On 6/1/2023 at 3:51 AM, Guppysnail said:

Papa used to easily fit in the cave hole. He is a chonker big boy now and absolutely does NOT fit in the hole  788E519A-76F9-4A5A-A669-FDE4E0BE158C.jpeg.c87c42689f46c97647d7de01854e2d2b.jpeg

My piranha kids and fun photos. 

ED4B0506-1E85-4F80-97C3-15608622C655.jpeg

Such great finnage and patterns on these two.

They do have some taller options if you're trying to find something for him. Maybe the easiest thing is a clay pot upside down that has the door cut in.

These are the ones I like just because it's not a typical pot shaped thing.

terra-cotta-pennington-plant-pots-100523387-64_600.jpg.ae83cc4753093dc63b9669be79bb0855.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2023 at 3:49 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

They do have some taller options if you're trying to find something for him

Thanks but it’s ok that he does not fit in. They spray milt at the opening and fan it in with their tail is my understanding. 
He does still try though. His snoot but not his whole head fits in. Then he back up and waggles at the hole threateningly. 🤣

• Haha 4

On 6/1/2023 at 1:28 PM, Guppysnail said:

Thanks but it’s ok that he does not fit in. They spray milt at the opening and fan it in with their tail is my understanding. 
He does still try though. His snoot but not his whole head fits in. Then he back up and waggles at the hole threateningly. 🤣

Grace the shark likes herself a cave too.  She has gotten bigger than the caves and sits there trying to get inside even the large one I have to no avail.  Eventually she started just sticking her eyes in and scratching herself all up trying to spend the daylight hours in there hiding.  I need a giant one for her! I've opted to make her a few caves out of rocks and wood and such.  She's not as happy because she loves those secure caves, but she's doing better now without all the damage to her scales.

I totally understand! 😂

• Like 2

@nabokovfan87 here is the cave. I have used it in aquariums. It’s not the biggest. Reptile caves came in as many shapes sizes and variety as aquarium decor. 
As long as it is ceramic it sinks. Some of the resin caves do not sink. 
edit  I think

i was remembering wrong  mine is resin  it’s the plastic ones that do not sink  

D28AE038-3AF5-4C93-A987-D7F3779068E1.jpeg

A0DD91C7-8A9E-44DC-BF1F-B4B6D9B35A85.jpeg

2209612A-978C-4D41-B935-9A5F4709D664.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2023 at 4:36 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Grace the shark likes herself a cave too.

PVC pipe!  If you put it in the back you can lean slabs of slate over it so the tank still looks natural.  Or just plant some plants in front of it. You can get the pipe in several diameters as well.

On 6/1/2023 at 3:29 PM, Guppysnail said:

Little limpet doing its thing. Hard to keep in focus but in person with a magnifying glass I can even see it’s cute little mouth nomming along 🥰

I've learned to enjoy the limpets too.  At one point when I was raising baby snails they were out of control, and when i went to adopt out the snails, I had to pick 2-3 limpets off of every mystery snail.  Now they are just kinda here and there. There are some in my Walstad jar too because I moved some tank plants over to that.  They help out.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2

On 6/2/2023 at 12:47 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Do they eat shrimp?

I believe that like most frogs, they will eat about anything they can stuff into their mouths.  I haven’t kept ADF in decades and never with shrimp, but they are still frogs and frogs often fit the saying, “Their eyes are bigger than their heads” or “their stomachs” depending on where you grew up.  Meaning they will try to eat things bigger than what can fit in their mouth or their stomach.  I doubt they would easily manage an adult shrimp, but an unwary shrimplet?  That would be fair game.

• Thanks 3

On 6/2/2023 at 2:37 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

My ramshorn snail colony in my Frog tank seems to be thriving tho…have snails got a harder shell than shrimp? 

Yes, much harder.  But a frog might eat a small one here or there and you would never miss it with the way rams reproduce.  They might not eat enough shrimp to make a dent in @Guppysnail’s population, either.  Just answered the question posed and unlike my all too frequent style, I didn’t go ahead and answer 6 other unasked questions.  😆 😉 

• Haha 3
  • Love 1

On 6/2/2023 at 3:36 PM, Odd Duck said:

doubt they would easily manage an adult shrimp

They are trying I give them credit. That tank houses the shrimp that when my Badis badis take down the number in their tank to liw I add from this tank. I assumed at some point all the shrimp in that tank will eventually become lunch. 

On 6/2/2023 at 3:43 PM, Odd Duck said:

my all too frequent style, I didn’t go ahead and answer 6 other unasked questions

This is part of what makes you so great to interact with 🤗

On 6/2/2023 at 1:47 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Do they eat shrimp?

Yes if they catch them.   They are trying very hard to nab the big red ones 🤣

• Haha 1

On 6/2/2023 at 4:25 PM, Guppysnail said:

They are trying I give them credit. That tank houses the shrimp that when my Badis badis take down the number in their tank to liw I add from this tank. I assumed at some point all the shrimp in that tank will eventually become lunch. // As much assorted breeding happens in your tank I’m not sure if the frog goes will get ahead of them or not.  😝 

This is part of what makes you so great to interact with 🤗

Well, I suspect you are more patient and tolerant than some.  

Yes if they catch them.   They are trying very hard to nab the big red ones 🤣

The big red ones are eye catching!  😂 🤣   Everyone should have goals in life.  🤣 

• Like 1

I m soooo excited!

I pulled all the plants and hardscape out of the anchor cat tank this morning to do a deep dive vacuum. 

TWO BABY ANCHOR CATS went scurrying along. They are crazy adorable and way to fast to photo 🤣. They are already almost half the size of my adults 🥰

• Love 4

On 6/3/2023 at 5:12 PM, Guppysnail said:

I m soooo excited!

I pulled all the plants and hardscape out of the anchor cat tank this morning to do a deep dive vacuum. 

TWO BABY ANCHOR CATS went scurrying along. They are crazy adorable and way to fast to photo 🤣. They are already almost half the size of my adults 🥰

WOW!