Cheers @OceanTruth! That is moss from the Vermont woods, and it may also come with lichen and other surprises. I pour top-off water on it, but it is very resilient, since it can survive our winters. It is not suitable for planting underwater, but it can survive at the waterline.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Thanks 1

Cheers @Trish! I have about 72 gallons worth of tanks and buckets in my apartment. It is an old building with poor insulation, but heat is included. I'm not sure if humidity is an issue, but it might be a positive in the dry winter months. I run AC in the summer, and try to keep the place at about 68-72º F year-round.

Sorry for the late reply. The plan: one bucket each for:

🪣 Decomposing maple 🍁 leaves

🪣 Spare wood + foam + plants

🪣 Off-gassing chlorine

I ended up adding mulm, accidental shrimp fry, and water lettuce. I used my spare lights, and dropped in some Co-Op sponge filters. Each is still different.

I hope to deliver a massive amount of water lettuce to the turtle and goldfish tanks at work tomorrow.

I think that five gallon buckets might be the perfect summer tub size for apartment or condo dwellers, so these may all move outside for a season.

While I will continue my long-term maple experiment, I really want to breed more shrimp that I can continue to keep.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 2

@Streetwise does the rubber plant hold up long term? I make diy riparium planters for my aquariums and I have had success with some plants but am always looking for more. I have always had a hard time finding a species list for plants that do well in a riparium setting. I mostly use peace lilly, prayer plant, hygrophila corymbosa (which produces these tiny purple flowers), lucky bamboo, bacopa and another grassy plant I forgot the name of. 

Yes! I am glad I gave organic soil a try, the balance you can achieve with heavy planting and the soil makes aquarium maintenance so easy and makes a lush forest. I have a 55 gallon, 40 gallon and 10 gallon that are dirted. 

• Like 1

I hope to give away my rubber plant cuttings because they will outgrow my lights, but I enjoy fostering them. I find that an individual cutting will either rot or survive within about a week. If they develop a root system, they will thrive.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 1

I moved my utility 2.5 to the window with the other 2.5 gallon tanks. I also removed the glass dividers and the foam that I was using as substrate and glass support, leaving just the organic soil from the center chamber. The soil and cap collapsed to a little hill, and I planted some plants, and scattered some fine gravel on it. I left all the mulm.  

I could have just redone the whole thing, but I thought it looked interesting. I will probably put another color of neo shrimp in there, like the other two in the triptych.

41E18222-D77C-4E9F-BFED-4EA02F011BCC.jpeg.5c2e3f7e5248bd1658d6e03390771961.jpeg

• Like 6

Just now, Streetwise said:

I moved my utility 2.5 to the window with the other 2.5 gallon tanks. I also removed the glass dividers and the foam that I was using as substrate and glass support, leaving just the organic soil from the center chamber. The soil and cap collapsed to a little hill, and I planted some plants, and scattered some fine gravel on it. I left all the mulm.  

I could have just redone the whole thing, but I thought it looked interesting. I will probably put another color of neo shrimp in there, like the other two in the triptych.

Nice symmetry!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Streetwise said:

Oo-oo-oo, look at those deep window sills! I'm jealous. 😍

• Like 1

@Anita, my vintage village apartment has heat included, wide windowsills, and a dirt basement. Nothing is level except for my camera. I do have chlorine, rather than chloramine, in my local water. However, I may still live in a flood zone.

Edited by Streetwise