On 6/14/2022 at 12:34 PM, TeeJay said:

Look for a Friday night fish fight coming to a local aquarium near you!

3 to one odds on the the reigning sleeker champion. Chubby boy is not quick enough to evade the blows. 🤣 

Thankfully neither are hurt to badly. Each has some “scuff” marks but nothing that won’t heal.  Sometimes these buggers hit each other hard enough just in the right organ area a day or two later they swell on one side from damage though. 

On 6/14/2022 at 3:45 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Why do they fight @Guppysnail? Tank size/territory or just a male to female ratio they do not prefer?

Just male female ratio. More male fry tend to survive in my tanks. I split this group into two. This original colony in a 40 b of about 15 and a second in a 20long. They do not always get harsh like this. Often it’s much like guppies and just display fighting. I recently moved the ludwigia and moss about they mate in so it is probably territory mating rights combined. That was my intent for pulling fry that survived in tanks to balance m/f ratio but these two being violent forced my hand in adding the largest fry to just sort of distract. It seems to have worked as now they are just displaying at one another. Either that or one clearly won(I think the later) because one is colored down to normal the other displaying full dress mating colors. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 3

They hated this plant everywhere else in the tank. Now it’s their lounge chair vD0E84900-79C6-4DAF-878E-82CEA9A65E66.jpeg.b50616eedd47241fa2e93bef6d57dbf5.jpeg

What would you do-Oo-oo for a Klondike bar 🤣16088FAA-1D22-4DAE-A122-3381CFCE8981.jpeg.355c8f60b350c772022f742bcd827f76.jpegCB13C286-8623-4954-8498-A48F4C21D8CC.jpeg.c34e55a8a03ee0ff6f8b07525d1c3673.jpegC16AD0DB-A666-4B98-90DC-1597097F4418.jpeg.58e2ad798f47cf05daa2c404eb003c2a.jpeg

I HEARD GLUG GLUG GLUG of big bubbles and could not figure out why  Snails still missing the bubbling sponge filter so playing on the ugf outflow6728A6A4-08B8-4DFF-B30D-E5B925A41C18.jpeg.2b127f229c0765b1c8796f09e740b35e.jpeg

Im hungry…hunt time58B010F6-8F15-4295-9880-8E2FF2FFA435.jpeg.32dfee82db5aeeef2f9ba79cd605cd1e.jpeg

fully belly…nap timeDEB00751-E05F-4CAD-A867-C750C5982787.jpeg.51bd3ef6b9ee054a9390a974b18cd8c9.jpeg

HAPPY ADVENTURES…TRY SOMETHING NEW  

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

On 6/18/2022 at 7:33 PM, Guppysnail said:

They hated this plant everywhere else in the tank. Now it’s their lounge chair vD0E84900-79C6-4DAF-878E-82CEA9A65E66.jpeg.b50616eedd47241fa2e93bef6d57dbf5.jpeg

What would you do-I-I for a Klondike bar 🤣16088FAA-1D22-4DAE-A122-3381CFCE8981.jpeg.355c8f60b350c772022f742bcd827f76.jpegCB13C286-8623-4954-8498-A48F4C21D8CC.jpeg.c34e55a8a03ee0ff6f8b07525d1c3673.jpegC16AD0DB-A666-4B98-90DC-1597097F4418.jpeg.58e2ad798f47cf05daa2c404eb003c2a.jpeg

I HEARD GLUG GLUG GLUG of big bubbles and could not figure out why  Snails still missing the bubbling sponge filter so playing on the ugf outflow6728A6A4-08B8-4DFF-B30D-E5B925A41C18.jpeg.2b127f229c0765b1c8796f09e740b35e.jpeg

Im hungry…hunt time58B010F6-8F15-4295-9880-8E2FF2FFA435.jpeg.32dfee82db5aeeef2f9ba79cd605cd1e.jpeg

fully belly…nap timeDEB00751-E05F-4CAD-A867-C750C5982787.jpeg.51bd3ef6b9ee054a9390a974b18cd8c9.jpeg

Hey they have to get some entertainment somewhere.😃

• Haha 1

On 6/18/2022 at 5:33 PM, Guppysnail said:

What would you do-I-I for a Klondike bar 🤣16088FAA-1D22-4DAE-A122-3381CFCE8981.jpeg.355c8f60b350c772022f742bcd827f76.jpegCB13C286-8623-4954-8498-A48F4C21D8CC.jpeg.c34e55a8a03ee0ff6f8b07525d1c3673.jpegC16AD0DB-A666-4B98-90DC-1597097F4418.jpeg.58e2ad798f47cf05daa2c404eb003c2a.jpeg

ORD 😍

I have my UGF tubes at various levels, if you play with it enough you can literally have musical tanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

Creating a quiet safe learning space corner for new folks to old timers and shy folks to ask questions if they don’t feel comfortable normally posting in the spotlight. 

