On 5/9/2023 at 1:12 PM, Guppysnail said:

@TeeJay more have hatched. A few still viable but no hatched yet. A few seconds in you will see them all go from rest to a pot of boiling rice. I’m glad I got the tumbler the hatch rate was much higher as not as many were lost to fungus. 

Ha they look like tadpoles. I highly doubt I will ever see any eggs since the cpds and wiggles are in the same tank. The cpds will probably mow them down before I ever see them.

• Sad 1

On 5/9/2023 at 1:45 PM, TeeJay said:

Ha they look like tadpoles. I highly doubt I will ever see any eggs since the cpds and wiggles are in the same tank. The cpds will probably mow them down before I ever see them.

Oh you will see eggs. The eggs are too large to fit in adult CPD mouths. You may even have fry survive they are good at hiding and fast. 

On 5/9/2023 at 1:55 PM, Guppysnail said:

Oh you will see eggs. The eggs are too large to fit in adult CPD mouths. You may even have fry survive they are good at hiding and fast. 

Well maybe I'll get lucky like I did with the Cory and have a couple survive naturally here and there

• Like 2

Last look. I vacuumed and set the Wizard snail tank for the Aspidora babies. The remains of egg casings began showing signs of fungus so it was time to release these cuties. Definitely a nice hatch. A few more still may hatch. 
The lighter translucent grey ones are fry. EE025E08-92F9-4A1E-9B8D-9CD20EEBFF5E.jpeg.503fae93b91fca54404f183e9ec660c5.jpeg

84978492-A625-4F4F-9FD9-E896BD3C7938.jpeg

• Love 4

Froggin is going through some behavioral changes. She is 3 years old now. I scatter her crickets throughout her home 1x a week on Wednesdays. 
I noticed 2 weeks ago she is spending more time on the ground throughout the tank.  As well as more active time. 
I put her crickets in this Wednesday she usually waits until they come to her. She went hunting immediately.

She remained hunting until hubby and I returned from the farmer’s market this morning. 
I believe she hunted down a weeks worth of crickets in a day. Her tummy is HUGE! The females are prone to obesity from what I read and until today she seemed a nice size maybe a touch plump.  So today start ms Froggins rationed food throughout the week  

I rummaged about a bit and see few crickets left. I also noticed my powder orange isopods do not seem as densely populated. 
Now I need to figure out if my pod population is dying off/no longer reproducing because of something or if she had been eating too many. I know she likes them. I imagine they are like frog jelly beans. 
Im going to feed up the pods today with the pod food enriched substrate I bought and some extra leaves. 

16B94540-DB70-455D-A5C7-A1D79AA7BC60.jpeg

1F3AE73B-4D14-48D8-A90D-6626667C4407.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Froggin says she just had a craving!  No need to get stingy with the crickets, Mom.  🤣 

That is a nice “food baby” she’s got going on there.

Even when they are kept indoors, seasonally breeding animals often seem to sense cues we have no idea about.  Most parrots (nearly all are tropical or subtropical species) start to breed in January/February so babies are ready for the burst in spring food availability.  Even when they have limited or absent sunlight cues.

Froggin may be prepping to lay eggs because girl frogs will sometimes do that without boys.  No babies expected, just eggs.  Or she may have just gotten hungry.  😆 😂 🤣  Tell her I empathize with the food baby problem.  😆 

• Thanks 3

On 5/12/2023 at 9:11 AM, Guppysnail said:

Froggin is going through some behavioral changes. She is 3 years old now. I scatter her crickets throughout her home 1x a week on Wednesdays. 
I noticed 2 weeks ago she is spending more time on the ground throughout the tank.  As well as more active time. 
I put her crickets in this Wednesday she usually waits until they come to her. She went hunting immediately.

She remained hunting until hubby and I returned from the farmer’s market this morning. 
I believe she hunted down a weeks worth of crickets in a day. Her tummy is HUGE! The females are prone to obesity from what I read and until today she seemed a nice size maybe a touch plump.  So today start ms Froggins rationed food throughout the week  

I rummaged about a bit and see few crickets left. I also noticed my powder orange isopods do not seem as densely populated. 
Now I need to figure out if my pod population is dying off/no longer reproducing because of something or if she had been eating too many. I know she likes them. I imagine they are like frog jelly beans. 
Im going to feed up the pods today with the pod food enriched substrate I bought and some extra leaves. 

It's spring, and she's going through the age old tradition of getting in breeding condition.

You provide plenty of exercise options, you require that she hunts her food, and you ensure everything is gut loaded for maximum health. Honestly, everyone tried to tell me everything I did wrong for Karma the Turtle... yet, you have seen how healthy Karma is.

Maybe a larger environment, not for 24/7 living but a playroom of sorts?

Karma has a play yard I set up outside for her, maybe Froggin needs something similar?

20200426_170029.jpg.17d22590f51e54de7fe90e5e71982565.jpg

On 5/14/2023 at 4:12 PM, Guppysnail said:

You and me both!

Mr third!!!

**should have read "Me third"

🤦

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 5/14/2023 at 6:35 PM, Torrey said:

Maybe a larger environment, not for 24/7 living but a playroom of sorts?

She actually lives in the dragons old tank. 40 gallon. She is not very active but does go back and forth. Just shy of a pen I would not know how to keep her safe. She doesn’t move in daylight other than sun up and sundown unless she is beneath plants. 

I feel better with the comments from  @Odd Duck  It did not dawn on me it may have just taken her this long to mature into breeding. 

Our kids grow up so fast 🥲

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2023 at 3:44 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Hey you lied! You said you couldn’t keep any floating plants alive! I see floating plants!!

I got dwarf water lettuce recently and it is doing well. It holds the duckweed and keeps it from getting drown so now that is doing well. I’m very excited but not holding my breath. I had a mass explosion of salvinia minima last year. I gave gallon bags away and threw it in the garden by the bucket full. Then all at once within 2 weeks it all died and my snails ate the rest. 
I only have 1 mystery left so that may be part of the reason these floaters are doing ok. 

• Like 2

Exciting day. My neighbor from the fish club that helped me hatch the GBR with the turkey baster and is a mega cichlid guy just joined. @aqualon56

My IQ dropped 50 points because I couldn’t pass the are you a robot easy green question 🤪 I was trying to type exactly like on the web page…I guess that’s what robots do. 🤣

My kids are exceptionally colorful today 🥰

65486E81-32E0-4255-817F-49198154DD8D.jpeg

B3549D9D-5BA9-4130-8378-A3C3451E1BDC.jpeg

496285D5-4671-473C-91B8-16DEF5D09EF3.jpeg

C194E8B2-F0A7-4CF9-8EEF-D984DC8C1037.jpeg

BEA4FDF6-6190-42E3-9BAA-9565BA979557.jpeg

90C6E29A-025E-42B7-8315-FC7100DF6DBE.jpeg

4A808D9A-54BB-4570-ACEC-AA0D6384D12D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 4

On 5/12/2023 at 6:11 PM, Guppysnail said:

Froggin is emotional eating cause her fav leaf withered 😭

Let her be

• Haha 2