What did you get done today?

Cory

Threw a temper tantrum and took 3 of the 7 "never-clod" airstones out of my sponge filters and threw them away. Big bubbles are going to have to be good enough until I find an airstone that isn't a pain. Sponge filters are great 'cause you don't have to mess with them much, but if the dumb little airstone inside needs tinkering every water change they negate the advantage of the sponge. Those tiny canisters keep looking better and better.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 7:43 PM, Ken said:

Threw a temper tantrum and took 3 of the 7 "never-clod" airstones out of my sponge filters and threw them away. Big bubbles are going to have to be good enough until I find an airstone that isn't a pain. Sponge filters are great 'cause you don't have to mess with them much, but if the dumb little airstone inside needs tinkering every water change they negate the advantage of the sponge. Those tiny canisters keep looking better and better.

Do you have exceptionally hard water?  Maybe you’re tightening the stones down more than you need?  I barely tighten them before using them because I think I was over-tightening them at first.

I’ve barely had to fiddle with mine  after I figured out to barely tighten them and I have fairly hard water.  I’ve only just now replaced the felt in some of my longest running stones (around 9 months in use, maybe?).  Some others could benefit from replacing the felt, but other than that, the No-Clogs have been really good for me.

• Like 1

I finally felt like the 29 gallon was ready and moved my shoal of pea puffers from the 20 gallon long into the 29 gallon.  Added some big Anubias that may be temporary or permanent depending on how big the other plants get and how the puffers behave.

I also got some floating spawning mops made.

928E7723-467E-475D-81B2-F11AE7FA8FC2.jpeg

1E693A92-05F2-4DC8-85B3-39BC3A96A6B5.jpeg

91311C88-6672-4158-99CA-2D020B8899EA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 11/9/2021 at 7:51 PM, Odd Duck said:

Do you have exceptionally hard water?  Maybe you’re tightening the stones down more than you need?  I barely tighten them before using them because I think I was over-tightening them at first.

I’ve barely had to fiddle with mine  after I figured out to barely tighten them and I have fairly hard water.  I’ve only just now replaced the felt in some of my longest running stones (around 9 months in use, maybe?).  Some others could benefit from replacing the felt, but other than that, the No-Clogs have been really good for me.

I have really hard water. I have changed the felts repeatedly over the last several weeks. Something changed. The older no-clogs worked well for me. The new ones not so much, if you go to the CoOp website they are now advertised as adjustable, not no- clog. I agree with the rename.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2021 at 9:31 PM, Ken said:

I have really hard water. I have changed the felts repeatedly over the last several weeks. Something changed. The older no-clogs worked well for me. The new ones not so much, if you go to the CoOp website they are now advertised as adjustable, not no- clog. I agree with the rename.

I seem to remember seeing something about the new batch of felts not being the same quality as the old ones?  Maybe call them and see what the status is with that and see if they can help you out since you’re having so many issues.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2021 at 7:34 PM, Odd Duck said:

I seem to remember seeing something about the new batch of felts not being the same quality as the old ones?  Maybe call them and see what the status is with that and see if they can help you out since you’re having so many issues.

I think Cory was taking about this. I think he said they’re trying to design an AC brand airstone. 

• Like 2

Did a water change on both of my tanks, cleaned out the HOB on both. Still have algae in both tanks but It looks like I have it better under control now. Still love my Sterbai Cory's which were the latest addition. All fish seem to be thriving! 

I broke an airstone so need to get me new ones for the small tank and need to take a look for a better airpump than the one i have. Its noisy and doesn't produce the amount of air I would like (Serra air 550)

Ruud

Welp. Got some new apistos and the male wasn't doing the best after night 1.. moved him to the 20 gallon mbuna fry tank and had to move the babies to the big boi tank .... treated the male with salt and seems like the kiddos are doing good so far. Def need to rehome a few though 20211111_183137.jpg.b2818449b14381698bcbced1f86caf48.jpg

Edited by Kyle murfitt
  • Like 1

I received my order from AC, but very disappointed not to find the weights I wanted in the box.  Unfortunately, that's on me - it seems I forgot to order them.  I tried out the tweezer planter thingy and I can't handle it.  I quilt and embroider and crochet, but I can't manage tweezers.  Such a dunce!

I have fish now - neon tetras and a betta, also two Nerite snails.  The betta is small, black and tan/mustard, but beautiful - not as colorful as my last betta.  He was Boris the Red, and I told my little grandnephew who lived with me that he was Russian.  I'd like some cories and otos still, but one step at a time.

Y'all have no idea how helpful it has been to me to be able to read about your fish and tanks and issues.  Thank you!

• Like 4

I gave away juvenile swordtails and high fin balloon mollies today to a very nice guy that just started in the hobby 5 months ago. Now I have my 10 gallon empty again 🙂 and thinking about what to put in it after a decent clean up!

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 9:33 PM, lindabee53 said:

I tried out the tweezer planter thingy and I can't handle it. 

Stick with it!  It’s a bit like chopsticks, it takes a little practice.  Once you get the hang of it, it gets sooooooo much easier to plant small plants.  I can do tiny little tissue culture plants To be clear, I do have extra experience with “tweezers”.  My favorites for planting tiny plants are old, worn surgical forceps.  😉 They grip without crushing tissue and are worn enough they don’t damage the tiny plant.

But I went through the stages of learning how best to use them to handle all sorts of things, so if I can do it, you can!

You should take a look at my newest sig link, the 20 high laser cory one (brace yourself, it’s stupid long!) and especially the 29 G reset for pea puffers link (if you want to see a disaster reboot), even my 75 G reboot is worth a look for the bad before and good after.  I’m a terribly lazy aquarist (especially for having so many tanks), so if I can do this, anybody can!