I value why debate is very important in science. I’m not a scientist so it’s lost on me and to be honest becomes very intimidating and boring. I love aquariums for the fun, relaxation and the enjoyment they bring. 

I do not think that many folks read my crazy old lady rambling journal so I thought it would be a nice quiet safe corner of this awesome learning forum for everyone who is not super sciencey, maybe brand new to aquariums, maybe very shy, maybe even sciencey but who want to focus on aquariums instead of science to ask questions about using this technique and sharing experiences with this technique without fear of being caught up in a scientific debate that is outside their realm of education (me😁) or simply finds that stuff boring (me also 🤣). This way everyone from young children needing help to old timer aquarists can participate in a safe learning corner inside of this fantastic forum safe learning space free of the high end science stuff we don’t understand anyway. 🤷‍♀️

I would really love to hear from you please feel free to share here in my journal.  @Ken Burke has shared a perfect example of the the things I would love to share with you in the original thread. Thank you Ken.  He has currently embarked on his second algae murdering spree.  💪🏻 🔪🤣

So ask here if the original post became to sidetracked for your comfort. This is supposed to be FUN.  Anyone who has questions or wants to share their experiences with Reverse respiration for pest or algae removal and is not comfortable posting at all, by all means Direct message myself or @dasaltemelosguy.  (🤫 I will share a secret with you…he is one of the kindest human beings I have ever met and just really likes fish 🐟 shrimp 🦐 and snails 🐌 )🤗 

Thanks Forum friends and future forum friends  

On 6/18/2022 at 9:02 PM, Torrey said:

ORD 😍

I have my UGF tubes at various levels, if you play with it enough you can literally have musical tanks!

Oh my I never thought of that!  I get so focused on trying to make it quiet I forgot to stop and enjoy the musical quality of bubbles. Thank you 🤗

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

On 6/19/2022 at 10:26 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

image.jpeg.0546d6e1db8528de367fae1258e91a9d.jpeg

@Guppysnail is the dish on your windowsill another project? 😁

No. We’ll sort of. It’s frogbit. The girl I gave pleco baby to brought me some. It never grows in my tanks, tight lid and way to much surface agitation. So I’m desperately nursing it on the ledge so I can corral it in tank. 🤣 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/18/2022 at 4:33 PM, Guppysnail said:

Now it’s their lounge chair

And I am in mine, catching up with my favorite journal, a cup of coffee, and cloudy skies (no rain yet!).

Thank you for posting about the CPD drama. I am wondering if all the “disease” my CPD tank was experiencing was also aggravated by a couple of CPD males with very bad manners. The tank seems to have settled, and the little Lampeye is growing beautifully.

Our drama boxes keep us on our toes! 🤪

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Meet Duke

He is named for @TheDukeAnumber1 who gave me the wonderful suggestion of a reusable coffee filter as a hatch/fry box for my panda Cory eggs. Previously they would hatch but not thrive. Duke is my first to survive to color up 😁🥰

sorry small video I didn’t have my phone turned. 

168F5014-A7C8-42A9-A1A1-50491E3455BB.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3

I'm ORD again😍😍😍

I want some of this polite duckweed you have been sporting, lol

Congratulations on the successful growth of Duke!

As for the safer space for the science, I think this is a good idea.

When I went back to school adjusting to shifts in the degrees of intensity in how people enjoytheir science took some work. Some of my classmates were young enough to be my kids, and they felt really intimidated by the balancing of chemistry equations until I explained that balancing a chemistry equation only needed to be as complicated as they wanted it to be.

