1 minute ago, Streetwise said:

@Anita, my vintage village apartment has heat included, wide windowsills, and a dirt basement. Nothing is level except for my camera. I do have chlorine, rather than chloramine, for my local water. However, I may still live in a flood zone.

I can relate, haha! I grew up on well water and a septic tank (don't flush the toilet while someone is in the shower, or else!). I guess that is the trade-off for the windows. But still, you live in the Shire! 🌈

• Thanks 1

@Isaac M, that is an Askoll Pure L LED kit with stand, 68 liters or about 18 gallons. It is like a European 20H.

I found it massively-discounted a few years ago at a tiny pet store in Berlin, Vermont, gathering dust on a shelf, and It was my gateway back into the hobby. I think it is an Italian brand, but it may have been bought by Fluval at some point, because some of the components are from Fluval. The original setup has all the lighting and filtration hidden in the hood, which is really cool, but centers the light on the front half of the tank, which I outgrew. The tank is flawless, and the leveling screws on the stand are very useful in my old apartment.

What is really interesting to me is that I have never seen another Askoll tank in-person, or on any forum. I have a theory about potential marketing. If you say the name out-loud in English, you might be misunderstood.

Cheers from mulm and tannins!

• Haha 3

@Streetwise excuse me? What did you just call me? Just kidding 😂 

I just took a look at the spec sheet and wow, that is really cool, I have never seen a filter in the hood before, its a very unique all in one. I have never heard of this brand before. But yeah, your theory does check out haha 

• Haha 1

It looks like they took an HOB, sliced it into horizontal sections, and found a way to hide it in a recessed hood that is just proud of the rim, with most of the business within that top layer of striped tape. They even provided a chamber for an optional auto-feeder, if I remember correctly.

I think I have previous photos in this thread that show more of the original setup. Even after choosing my own lights and filters, I still like having the tape layer to hide the waterline, and my Apex probe mounts, while enjoying the aesthetics of a rimless tank.

• Like 1

I just saw part of the youtube video of your tour. That is a really cool filter system. I was able to catch a small glimpse of it. My mind is running wild now about what kind of things can be done with something like that haha yeah that tape layer is cool to have, I try to not run too many rimless tanks as I get hard water deposits at the water line when it evaporates. 

• Like 1

I will try to share some photos of the hood. I have run it periodically, just for fun, even after my upgrades. With 3D printing, anyone could experiment with similar concepts.

I like the idea of aquarium tape, even on rimmed tanks. It could provide a nice way to hide the waterline and protect potential jumpers, by keeping a lower water level. In a bedroom environment, it could also shield LEDs from direct line-of-sight.

• Like 1

That would be cool! I would love to see those pictures. 

Yeah that is true, there are a lot of ways that it could be useful. You may even be able to hide the light if you can recess it deep enough. I am thinking you can also add riparium plants where the planters could be hidden a little better throughout the aquarium. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't done anything with my tanks in a while. I still wanted to take a few photos. This 16 gallon bow has been a real source of joy. I tried giving the tank away because it was my marine tank that got flooded during tropical storm Irene in 2011. I think this was the first tank where I refined my layering for organic soil and sand/gravel cap, and got good plant growth.

The fish, shrimp, and snails do an amazing job at cleaning, and the plants drive all the filtration. All I have to do is feed and top-off water.

4DEA4A8B-E6C8-45AD-B52F-45B610542F0B_1_201_a.jpeg.6da0e1b69dba3994a147dc3a3cd44208.jpeg

AD48F84C-BDFE-42AE-A1D4-42C1CB6E48C1.jpeg.4124e2b68889a5c99239933a85060e71.jpeg

5E73F0D9-5DC5-4A3A-882C-AACAAB6179BB.jpeg.13a7fff731b9867e924f6d900c4cf2ce.jpeg

D92B7743-945B-4657-82FB-ED4CB46F2BC5.jpeg.221a4009ae533d6fbea3e617b3eda576.jpeg

9542A11F-41F0-4829-8161-24E652A6EE62.jpeg.f01bd4e83c08e1734a62a7bf157c9065.jpeg

4D2C272B-35FD-4096-8BB9-A3ADE9095938.jpeg.d1ef430f4227b0eb0c74ec252ee33ad8.jpeg

5C21FDDF-1E48-4D1C-9644-BF81D4F484DC.jpeg.b3d769606adfc0c0e87e4372eed0126e.jpeg

I love my hair-algae mullet.

• Like 4
  • Love 1