What did you get done today?

Cory

On 12/2/2021 at 11:00 PM, Intuos said:

Started scaping my 10g, using fluval stratum with lava rock is media bags underneath to add height as my substrate, with green jade stone as hard scape. Looking forward to doing the planting with rotala orange juice, rotala h'ra, alternanthera reineckii mini, hydrocotyle triparita, Micranthemum tweediel monte carlo, ludwigia palustris mini super red, microsorum pteropus trident, anubias nana bonsai, anubias barteri petite and christmas moss. 

IMG_20211202_222623.jpg

IMG_20211202_222557.jpg

Planted the 10g today 

IMG_20211203_214805.jpg.5bbce2b19a425ee230618e49e4b505b2.jpgIMG_20211203_214635.jpg.b9fc4b284e2f19c056dcea64f711a87e.jpg

Edited by Intuos
  • Like 7
  • Love 2

Other than routine tank testing and maintenance, I took care of a couple of bigger tasks that I've been putting off.

1 - I moved the light on my aquaponics setup about 1 foot higher than it was. Hubby had to help me with that. Definitely not a two-hand job. We got it though. I even moved my chicken wall hanging about a foot higher, too. The plants had gotten big enough to hide it.

20211204_102133.jpg.b2b1bca82e5f88fe6b22aa1c55b7bbe8.jpg

The foil along the top is to block the light from glaring in our faces when we're in bed. Doesn't serve any other purpose than that. I keep meaning to pick up another piece of black foam board (I use it for aquarium backdrops), but I keep forgetting. Eventually I'll remember to do that. That would look better than the foil.

Also, finally got the emergent plants in the back of my Endler tank in the living room rearranged. One, I added a light. They were really struggling since that part of the room doesn't get much ambient light. Two, I finally got them resituated inside the tank so I can actually get the cover glass off or moved without fully dropping the pots in the tank. Been meaning to do that for MONTHS, but I couldn't figure out how to accomplish it. Stumbled across videos on YouTube by Plant Life Project. Andrew shared a bunch of information on various videos that helped me figure out my options. I ended up getting kitchen drawer organizers that had slits down each side, using my soldering iron to poke holes throughout the bottom of each one, and added coated wire that hangs over the back of the tank to secure each one. It doesn't look much different from the front, unless someone looks closely at the upper inside back of the tank, but it sure will make a huge difference in cleaning the cover glass when it's needed. Tank is cloudy from all I did this morning, but it'll clear up in no time.

20211204_102045.jpg.25d45922c377ad4181e820d8b0f95b87.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

So yesterday was water change today; today is zucchini day:

red.jpg.cf55500ecc7c682be5a3bfe52f906e62.jpg

Both L204 were also eating but they are extremely shy (even though i've had them over a year); so when i walked over they scattered. The small one is hiding under the edge hoping i'll quickly leave 😉

• Like 3

On 12/3/2021 at 3:51 PM, Intuos said:

Planted the 10g today 

@Intuos It's beautiful!

It's Monday, so I tested the water, added Easy Green, and topped off the tank, which I haven't had to do more than a couple of times.  I also had to fish out a piece of tinsel that fell off me, I guess.  Fin the Betta apparently thought it was his and I had to fight him for it.

All of you have amazing tanks and I love looking at them. 

Now it's time to put on some YouTube videos or something on Netflix and sit and crochet.  One of my sons-in-law needs a watch cap.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Moved my four white clouds to a new home in my office tank.  Previously, they were in my Asia biome, but I was worried it would be to warm for them, so I moved them here with no heater.  Hoping they adjust alright.  They're still very skittish, but they had a rough morning!

IMG_20211206_134807_01.jpg.dcc69820c87147c5be47f448b9f34430.jpg

• Like 5

A new fish store in the area had a grand opening today. I stopped by and met the owner briefly. It was heavy on marine inventory, but I appreciated he asked for input on freshwater products/stock to carry. I made sure to squeeze a plug in for Xtreme foods. 

I hope the store does well. Now to think of ways to support them with my business. 

Will

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 12/6/2021 at 12:51 PM, ADMWNDSR83 said:

Moved my four white clouds to a new home in my office tank.  Previously, they were in my Asia biome, but I was worried it would be to warm for them, so I moved them here with no heater.  Hoping they adjust alright.  They're still very skittish, but they had a rough morning!

IMG_20211206_134807_01.jpg.dcc69820c87147c5be47f448b9f34430.jpg

They're a great office fish, not too distracting since they don't interact with people like my mollies or gourami. The white clouds just do their own thing and I find it calming to watch for an occasional moment during my workday.

