On 7/4/2021 at 12:47 PM, Streetwise said:

@Trish, everyone seems to be getting along. I wonder if it helped to add the Betta last, after everyone else was established.

Bet he's loving the space, lots of exploring.  I'd like to get a betta for each tank, I haven't really got a centrepiece fish for any of the the tanks, outside of the loach tank.    

Edited by Trish
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 4:20 PM, Streetwise said:

She seems to enjoy the space. She spots me from a distance when I get near the tank.

My Bolivian rams are that way, they then jockey for positions in the area where I normally drop their sinking pellets. They even hang around if I remove a leaf in their proximity by hand.

• Like 2

@Streetwise I think they are more mellow with the other tank mates, and each other because of my heavy planted mini jungle, and because I have created at least 6 different caves for them in and under the driftwood stumps. As for friends with me I think it might be more of a case of Pavlov's Rams, but they might know I don't pose harm to them as they do seem to associate me with food.

• Like 2

@Streetwiseno disrespect intended! For the most part of my 53 years that I've been keeping fish now my budget was very limited and modest. I've had some larger tanks as well but not for the first 25 years of it. The multiple pieces of driftwood in my current tank that I combined into two bigger stumps, were collected over a period of about twenty years as one-sies, and two-sies whenever I visited a nice fish store with a good selection. Anywhere from $10 to $35, more would've been a deal breaker back then. I've still got a large box of wood in my garage with enough small pieces to build several more stumps with caves. I've also got several piles of rocks suitable for aquariums that I've collected on my travels in my garden. My wife refers to it as my pebble stash.

By the way your tanks are beautiful and illustrate quite well how it isn't the budget that that makes a beautiful tank but how much time in studying, planning, passion, and maintenance one is willing to invest. Even the substrate was acquired over a longer drawn out period. In this hobby dreams are abundant but their reaiization in my experience always takes time, for me it was 53 years to get the tank I dreamed of as a boy who was mesmerized by cardinal tetras in the pet section of a department store.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

@Jungle Fan, I was just joking because you were describing so many things that I enjoy in the hobby! I am trying not to setup more tanks at this time, which is difficult when I see cool tanks on the forum!

I manually removed excess hair algae, and poked the substrate. I expect a bit of a mess for a few days.

8A9F8849-0EBE-4FF6-8415-BB60FFBC5595.jpeg.bb11c3c5ae407edabea3069ccbb01b3a.jpeg

79C69C07-5E61-4C08-BDC6-EEC3720F3EE1.jpeg.66c5c65764e10ccb301c38da77a36edd.jpeg

8EBBCBC9-B33A-40E6-B4E4-B2D5D39DCFB0.jpeg.1e36beea740ac1bd4b2a9c494a25d037.jpeg

• Like 4

@Beardedbillygoat1975, I am a hardcore symmetry Nerm when it comes to technology. It helps me relax, and looks nice in photos.

This means that when I use sponge filters, I will either place one in the center, or use a pair, with one in each back corner.

This was the only HoB that fit my aesthetic requirements, and it is also an excellent filter design.

I really like the pair I have, and will be ordering another pair soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Askoll 20 has been stalled on plant growth, and I think it is because of the too-deep sand cap. I removed at least 5 lbs of sand and made an absolute mess.

3BE2E0D8-73DD-40A2-BA57-CAF53682E4DB.jpeg.18128eff0b68f5d7dfee86d4d132e3a3.jpeg

I am going to give it a few days to clear, while I keep wringing out sponges, and stirring up mulm. Then I will setup the wood, and replant.

• Like 6

How deep of a sand bed for the cap would you reccemend?

For my betta rescue tank I have 1.5" of soil, and 1.5" of substrate to cap it. I just added dwarf sag to it not even a week ago and its already pearling. I have witnessed rapid growth with doing it that way.