking about. I use this to feed my catfish during the night so the other fish don’t take his food. The only downside is it releases it slowly, so the more dominant fish might take the food from the smaller ones. If you’ve seen my other posts, you will know I like making things, so I am trying to make something like this, but with a motor to release everything at once. Check out this DIY 3d printed fish feeder on Thingiverse. It works good, but I am trying to make a bigger one that you only have to refill monthly instead of biweekly.

• Like 1

Also, browse around other DIY websites for fish feeders. Arduino projecthub is a good one, as is Thingiverse, which is where the feeder above is from. If you don’t have a 3d printer, there are online printing services, or you can get a highly recommended Ender 3 for $180. They are awesome for other things too. If you don’t like the ender 3 for some odd reason, search YouTube for 3d printer reviews.

Check out This 3d printing thread about safe plastics.

Edited by Guppy Guy
Added my 3d printing thread.
  • Like 3

On 7/20/2021 at 12:56 AM, Guppy Guy said:

Have you seen This? It has 14 of your buckets you were talking about. I use this to feed my catfish during the night so the other fish don’t take his food. The only downside is it releases it slowly, so the more dominant fish might take the food from the smaller ones. If you’ve seen my other posts, you will know I like making things, so I am trying to make something like this, but with a motor to release everything at once. Check out this DIY 3d printed fish feeder on Thingiverse. It works good, but I am trying to make a bigger one that you only have to refill monthly instead of biweekly.

That is freaking awesome. I might actually get one of those. Does it work well for you? Does it have any downsides? I just have a betta and ottos, so no competition here.