On 5/18/2023 at 6:08 PM, Guppysnail said:

@Lennie on @Odd Duck comments I did not restrict her and gave her the normal feeding yesterday. She again ate just a few and went about her day. So you may be correct about the leaf heartbreak 🤣

What's the point of living, when you can't take a nap on your fav leaf anymore

image.gif.82a24df1fca7dd10dd76c48c746e4c8a.gif

They think you will be happy hunting crickets, but you don't even feel hungry anymore.

So you just dance, to try to look happy.

image.gif.500cdccd26ed0987d418ed8b9cbe0f1b.gif

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 5/18/2023 at 5:08 PM, Guppysnail said:

@Solstice_Lacer thank you. I enjoy reading folks journals many posts at a time vs each as it’s posted. I always feel like I’m reading a story that way. 

@Lennie on @Odd Duck comments I did not restrict her and gave her the normal feeding yesterday. She again ate just a few and went about her day. So you may be correct about the leaf heartbreak 🤣

Playing catch-up here: for Froggin it must be like losing your aquarium(s) and having to find a new pastime. 😂

• Haha 2

On 5/18/2023 at 7:14 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

The shrimp didn't hear you say action. 😂

Little catfish are so fun.  Not sure what it is about them, but such a joy to watch.

I know right. Catfish are just so wiggly and playful. 
My tiny terrorist shrimp went over board photobombing this video 🤣

• Haha 3

On 5/18/2023 at 7:52 PM, anewbie said:

You are keeping gbr with honey gourami at 82 ?

No.
GBR have their own tank with shrimp and Taia naticoides. I only keep them at 80-81 
Honey gourami are with Badis badis shrimp and snails. 76-77

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2023 at 2:52 AM, anewbie said:

You are keeping gbr with honey gourami at 82 ?

I keep my honey gourami at 80F with my GBR.

I have seen them going up to 89F last summer with zero issues as I live in a very hot city. Outside reaches up to 122F during summer....

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 2:08 AM, Lennie said:

I keep my honey gourami at 80F with my GBR.

I have seen them going up to 89F last summer with zero issues as I live in a very hot city. Outside reaches up to 122F during summer....

I find these sort of comments troubling because people see a post like this and think that 89F isn't harmful to the fish. What I think you mean by 'zero issues' is that the fish didn't fall over dead or hover near the top gasping. However - frequently a fish might die at a later time and the person will say something like 'the fish was in perfect health' why did it die. Heat even can have long term health impact; though short period is usually not going to have  a serious impact - but this largely depends on duration and extreme. However when a fish with a life expectancy of 6 years only lives 3 years obviously there was something that cause it to have a shorten life span - though it could be many factors ranging from inbreeding, improper water condition, stress from fighting, too hot, too cold, .... i would speculate about 99% of fish keeper just know their fish died but lack proper detail records or have method (dissection for example to study organs and tissue) to determine actual cause of death. However - this doesn't mean extreme temp didn't cause some latent issues that will show up at a later date.

-

I wanted to bring up a related topic on heat effect on fishes; while the temp has only risen a few degrees the past 3 decades; it has cause many species to go extinct and there is a fear that with further increase many more fishes will soon go extinct. Naturally those which are found in shallow lakes and similar where the fishes cannot adjust the temp of their environment are most effective. These effects are frequently over a period of time not due to a single event on a single date because of the long term impact on the fish and their habitat. 

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 2

On 5/19/2023 at 4:00 PM, anewbie said:

I find these sort of comments troubling because people see a post like this and think that 89F isn't harmful to the fish. What I think you mean by 'zero issues' is that the fish didn't fall over dead or hover near the top gasping. However - frequently a fish might die at a later time and the person will say something like 'the fish was in perfect health' why did it die. Heat even can have long term health impact; though short period is usually not going to have  a serious impact - but this largely depends on duration and extreme. However when a fish with a life expectancy of 6 years only lives 3 years obviously there was something that cause it to have a shorten life span - though it could be many factors ranging from inbreeding, improper water condition, stress from fighting, too hot, too cold, .... i would speculate about 99% of fish keeper just know their fish died but lack proper detail records or have method (dissection for example to study organs and tissue) to determine actual cause of death. However - this doesn't mean extreme temp didn't cause some latent issues that will show up at a later date.

As I mentioned, it reaches to that temperature naturally and yes I haven’t observed any negative effects myself. I keep and have been keeping so many different fish, shrimp and snails over 15 years. And these seasonal temperatures are unavoidable for me even without lids, increased surface agitation and so on.

If someone will see my fish surviving the natural seasonal temperature of 89F and take it as a suggestion, that person better don’t take care of any animal.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 6:00 AM, anewbie said:

I wanted to bring up a related topic on heat effect on fishes; while the temp has only risen a few degrees the past 3 decades; it has cause many species to go extinct and there is a fear that with further increase many more fishes will soon go extinct. Naturally those which are found in shallow lakes and similar where the fishes cannot adjust the temp of their environment are most effective. These effects are frequently over a period of time not due to a single event on a single date because of the long term impact on the fish and their habitat. 

Chasing Coral on Netflix is very insightful about this topic from a hobbyist perspective.

• Like 2

Apisto baby group # 1 got small white worms for the first time today  a few larger white worms slipped in  they attacked the large ones while ignoring the appropriate size worms  very cute  

Aspidora babies grow fast. More are coming out of hiding. Looks like my substrate is alive. 

• Love 4

On 5/23/2023 at 3:07 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Maybe try zucchini slices for shrimp in one corner, then add fish pellets at the other end of the tank after the shrimp have congregated around the zucchinis. 

They get plenty of veggies and shrimp food. It does not matter because there are 200 more in hiding waiting for the next food because they could not fit on this food 🤣

• Like 2

@Odd Duck I finally got brave and glued moss underwater. 🎉 It looks a fright but I can’t say it looks any better when I do it on the counter 🤣
I needed more moss between my Apisto moms so they can’t see each other and both have fry right now so I braved it. 
Java moss mountain courtesy of @TeeJay sending me a huge glob  

423839C7-0E1D-4C76-9C69-61E201B373DC.jpeg

And some for the anchor cats. 

C940D877-9D62-47A0-A304-A23790B7588A.jpeg

• Love 4

On 5/23/2023 at 5:48 PM, Guppysnail said:

@Odd Duck I finally got brave and glued moss underwater. 🎉 It looks a fright but I can’t say it looks any better when I do it on the counter 🤣
I needed more moss between my Apisto moms so they can’t see each other and both have fry right now so I braved it. 
Java moss mountain courtesy of @TeeJay sending me a huge glob  

423839C7-0E1D-4C76-9C69-61E201B373DC.jpeg

And some for the anchor cats. 

C940D877-9D62-47A0-A304-A23790B7588A.jpeg

And what I sent you was maybe 15 percent of the java moss I got in my bag at the auction for 5 bucks. I made a killing there.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

So I did a thing today. I have so many baby fish, shrimp, snails and worms right now it’s crazy. 
First week in July my club has a cookout/ swap event. I decided to be brave and rented a table inside. I’m going to be a vendor 🤣

I am nervous so I think I will post a question thread to see if folks have any tips. 

HAPPY ADVENTURES…TRY SOMETHING NEW

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea this belonged here 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Love 4