I'm setting up a new security camera at work and needed a test subject, so my office white cloud tank is filling in:Screenshot_20211209-143043__01.jpg.adaa37e962ee117f2416aa6ae04332eb.jpg

• Like 3

Did water changes on 29,29,120,5; went to take a shower but stopped by the 40 and found a baby lemon bn trapped. Figure he would be better off in the food rich 29; so snagged him and tossed him in; took in 30 seconds to find a nice spot to hang out and 2 hours later he's still in the same spot eating away:

pl.jpg.7ea9ea3a428a139d28782949b849cdb7.jpg

I would guess he is 2 or 3 months old - nearly an inch long. i wonder just how many of these are in the 40; i never see any but i know the parents have had 100's so there are probably a few here and there and everywhere but this one is now in the black 29:

b29.jpg.7d2005aae3cb814c2beb7381b4da5286.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 3

On 12/2/2021 at 7:59 AM, anewbie said:

Water change on 5 gallon; moved the 8 kubotai rasbora in there to the 40B. I thought they would enjoy mixing with the 10 in the 40B but instead they grouped up together faced off the other group and had a turf war. Luckily no injuries during the war and now they worked out their differences and are one big happy (or unhappy) family.  This leaves 4 ember and 1 neon in the 5 (they've been there for about 18 months); maybe when it warm up I'll try adding a few shrimps:

tt2.jpg.7db226cd17508a1c456ec09bd933d433.jpgtt1.jpg.2b7a7c435148c6da473d98a62a2847c8.jpg

From right to left the obvious plants are Lagenandra Bleeding Heart (you can see a new leaf forming); tiny sword plant;  green greco crypt; pinto anubia; flamingo crypt (turned a bit green when i reduce light - this plant has already split into two); and behind it the second picture another nice crypt (nurii rosen maiden crypt which has been in there for 8 months).

This tank looks great! I love the mix of colors and textures in your plants, and the natural vibe.

On 12/11/2021 at 2:26 PM, anewbie said:

Did water changes on 29,29,120,5; went to take a shower but stopped by the 40 and found a baby lemon bn trapped. Figure he would be better off in the food rich 29; so snagged him and tossed him in; took in 30 seconds to find a nice spot to hang out and 2 hours later he's still in the same spot eating away:

pl.jpg.7ea9ea3a428a139d28782949b849cdb7.jpg

I would guess he is 2 or 3 months old - nearly an inch long. i wonder just how many of these are in the 40; i never see any but i know the parents have had 100's so there are probably a few here and there and everywhere but this one is now in the black 29:

b29.jpg.7d2005aae3cb814c2beb7381b4da5286.jpg

Love the color of those swords with that textured emerald green plant! Beautiful tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2021 at 10:27 AM, PineSong said:

Love the color of those swords with that textured emerald green plant! Beautiful tank.

Yea - i've had those swordtails for years - i need to get a new one to mix up the genetics - the male is 2nd generation (the first generation male died last month after 5 years; the females are like 5th generation - usually i take them to the pet shop as new ones begin to grow out); it is just hard to find good red and green swordtails - there are all these new fancy dancy shapes and colour combinations  that don't interest me - i just like the plain red and plain green ones.

The large emerald green plant is a aponogeton bolivianus.

Edited by anewbie

Today, for the first time, I have a berried shrimp. I've been struggling with these guys for almost 5 months, even accidentally killing about 7/8 of them recently. I still think they look like creepy bugs, but you know, they're my creepy bugs. ❤️ 

I planted 4 species of plants that I've never planted before (they've been floating), plus a bit more of a species I already had. I put all those plants in about 1 square foot of my main tank, so that makes a fun bright spot that had been blah. Feels good to look at. It's peaceful and perky.

For the first time, I added nerites to my main tank. I hope they pig down my rock-hard algae, and I hope they're both boys so they don't lay eggs. Regardless, they're cute. (And it's humorous that their bodies look like pistachios when they hide in their shell.) I'll soon add another nerite that has stripes the colors of dark chocolate and milk chocolate. I would've today, but I'd plopped it into a tank with fish in QT. (Yay for foresight. 🙄)

I noticed the frogbit I recently bought, and had trimmed the roots of down to an inch, suddenly has roots about 4" long. With one, I could even tell that it got longer over the course of the day! 

Most importantly, all this stuff put together has made me feel alive for the first time in about a month. I've been having a particularly painful time emotionally. While I still feel the pain, it's such a relief to have this bit of pleasantness added to the pain. It'll even get to continue, since I can watch the plants grow, and wait for the shrimp to have her shrimplets. These things have been a positive for today, and gives a little hope of positives for the near future. That's why I took the time to mention it here.

• Like 4
  • Love 2