On 11/23/2022 at 12:45 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

About 7+ wrigglers have been sighted, and I’ve put in a measly amount of powdered flake for the to nibble on in case…

98B366BB-B21F-4FD1-892F-F5198944F346.jpeg

917EAE49-A203-4CC8-991F-8D83A0D63135.jpeg

Yay!!! Oh I'm so glad they hatched! Seven is a good amount too! How many eggs do you think ended up hatching vs fungusing? Assuming they're cories they aren't picky eaters, though bbs are of course always a fave. It's so much fun to see them just scuttle along on the ground when they're so small, acting just the same goofy way they do as adults. They grow pretty fast too so it's fun to compare sizes day to day! I'd recommend taking a picture each day because you often can actually visually watch some pretty incredibly progress! 

Also a friend that you lend angelfish with? That's amazing! Have you guys had any successful spawns? Oh, and where can I find a friend like this? 🤔😆

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 6:37 AM, itsfoxtail said:

Yay!!! Oh I'm so glad they hatched! Seven is a good amount too! How many eggs do you think ended up hatching vs fungusing? Assuming they're cories they aren't picky eaters, though bbs are of course always a fave. It's so much fun to see them just scuttle along on the ground when they're so small, acting just the same goofy way they do as adults. They grow pretty fast too so it's fun to compare sizes day to day! I'd recommend taking a picture each day because you often can actually visually watch some pretty incredibly progress! 

Also a friend that you lend angelfish with? That's amazing! Have you guys had any successful spawns? Oh, and where can I find a friend like this? 🤔😆

Yes, I’m trying to get a decent focus on them-they’re just so small! I’d say about 1/3 hatched, the rest fungused. 
My friend and I have had some decent spawns, and his fish is a platinum angel…makes for some fun colors which we sell as ‘mixed’ angelfish 😜

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 11:40 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Yes, I’m trying to get a decent focus on them-they’re just so small! I’d say about 1/3 hatched, the rest fungused. 
My friend and I have had some decent spawns, and his fish is a platinum angel…makes for some fun colors which we sell as ‘mixed’ angelfish 😜

Wow, so considering that you probably got upwards of 20 eggs to begin with? That's a great number for a batch! Looking forward to more pics!

That's awesome! What sort of color percentages do they throw? Is yours considered a marble angel? I'm not really up to date on all the angel types lol.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 8:59 AM, itsfoxtail said:

Wow, so considering that you probably got upwards of 20 eggs to begin with? That's a great number for a batch! Looking forward to more pics!

My good friend Google says that they often lay 50+ eggs, so it’s not exactly a great hatch rate!

On 11/24/2022 at 8:59 AM, itsfoxtail said:

That's awesome! What sort of color percentages do they throw? Is yours considered a marble angel? I'm not really up to date on all the angel types lol.

Around 50% Marble, then maybe 30% platinum and the rest are mixed I think…might be interesting to see what the next one brings!

On 11/24/2022 at 3:31 PM, Minanora said:

🎉 I hope all 7 make it. Very fun!

@itsfoxtail I'm pretty sure most of us are willing to do stuff like that. 🤣 If only we were all located closer together. A whole city of nerms!

Murphy City!

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 7:47 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Any guesses?

Here is yours....

Screenshot_20221124-092331.png.a919b972812c26c2fbded30ac58d1f40.png

Here's mine:

Screenshot_20221124-092634.png.d53ebd3ad58dec6b80a6f80a8c92c46a.png

Definitely little corydoras. In about ~24-48 hours you should start to see the full body shape and the head and fins start to form.  You'll start to see a bit more of a defined fish.

On 11/24/2022 at 7:40 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

My good friend Google says that they often lay 50+ eggs, so it’s not exactly a great hatch rate!

They do. But, they can just lay a very small cluster of eggs. Spawns could last a few days or you get one big one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most of the time my cories spawn for like, a week.... and scatter their eggs EVERYWHERE. Every plant, every decoration, pipe, hose, yup.... pain in the tushy to collect them all. haha. I envy the photos and videos of people pulling off 20+ eggs on the glass. That would be too easy! 😄 

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2022 at 8:31 AM, Minanora said:

🎉 I hope all 7 make it. Very fun!

@itsfoxtail I'm pretty sure most of us are willing to do stuff like that. 🤣 If only we were all located closer together. A whole city of nerms!

Nerm City? Sounds heavenly. Where do I sign up?!

On 11/24/2022 at 9:40 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Around 50% Marble, then maybe 30% platinum and the rest are mixed I think…might be interesting to see what the next one brings!

Murphy City!

For a first batch I'd say its DEFINITELY a great hatch rate! I think I only had like 2 or 3 hatch the first time I collected eggs. Especially if they're scatters like @Minanora said! I think I legit maybe shed a tear of relief the first time my corys decided to lay in a patch instead of them scattered. Haven't done it since but boy was that one relaxed egg-collecting experience, lol!

Ooh, I'd love to follow along the next time you decide to spawn your angels! Seeing what color percentages come out sounds like so much fun!

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 2:14 AM, itsfoxtail said:

Nerm City? Sounds heavenly. Where do I sign up?!

For a first batch I'd say its DEFINITELY a great hatch rate! I think I only had like 2 or 3 hatch the first time I collected eggs. Especially if they're scatters like @Minanora said! I think I legit maybe shed a tear of relief the first time my corys decided to lay in a patch instead of them scattered. Haven't done it since but boy was that one relaxed egg-collecting experience, lol!

Ooh, I'd love to follow along the next time you decide to spawn your angels! Seeing what color percentages come out sounds like so much fun!

