What did you get done today?

Cory

On 1/17/2024 at 8:37 AM, Odd Duck said:

Wood can be very frustrating.  I’ve had wood float after having it in water over a year.  I have this story documented in my 100 G nanofish tank link.  If wood doesn’t sink within a month now, I just screw it down to slate.  I’m over that whole “destroy my plantings and need to redo it” nonsense.

Yea - i have a piece of wood (malyasian?) that refuses to sink after a month. I ended up putting it under a rock 😉

For today i'm in a whiny mood since i can't go anywhere (snowed in; more precisely i live at the top of a very steep road they don't salt nor plow).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/17/2024 at 3:25 PM, anewbie said:

For today i'm in a whiny mood since i can't go anywhere (snowed in; more precisely i live at the top of a very steep road they don't salt nor plow).

We all get cabin fever when snowed in. I was in the same boat for a few days.  
Whining helps 😛

• Haha 1

On 1/17/2024 at 2:25 PM, anewbie said:

Yea - i have a piece of wood (malyasian?) that refuses to sink after a month. I ended up putting it under a rock 😉

Sometimes whining does help, gets it out of your system.  😉  Cabin fever is definitely frustrating.  My hubby gets it after about 20 minutes. 😆  I’m such a bookworm and homebody it would probably take me 20 days.  😆 🤣 

I had the offending wood bits fully submerged under bricks for a few months at first, then once moved to the tank, fastened to rocks for about a year all together.  Cut the zip ties (surely they’re water logged now?) and up they went.  They are now fastened to slate.  The next time I had wood that didn’t sink when I was ready for it to be sunk, I went straight to fastening it to slate.  Plus I needed those pieces to stand upright to get the effect I wanted.

I’m now a big fan of fastening to slate unless the wood sinks fast and I only want it to lay down.  Otherwise slate, a concrete / masonry drill bit, a pilot hole, and stainless steel wood screws are my best friend.  😝 

On 1/16/2024 at 12:02 PM, Flipper said:

Yesterday, I removed my Spider Wood and glued another rock to help it stay put in my tank.  It still wants to fall over. I boiled it originally and I've had this wood in water for over a year, and it just wants to float and fall over.  It's like this stuff is Styrofoam and impossible to keep it steady.  Huge nuisance to me!  It's so beautiful but I can't even do a water change without it bouncing around. 

So, in truth, I guess I didn't get anything productive done.  😕

You’re in DFW, right?  If you want, hubby and I can help you attach it to slate.  I even have slate we can use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/17/2024 at 5:54 PM, Odd Duck said:

You’re in DFW, right?  If you want, hubby and I can help you attach it to slate.  I even have slate we can use.

That's incredibly nice.  I have some flat slate pieces, but superglue and polyester sewing thread just didn't work.  This spiderwood is just beautiful to me, but it floats forever 😵‍💫

Let me PM you and you can reply at your leisure.  Thanks a million.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cleaned up the glass on the spotted congo puffer adult colony 40 breeder ....then gave them a bit of a MTS and ramshorn meal 

Screenshot_20240120_193235_VideoPlayer.jpg.d232d765ccf8f428cf82e1666f3e8f8a.jpg

Screenshot_20240120_193224_VideoPlayer.jpg.8821bacf9470b49217dfd499cd49e665.jpg

20240120_184932_1.gif.2737d9925ff0ea01c583c53f9373e8fa.gif

Also cleaned off the front glass of the 270 pond for the hold back cross river and his large colony of cuban limia. Probugs ecofresh dubia roaches are a hit with this puffer. The superworm version and soldier fly version also are eaten. 

20240120_184339_1.gif.db025d62bbe176ac8af853387a504611.gif

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I set up these mesh strips (?) rolls (?) on my lights. I think I have way more light than I need on my tank. A new light with RGBs, that's dimable is on my wishlist but I pretty much have to go with this brand and their lights ain't cheap. So in the meantime I thought I'd try this, and I think I like it quite a bit. This is a mesh that is originally intended for trees as protection against deer and other animals that like eating the bark. It comes in rolls.