Then I shared an Adam Ant video and said "can't have half an atom on either side of the equation, just like we can't have half an ant" which was modified for mnemonic memory by a bunch of overly stressed adult, single parents and nobody misbalanced an equation again. When someone freaked out about memorizing the necessary bits of the periodic table, we recreated the table as an emu farm, and turned the AMU into EMU, and it made memorizing electrons and how to determine molecular weight a lot easier.

*Anything* can be explained in a way and in a language that resonates for the listener/learner/reader.

It just requires enough initial interest on the person trying to explain it (which I think you and dasaltemelosguy did an excellent job at!) to spark curiosity in the person listening/reading to want to learn more, and then a mutually enjoyable language will evolve (like a whole new generation of people who will never forget Adam Ant's most famous video, and half atoms don't work any better than half ants) that is grounded in laughter and having fun. Because, that's the best way to learn, right?

Just, not everyone has the same humor thresholds. (Only 80% of our chemistry class passed the class. !00% who passed with an A appreciated my sense of humor enough to show up for every study session potluck at my house, where we practiced redox reactions until everyone understood. Food improves memory, lol)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Torrey I think you understand.  The entire point was to create an EASY, safe chemical free solution to a common problem. This was entirely meant for the forum and not the scientific community. It was a total bonus he is a scientist to make it complete.  The article was written to be a FUN read and not overly science as our focus was for aquariums not a peer review in the scientific community, but we did want it to be scientifically complete vs just anecdotally evidenced.  We both agreed at the outset if it stops being a FUN part of our hobby we do not want to continue. TONS of laughter, humor and FUN shared experiences went into this hand in hand with the science.  WOW sharing that fun and the useful information 😍 

To include all the science that went into this would have essentially made it so scientific as to make it utterly useless to all but a scientific few on the forum because no one would have read it. Most folks come to the forum to read about aquariums not research papers. 

We very much kept The things Cory has said in videos and livestreams in mind where not everyone will be happy.  A few folks want the deeper harder science portions but the majority of the ACO videos are geared towards everyone to be INCLUSIVE no matter age, education etc. When things get overly specialized in areas of knowledge it becomes EXCLUSIVE.  This was about being helpful with AQUARIUM problems not about the science that went into it. 

We all enjoy our hobby in different ways. I enjoy the comfortable camaraderie about aquariums and being helpful is my way of giving back.   I enjoy and value the diversity in the forum from all walks of life. Everyone knows something different based on their own unique experiences and that is what makes the forum fun, helpful and a great learning environment. Even a day zero aquarist wanting to purchase their first tank has valuable life experience different than mine.  

I very much meant what I said. Had I done this alone I would have posted “hey soak plants in seltzer it kills algae and pests” though alone I never would have even had the idea. The original idea was his, my lack of patients 🤣 accidentally stumbled on the algae killing.   To most folks that would have been enough and they would have been grateful to have a solution. The same as folks ask and are told of alum, peroxide, bleach dips…knowing the exact chemical reaction that makes them work is not important to them, fixing their problem is. . They are grateful to have a solution.

@dasaltemelosguybeing exceptionally learned in the science field was a icing on the cake so the idea had a birth place and it can be better understood. If he had not had the original science spawned idea we would not have discovered this.

That is why I kindly asked that the further scientific discussion be moved to DM.  I wanted the non-scientific members, the young folks etc. and everyone to have this easy solution and be able to COMFORTABLY share their experiences and feel included in the FUN.  

From my perspective I know I would have read the article and been excited for solutions and eager to become part of the activities. (Ps. Thank you @Torreyfor sharing the camera attachments so more folks could could see fun things)  I would have then started seeing the scientific discussion, read that then quietly clicked off because I don’t understand it. I would have gone on to use the method and kept my experiences with RR to myself because I would not have felt I had the knowledge in science to participate. Bringing folks together to learn, find solutions to common problems and share ideas is the forum to me 🤗 We wanted everyone who wanted to participate to feel comfortable and have FUN sharing their experiences. 

I think the worst feeling is feeling less than about oneself. Being made to feel that in our hobby’s is even worse.  Where is the joy in that?  No one is less, just different. How boring would it be to live in a cookie cutter world where we are all the same 🤮. Diverging based on experience or education is not community.  Coming together because of our shared aquarium interest is community. That is the conversation we had surrounding this and how it fits in the forum community.  

