On 12/27/2021 at 10:11 PM, Hobbit said:

Wow! That’s so impressive! Hmm if I ever try Walstad again, I’ll have to throw an earthworm in there. Maybe it’s like a canary in the coal mine—if you don’t have enough oxygen, it won’t make it! 🤔

Red wiggler species is your best bet for earthworm survival in a tank.  I used to do a lot of worm composting and someone posted on a worm composting forum (which I can’t find anymore, sadly) that they had used some worm castings in the dirt they used in their tank (Walstad inspired) and they eventually found worms in the tank.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2021 at 3:55 PM, Streetwise said:

The Askoll 20 tank soil may still be viable, but sand has choked it out from properly recycling mulm and fish waste.

Do you have any Malaysian trumpet snails in your Askoll? (Sorry, I can't remember off the top of my head)

The MTS are mixing the sand into the soil in my 10 gallon, and appear to be mixing mulm into the sand (slowly) on the left side of my spouse's tank.

Just a thought...

• Like 1

@Atitagain, those are rubber plants. With their waxy coating, cuttings grow great at the top of an aquarium!

@Torrey, that is an interesting idea. I’ve been too busy this week being lazy to tackle it yet. I’m thinking about removing the Jungle Vallisneria, and I want to get my hands in the substrate to really evaluate. This it what it looks like now, with the wood just dropped in to keep it wet:

1BCCBB91-6DB7-41CC-AFEA-259D22BCC146.jpeg.1bbbc7ee919bb5b31196772922d4601a.jpeg

• Like 2

@Streetwise I am running 3 mediums on my 40b with the nano usb pumps. I'd love to go lidless but I find the splashback from the air bubbles hits the surface and send water out of the tank. I've been wondering if nanos being 2 inches shorter might help with the discharge problem. 

I'll have to add one to my next order and see how it goes.

On 1/8/2022 at 6:18 PM, Streetwise said:

I squeezed out three sponges back into the tank yesterday.

5C397277-D21C-4BD3-8A54-22061F56D586.jpeg.b459c9711d9c9a141113769b1b4cdf6a.jpeg

That staircase compliments this tank so nicely. Or is is the other way around. Anyway, every time I see this tank I like it more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That looks stunning. I hope you don’t mind me asking. Is the water just low from evaporation or is there a benefit to not filling the entire way or just a preference?  I always fill mine so I can’t see the water line but I have seen quite a few folks on here with lower water lines. 

• Thanks 1