On 9/29/2020 at 9:02 AM, Streetwise said:

Thanks Brian. I don't use any additives, I rarely change any water, and I never gravel vac. If you are interested in organic soil tanks, I highly recommend getting Diana Walstad's book, The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium. I have the Apple Books version, so I can annotate and keep bookmarks.

https://dianawalstad.com

Cheers

Awesome, Jason!

Thanks very much for the info and book suggestion. 

Cheers,

----Brian

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is my very messy 16 bow tonight, which gets ambient light from five different windows, even with drapes and blinds. I really need to move it to a better location. It grows algae like mad, and all the fish just hang out in the crypts, except for the yellow shrimp, who do what they want.

New additions are a pair of Killifish, and what might be a Siamese Algae eater, although I may have picked a Flying Fox by accident. I only put the Killifish in here because I have an optional lid, but I might move them to my Askoll 20 which has the water level lower because of the tank graphics.

IMG_1708.JPG.2adb72472d12d15e9c9326ee525c2848.JPG

This is a terrible picture, but this is the first time that I have spotted my Killifish together. I was busy breaking down the canister when they emerged from the plants. I'll take a better shot later. I am hoping that when I switch to sponge filters, I will get to see more of the fish in this tank.

IMG_1742.JPG.9bd58baa1be76a7e26bde258ea6b372f.JPG

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

I am trying out some Easy Carbon to treat this monster I pulled out:

IMG_1800.JPG.9c3054e69f060d1e1d225f7002866188.JPG

The Easy Carbon works really well for me. It usually takes about 2 days after I drip it on the leaf. It turns all pink...and then my guppies will eat it! Sometimes, the leaf has a little damage underneath, but other times, it's just fine. I hope it works well for you too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Your gravel looks a lot like gravel I just bought for my 20L. Is it larger than "regular" aquarium gravel? I wonder how well it works for corycats. I ordered it online and really like the look. Both of my other aquariums have plain black gravel.

• Like 1

As my oldest planted tank, this one has mostly Imagitarium sand and gravel over the soil. That gravel is probably average-sized.

I like the Caribsea Rio Grande gravel, which is slightly smaller, and I want to try Peace River, which is even smaller.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 1

I like grasses and runner plants. The runner distance seems very consistent at about 3.75 inches or 95 mm.

IMG_1976.JPG.9e57a825d3c04362f0cea365e8f1bac5.JPG

The Betta is doing well. She seems to have the colors of the individual LEDs from my Nano, plus green. The sponge filter is building a bubble nest for her. When I top-off water, I pour it over the terrestrial moss.

IMG_1977.JPG.db5804087507e7f09abd15a55eedabb7.JPG

IMG_1978.JPG.ec8f5301728692f2de880973e7ffe2ea.JPG

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 6