To further what we are looking at we want the diversity of hobbyists trying this, not scientists lab experimenting (unless that is their fun then go for it 😁)

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

@GuppysnailI was blissfully unaware of any drama. I am sorry that there was anything like this geared toward you. Sometimes its trolls, sometimes it is well intentioned people blinded to decorum by the webs anonymity, and others just can't help themselves. We appreciate you and your adventures. Thanks for what you do. I'll now dive into that thread and be probably somewhat saddened something like this has happened on our dear forum. 

On a happier note, I loved your moss tree, it is a lovely piece and well done. I think you have really adapted the fry system components very well. I am lucky they are colony breeding for me. However, in fishroom 2.0 I will start doing mops and will need this system to aide me! A lot cheaper then swiss tropicals although I like what he has done for the hobby so will still buy from him just other things. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Beardedbillygoat1975 not drama. I think it was science folks getting excited (in a good way) about science things that just made it confusing and intimidating to non science folks. I genuinely want this to be a project that EVERYONE can have fun with and be involved in. I know when I read a sciencey thread I tend to not participate (well sometimes I do I have no fear 🤣). That’s why I encouraged folks to continue their valuable sciencey discussions but somewhere the rest of us are not totally lost 🤣

@Patrick_G Thanks ORD I don’t think it was necessarily criticism but rather curiosity. I doubt our great forum members would complain at a free dinner party. I have not seen forum ventures of this type before on this scale led by a scientist with scientific proofs vs anecdotal observations, so naturally tons of questions. The thread just got sidetracked a bit

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 11:29 AM, Guppysnail said:

@Patrick_G Thanks ORD I don’t think it was necessarily criticism but rather curiosity. I doubt our great forum members would complain at a free dinner party. I have not seen forum ventures of this type before on this scale led by a scientist with scientific proofs vs anecdotal observations.

Oops, I read through the post on the study but not the actual comments. In any case it sounds like it was a fun project. 

On 6/19/2022 at 8:02 AM, Guppysnail said:

Creating a quiet safe learning space corner for new folks to old timers and shy folks to ask questions if they don’t feel comfortable normally posting in the spotlight. 

I value why debate is very important in science. I’m not a scientist so it’s lost on me and to be honest becomes very intimidating and boring. I love aquariums for the fun, relaxation and the enjoyment they bring. 

I do not think that many folks read my crazy old lady rambling journal so I thought it would be a nice quiet safe corner of this awesome learning forum for everyone who is not super sciencey, maybe brand new to aquariums, maybe very shy, maybe even sciencey but who want to focus on aquariums instead of science to ask questions about using this technique and sharing experiences with this technique without fear of being caught up in a scientific debate that is outside their realm of education (me😁) or simply finds that stuff boring (me also 🤣). This way everyone from young children needing help to old timer aquarists can participate in a safe learning corner inside of this fantastic forum safe learning space free of the high end science stuff we don’t understand anyway. 🤷‍♀️

I would really love to hear from you please feel free to share here in my journal.  @Ken Burke has shared a perfect example of the the things I would love to share with you in the original thread. Thank you Ken.  He has currently embarked on his second algae murdering spree.  💪🏻 🔪🤣

So ask here if the original post became to sidetracked for your comfort. This is supposed to be FUN.  Anyone who has questions or wants to share their experiences with Reverse respiration for pest or algae removal and is not comfortable posting at all, by all means Direct message myself or @dasaltemelosguy.  (🤫 I will share a secret with you…he is one of the kindest human beings I have ever met and just really likes fish 🐟 shrimp 🦐 and snails 🐌 )🤗 

Thanks Forum friends and future forum friends  

Oh my I never thought of that!  I get so focused on trying to make it quiet I forgot to stop and enjoy the musical quality of bubbles. Thank you 🤗

Sorry for the late reply.  

@Guppysnail, you are too kind.  

I think of efforts like Reverse Respiration as a cord of three strands.  Strand one, theoretical science, makes observations, develops working theory’s, and conducts controlled experiments in the lab.  Strand two, scientific application, expands on the theory and refines the process, again through controlled experiments.  I live in the third strand, practical application.  Turn the handle, pull the lever, get a banana.

I have satisfied my curiosity, carbonated water is effective at killing algae and snails.  Now I’m curious, what was in that sediment on the bottom of my second application, and did the CO2 bubbles dislodge stuff on the plant?

• Like 1