• 2 weeks later...

I like that photo because it has both SAEs and an Amano chilling in the shade. After moving some inhabitants around so that I can redo my oldest tank, I realized that I seem to have a ‘type’ or two for my fish.

White Clouds, Bloodfin tetras, Glowlight tetras, ember tetras, and celestial pearl danios all have a similar thin hydrodynamic shape like trout.

Pygmy Corydoras, Otocinclus, and SAEs all have a flatter and more curved shark shape, but are still very hydrodynamic, and share horizontal stripes.

I guess those are the fish shapes I enjoy, like fast sailboats.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

Speaking of shark shapes: my spouse has had to help with feeding a little, since the surgery. 

When feeding the 2 tanks with the zebra danios, commented:

"If sharks had long fins, I imagine they would look like this. Your danios move like sharks, it's completely different from how the endlers swim"

@Streetwise, maybe zebra danios are in your future?

• Like 2

On 12/18/2021 at 5:48 PM, Streetwise said:

@Torrey, I love that your spouse has gotten more interested!

I have kept leopard danios, but not zebra danios. They look sweet!

The zebras have been much more entertaining than expected. 

I somehow managed to get a male and at least 2 females with the fainting gene. I'm having to cross F2 back to the parents to identify which parents carry which genes. While a lab would love them, I haven't found a lab that pays as well as my lfs, so I would prefer to remove the genes from my for-profit stock.

The LFS doesn't have a sufficient amount of fish nerd clients who appreciate the scientific benefits of locating fainting fish, lol. They get pretty upset when their brand new fish is belly up in the bag, even if it rights itself in the tank when the stress is removed.

They are highly entertaining fish who swarm their food, and look better the larger the school.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 12/18/2021 at 10:21 PM, Hobbit said:

Is it the same gene as with the fainting goats? 😀

On 12/18/2021 at 9:45 PM, Streetwise said:

Please start a thread on this fainting gene, as this is the first I have heard of it!

I'm not sure that there's enough information for an entire thread.

There's not a huge amount of information that I have found, outside of a brief mention in one of my college textbooks and this article

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Beardedbillygoat1975! It was single-species until I moved all the inhabitants out of my Askoll 20, so it also has SAEs, Otocinclus, Bloodfin tetras, and Amano shrimp.

I need to fix the substrate in my Askoll 20, to get the layering right, and as much sand removed as possible. I know a lot more than when I first set up that tank a couple of years ago.

I have gotten better growth with every subsequent tank, so time to loop back.

• Like 1

I have decisions to make. My organic soil bar at the local composter has closed, because they got bought out by a local waste/recycling business when Vermont mandated food composting.

The Askoll 20 tank soil may still be viable, but sand has choked it out from properly recycling mulm and fish waste.

I have three retired tubs in my folks’ basement since my outdoor tubs experience. I may use the holiday break to pull those tubs, and sort the substrate with my five sifters, as well as the Askoll substrate, mostly to remove sand.

I will continue to keep organic substrate tanks, with 1-1.5 inches of organic topsoil, and the most minimal gravel cap to keep plants rooted.