On 8/16/2021 at 3:56 PM, Streetwise said:

FYI, I killed my iPhone XS by taking a pond photo in hot weather. I took previous underwater photos, but now I have a refurbished iPhone on order.

That blows, I’m constantly using my XS underwater, maybe I should stop because I’d like to get a few more years out of this overpriced (but nice) toy. 

• Like 2

My sources of mulm include organic soil, fish waste, and decomposing wood, which is chewed on by various inhabitants. I stage water and floating plants that I remove, and squeeze out sponge filters, all to save snails and shrimp fry. I just can't pour out the mulm, when it is so full of aquatic life and nutrients.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 8/7/2021 at 1:39 PM, Streetwise said:

I just don’t trust that my lake plants are free of zebra mussels yet.

When I read this I couldn’t help but face palm. Last year I took some “wild caught” plants and added them in my garden pond. I luckily dodged a bullet and there hasn’t been any belligerent bivalves spotted in northern California. It was Ludwigia peploides for those who were curious.

9DEB9BAC-298D-46CF-A645-F42DE307662E.jpeg

@Burbotlips, you should be able to look up state information for invasive species in your local bodies of water. If you haven’t seen them before, I have a video that shows them:

This is on Lake Champlain, which connects to the Hudson to the south and the Richelieu to the north, and the Great Lakes from there, and with the Atlantic from both directions.

On 9/8/2021 at 8:34 PM, Streetwise said:

@Tihshho, while they might be crunchy snacks, the risk is too great. Even though I saw no zebra mussels in my collected plants, I never moved them into my tanks.

I’m curious..would zebra mussels be affected and possibly eliminated by things such as alum dips or copper medication or others that kill snails effectively so you could use collected plants. 

• 3 weeks later...