I recently sold a bunch to pay for shipping stuff to some fellow Nerms…could soon be time for another shot!

• Like 2

Update on the 65 gal: Gave it a bit of a haircut yesterday so that if (or when 😁?) I next put a spawning mop in the fish will concentrate their spawning there instead of the plant forest I had going. Also gave me the chance to say hi to a long lost Kuhli loach 👍.C7012FC0-E63F-47CD-BA80-266FC2D3A0DF.jpeg.e0fac8b72abff788a5220bc9bb1a8f3b.jpeg

And the fry species has been established (thanks to @nabokovfan87)! They’re Palaeatus Corydoras!! Here’s some pics:96F08E3A-A595-4CAC-9B28-980CEF86662C.jpeg.1166a55c16fdef0b581d66e49905b0b1.jpeg9752F1E2-71F7-4F51-BFB8-2E2F13818183.jpeg.5527e14a63b6defa96b7230b4cd466fd.jpeg

Meanwhile the classroom is calling - have a nice day!

• Love 3

On 11/25/2022 at 8:04 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I dig that setup with the hang-on breeder box and the nano pump.  I seriously would love to see something like that made for the hobby.  What an idea! (something to fit a nano sponge and hangs on the tank with a nano pump)

It came with a spray bar (which I’ve since lost 😂!) but no pump 🤷‍♂️. Idea for the Co-Op: The Aquarium Co-Op Hang-On Breeder Box with integrated pump. Overflow protected with a piece cut from a brine shrimp sieve.

Any thoughts ?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/25/2022 at 3:11 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

It came with a spray bar (which I’ve since lost 😂!) but no pump 🤷‍♂️. Idea for the Co-Op: The Aquarium Co-Op Hang-On Breeder Box with integrated pump. Overflow protected with a piece cut from a brine shrimp sieve.

Yes please. I hate the way the output is designed currently on these things to encourage fry to get pushed in the tank or to easily overflow. It's so weird to me....

Take hang on back box, make it clear, make it big enough. Doooooone.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 5:11 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Any thoughts ?

On 11/25/2022 at 1:15 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yes please. I hate the way the output is designed currently on these things to encourage fry to get pushed in the tank or to easily overflow. It's so weird to me....

Take hang on back box, make it clear, make it big enough. Doooooone.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has struggled with keeping fry in the box. A brine shrimp sieve is brilliant 👌

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 9:54 PM, itsfoxtail said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has struggled with keeping fry in the box. A brine shrimp sieve is brilliant 👌

My issue right now, even using coarse sponge is that the height is so shallow any little restriction, bump in water height, and it's making the lid float.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 12:21 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

My issue right now, even using coarse sponge is that the height is so shallow any little restriction, bump in water height, and it's making the lid float.

Oh man, yeah there's another issue: the resistance. As I type this I can hear the lid to the one I have on my 15 bopping around, clacking with every little bit of water that goes in. Not quite floating but enough to give me a little insight into what it'd be like to have tap-dancing neighbors.

• Sad 1

On 11/26/2022 at 1:01 PM, itsfoxtail said:

Oh man, yeah there's another issue: the resistance. As I type this I can hear the lid to the one I have on my 15 bopping around, clacking with every little bit of water that goes in. Not quite floating but enough to give me a little insight into what it'd be like to have tap-dancing neighbors.

It sounds like boiling rice doesn’t it?? I added an air stone and my parents have despised the little noisy box in the kitchen since day 1!

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2022 at 6:03 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

It sounds like boiling rice doesn’t it?? I added an air stone and my parents have despised the little noisy box in the kitchen since day 1!

It does! 😭 I never put my finger on it but boiling rice is exactly it! I won't be able to un-hear this now. 

I remember setting up my brine hatchery for the first time and my dad saying it sounded like we lived in a mad scientist laboratory. 

• Haha 1

Riiight, Corydora update!!

The fry haven’t been doing great, and I’ve lost a couple during the last 2 days. So far 3 are alive, and they’ve been moved into my 8 gal.

Could be underfed??12B2090F-D277-4521-9CFD-81EBAB5D8316.jpeg.b2e799f125b13f6215cf49398a5da987.jpeg

Hopefully they’ll make it!

On Wednesday I think I might have a first shot at breeding Emperor Tetras! The breeding box is going spare, and thanks to @tolstoy21 I know that there’s 2 very fat and happy pairs in my 65gal. Something to look forward to!100094A4-E9DA-4AD3-9137-78D12E11771D.jpeg.9fc10c4c01d103c68e0e4546835642f9.jpeg6127D9A4-9ABC-4E51-B5EF-DAAF67250EF3.jpeg.974e9295a48cfd525a030bb85d75a10e.jpeg

Nothing else to report, apart from my robot competition went well. Unless you count a rogue one who failed to accomplish a ‘mission’. Have a nice day!!😁

P.S. Any tips for the tetra breeding?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2022 at 9:07 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

So far 3 are alive, and they’ve been moved into my 8 gal.

Could be underfed??

They'll do better in there. How were you feeling them?

On 11/27/2022 at 9:07 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Nothing else to report, apart from my robot competition went well.

That's awesome. Congratulations

On 11/27/2022 at 6:22 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

They'll do better in there. How were you feeling them?

I was feeding them some powdered flake 3 times a day, but I suspect they were underfed. I’ve put some BBS on the go.

On 11/27/2022 at 6:22 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

That's awesome. Congratulations

Thanks! I call it a robotics competition, but to be honest it’s glorified Lego 😂😂 with some programmable brick. F6E41856-45FA-4681-99C3-5A482D099AA7.jpeg.fe2034b5859307c9b5366b9b16a8f705.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1