On 11/27/2022 at 12:07 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Any tips for the tetra breeding

I’ve seen a guy on youtube - I think his handle is KeepingFishSimple or something like that. Young guy. He would remove the egg scatterers (ie: tetras or danios) and put them into a styrofoam cooler with a plastic basket hanging inside, plus some moss in the basket. I think he kept the basket up toward the top by using bamboo skewers. The idea is for the pair, (and I mean, you’d want to have like 5 or 6 tetras in there so you’ll definitely have a match, ) to be in the basket and drop their eggs. The eggs will fall through the basket so the adults will not eat them. But the holes in the basket aren’t big enough for the adults to get through. It takes an overnight I believe for them to drop the eggs. Then simply remove the adults and the basket, and raise the fry in the cooler.

He had an alternate method where he didn’t use the basket. He put small river stones in the bottom of the cooler and let the adults swim around and mate in the cooler. But size of stones matters because if they are too big the adults will still go down into them and eat the eggs.

I’ve also heard people use plastic craft mesh on the bottom of their fish tank to let the eggs fall through. @Fish Folk keeps a glass container full of rocks in his egg scatterer tanks.

• Like 1

Ah yes, I believe I’ve seen his videos on breeding pristella tetras @Fish Folk

@TheSwissAquarist Here are 2 videos of my gang dancing. They always do the mating dance after I feed frozen brine shrimp.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_uTjqOa7VHpcqpSL7ChH786IcFPIxgn2/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ilv45huWVZEVJa5MBRy1-lt0AQO-eCu6/view?usp=drivesdk

Also of note - I had never seen them mate UNTIL I added live plants.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2022 at 1:57 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

keeps a glass container full of rocks in his egg scatterer tanks.

Much more visually appealing! @Fish Folk I showed my art-gallery-owner aunt a pic of the rock-filled glass container in the aquarium and she described it with a variety of different adjectives which I think were English.

Hopeyou don’t mind!😁

• Haha 5

On 11/28/2022 at 4:57 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I’ve seen a guy on youtube - I think his handle is KeepingFishSimple or something like that. Young guy. 

It's crazy, he's about 23 and owns his own fish store now. 

Edited by Schuyler
Random extra word removed
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Update time: I’ve done some research (and may have possibly ordered a Coconut cave🎉) into Apisto breeding. As things stand, I’ve got an Apistogramma Cacatuoides male called Brian (my dad named him — he watches too much Monty Python😂).B8B6DDF7-0F6D-4CE9-A47C-40972D5D10F1.jpeg.dc2818a83aa12de3b03554fd772fcc24.jpeg

So all that’s missing is his other half; a female. My LFS is getting a shipment on Wednesday, and I’ll get first pick out of QT on Saturday 😎. Can’t wait!

So far the Emperor Tetras are doing little dances every now and again, I’m hoping they wait a day…have yet to clean the breeder box after the cory fry. Until then…31544A49-C14B-4478-AEAC-A7E00C10742B.jpeg.9a9e03e63adeceb267a113f0edf2d8d8.jpeg

Finally, last but not least, 🙂 the BN pleco babes are settling into their new home nicely. Which basically means that I haven’t seen them being predated upon.😂.

On another note, it’s Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 vs England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 in the football tonight. England will wipe the floor with them!!

Have a nice evening!099FFD2C-1B60-426F-B2F4-846C45F4D079.jpeg.53f15285e6d3fde53c54974c483611b2.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 12:22 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Update time: I’ve done some research (and may have possibly ordered a Coconut cave🎉) into Apisto breeding. As things stand, I’ve got an Apistogramma Cacatuoides male called Brian (my dad named him — he watches too much Monty Python😂).B8B6DDF7-0F6D-4CE9-A47C-40972D5D10F1.jpeg.dc2818a83aa12de3b03554fd772fcc24.jpeg

So all that’s missing is his other half; a female. My LFS is getting a shipment on Wednesday, and I’ll get first pick out of QT on Saturday 😎. Can’t wait!

So far the Emperor Tetras are doing little dances every now and again, I’m hoping they wait a day…have yet to clean the breeder box after the cory fry. Until then…31544A49-C14B-4478-AEAC-A7E00C10742B.jpeg.9a9e03e63adeceb267a113f0edf2d8d8.jpeg

Finally, last but not least, 🙂 the BN pleco babes are settling into their new home nicely. Which basically means that I haven’t seen them being predated upon.😂.

On another note, it’s Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 vs England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 in the football tonight. England will wipe the floor with them!!

Have a nice evening!099FFD2C-1B60-426F-B2F4-846C45F4D079.jpeg.53f15285e6d3fde53c54974c483611b2.jpeg

No aquarium coop apisto cave??

On 11/29/2022 at 6:24 PM, Aiden Carter said:

No aquarium coop apisto cave??

I could have waited for my care package to arrive…but transatlantic shipping isn’t known for speed 🤷‍♂️! Coconuts are fun anyway 🤩, but if there is one in the package it’ll just be another option for them. AKA: see which one is preferred 😂!

• Like 2

On 11/29/2022 at 12:26 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I could have waited for my care package to arrive…but transatlantic shipping isn’t known for speed 🤷‍♂️! Coconuts are fun anyway 🤩, but if there is one in the package it’ll just be another option for them. AKA: see which one is preferred 😂!

Good chance for a test I guess!!!

On 11/29/2022 at 9:26 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Why not just make one?

On 11/30/2022 at 4:10 PM, Minanora said:

That chair is very clean for having dogs. Is it new? I love the vibrant blue!

My parents are fanatics when it comes to keeping dogs off sofas… they weren’t home 😂!

On 11/30/2022 at 3:49 PM, Schuyler said:

Why not just make one?

Whatever costs less is best, and it needs to be visually appealing too🤷‍♂️.

On 11/30/2022 at 9:19 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Whatever costs less is best, and it needs to be visually appealing too🤷‍♂️.

I don't know how much coconuts cost in Switzerland but here I can buy one for less than the price of one coconut hut and you can make two out of it. You can also stick moss to it to make it look nicer

• Thanks 1