20240204_141045.jpg

20240204_141153.jpg

20240204_141219.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I went to Ikea recently and got some stuff. Hung the light and hanging plants. Now I just need to find the two plants I want. Spider plant and String of Turtles. I think those two plants are not toxic to cats or birds. The cats love to sit in the chairs and watch the Rope fish. I did use ankers for the hanging stuff. I also added the spider wood and rescaped the tank. I love how it looks now. Ignore the cloudy water it will clear up. I had to move the tank to hang the stuff. 

20240204_145722_Original.jpeg

• Like 4

Cory, you were so passionate about that rolling stool it was almost enough to convince me I needed one myself, and I wouldn't even have any place to put it. I'm glad to see you having fun in the fish room. 

I tried adding a pendant light to my 35 gallon hex, but decided I hated having it there when sitting on the couch since the light was now above me, and very bright. 

• Haha 1

Today I watched some of my medaka fry hatch out and started on an experiment regarding modifying the walstad method. Some trimming of plants and removal of snails happened here and there too. Also researched some interesting new plants. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 8:51 PM, Creedmoor Aquatics said:

I tried feeding my new white cloud mountain minnows both freeze dried brine shrimp and freeze dried tubifex worms. I learned they will eat both easily, but will not eat from the surface. The food has to be floating in the water column to attract their interest!

How do you get the freeze dried food into the water column? Mine stays floating forever.

On 2/8/2024 at 10:33 PM, Katherine said:

How do you get the freeze dried food into the water column? Mine stays floating forever.

I soaked them in my Aquarium Co-Op Measuring Glass, and then dumped it in in front of a powerhead 🙂

In future I'll stick the dry cubes to the glass like Sera O-Nip tabs. Once they get wet they don't really stick. 

On 2/8/2024 at 10:59 PM, Creedmoor Aquatics said:

I soaked them in my Aquarium Co-Op Measuring Glass, and then dumped it in in front of a powerhead 🙂

In future I'll stick the dry cubes to the glass like Sera O-Nip tabs. Once they get wet they don't really stick. 

I haven't been able to get my cubes to stick for more than about 30 seconds. I'll have to try presoaking. I don't have a powerhead, but maybe if I put it in the path of the ez flow that would work.

On 2/9/2024 at 12:10 AM, Katherine said:

I haven't been able to get my cubes to stick for more than about 30 seconds. I'll have to try presoaking. I don't have a powerhead, but maybe if I put it in the path of the ez flow that would work.

If I can't get them to stick I also considered getting a $20 magnetic stirrer and using that to really get the freeze dried foods soaked through and through before adding to the tank. Haven't tried it, but its an idea!

On 2/8/2024 at 9:51 PM, Creedmoor Aquatics said:

I tried feeding my new white cloud mountain minnows both freeze dried brine shrimp and freeze dried tubifex worms. I learned they will eat both easily, but will not eat from the surface. The food has to be floating in the water column to attract their interest!

Oh wow that makes sense. I JUST got some white cloud minnows and I will float it now! Here is a pic⬇️

04FAE220-3271-4829-9934-22561AE303F5.jpeg

64F3540D-F19A-4B43-B928-EE117FE28DDF.jpeg

E4BCADA0-38F7-49FC-AD5A-F7EE7C262E0C.jpeg

• Like 1

Today I moved 2 fish from the treatment tank back into the main tank that I have re-established by removing everything. I have been treating flukes for the past month 

It is not yet cycled but I have moved a cycled filter over so it should be OK. Also there is a lot of water (720 lit / 190gal) so it will help the filters start up faster. 

This is Sally and Clementine. They are both ranchu goldfish but nothing fancy. Just LFS quality. 

I expect I'll move a few more over next week. In total I have 12 fish that need to move in. I might keep 2 of them in the treatment tank as they have swim bladder issues (presumably due to genetics) 

IMG_20240214_114537.jpg.a60db58d880624eb10020d11d635f90d.jpg

• Like 1