On 11/13/2021 at 9:09 AM, Odd Duck said:

Stick with it!  It’s a bit like chopsticks, it takes a little practice.  Once you get the hang of it, it gets sooooooo much easier to plant small plants.  I can do tiny little tissue culture plants To be clear, I do have extra experience with “tweezers”.  My favorites for planting tiny plants are old, worn surgical forceps.  😉 They grip without crushing tissue and are worn enough they don’t damage the tiny plant.

But I went through the stages of learning how best to use them to handle all sorts of things, so if I can do it, you can!

You should take a look at my newest sig link, the 20 high laser cory one (brace yourself, it’s stupid long!) and especially the 29 G reset for pea puffers link (if you want to see a disaster reboot), even my 75 G reboot is worth a look for the bad before and good after.  I’m a terribly lazy aquarist (especially for having so many tanks), so if I can do this, anybody can!

Not like chopsticks, but I grew up eating with them.  I guess I thought the tweezers would make things easier, but they're currently lying on the bottom.  In trying to retrieve them, I got soaked to the shoulder.  I think the 10" stool will be retired and I'll get the stepladder out.  😒

I looked at the 20 high post, and you're right, it's wicked long.  I do learn so much from all of you.  I'll look at the others after I cut some more fabric.  I have gifts I'm working on and time is getting short.

Meanwhile, I have plants floating, mostly because I got hung up on them/in them while trying out the tweezers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/13/2021 at 9:29 PM, lindabee53 said:

Not like chopsticks, but I grew up eating with them.  I guess I thought the tweezers would make things easier, but they're currently lying on the bottom.  In trying to retrieve them, I got soaked to the shoulder.  I think the 10" stool will be retired and I'll get the stepladder out.  😒

I looked at the 20 high post, and you're right, it's wicked long.  I do learn so much from all of you.  I'll look at the others after I cut some more fabric.  I have gifts I'm working on and time is getting short.

Meanwhile, I have plants floating, mostly because I got hung up on them/in them while trying out the tweezers.

I most often work in tank tops or I always end up with my shirt sleeves soaked.

Practice picking up small things not in the aquarium until you develop some feel.  Tweezers are much easier than chopsticks so if you can do chopsticks, you can do the tweezers!

Did all my water changes before morning coffee, resulting in smug satisfaction.

Added gravel and plant trimmings to my 2 10g QT tanks which aren't going to be QT tanks anymore because I am done buying fish until spring. I mean it.

One will be a honeymoon tank so my chosen females can get pregnant without ALL the females getting pregnant, and the other will house all the fry  born in QT whose paternity is a mystery and who will be the starters for my summer guppy tub next summer.

Bought one plant as part of my "every time I walk into a pet store I am buying one plant" effort to really forest my tanks. 

Cleaned out the fish supplies cupboard and organized all the stuff while listening to a podcast. I love a puttery day 🙂

• Like 5

On 11/13/2021 at 9:42 PM, Odd Duck said:

I most often work in tank tops or I always end up with my shirt sleeves soaked.

Practice picking up small things not in the aquarium until you develop some feel.  Tweezers are much easier than chopsticks so if you can do chopsticks, you can do the tweezers!

@Odd Duck  It's a bit cool here for a tank top, even if I owned one.  I did have short sleeves rolled up to the shoulder.

Okay, I'll practice.  I did use chopsticks to reach to the bottom of the tank to get the tweezers out.

• Haha 2

On 11/13/2021 at 11:10 PM, lindabee53 said:

@Odd Duck  It's a bit cool here for a tank top, even if I owned one.  I did have short sleeves rolled up to the shoulder.

Okay, I'll practice.  I did use chopsticks to reach to the bottom of the tank to get the tweezers out.

If I’m wearing something else, I will change to do the tank work just so I don’t have a soggy sleeve.  That soggy sleeve is colder than a tank top!

I almost suggested to get out chopsticks to reach the tweezers, but didn’t want to seem too flippant!  If you’re that comfortable with chopsticks, just use them to do your planting.  The only advantage of tweezers is a finer point.  The thicker the end of the instrument the bigger the hole pushed in the substrate that then has to resettle around the plant before it’s secure.  Plus it takes less dexterity to learn tweezers vs chopsticks.  If you’re already good with chopsticks, then rock them!

On 11/14/2021 at 2:05 PM, Odd Duck said:

I almost suggested to get out chopsticks to reach the tweezers, but didn’t want to seem too flippant!  If you’re that comfortable with chopsticks, just use them to do your planting.  The only advantage of tweezers is a finer point.  The thicker the end of the instrument the bigger the hole pushed in the substrate that then has to resettle around the plant before it’s secure.  Plus it takes less dexterity to learn tweezers vs chopsticks.  If you’re already good with chopsticks, then rock them!

@Odd Duck Flippant is usually good.  Chopsticks seem to work pretty well for me.  On the other hand, I pulled out two more plants trying to put one plant in with the tweezers.  My middle name is Klutz.

• Haha 2

On 11/14/2021 at 3:25 PM, lindabee53 said:

@Odd Duck Flippant is usually good.  Chopsticks seem to work pretty well for me.  On the other hand, I pulled out two more plants trying to put one plant in with the tweezers.  My middle name is Klutz.

It does take some practice, for sure.

One trick I do, is I put in the center plants first in a group or I work from one side to the other.  I push the plant down into the substrate a little ways away from where I want it, then slide it slightly into place to help bury the roots.  I place it just a little deeper than I want it.  Then I shimmy the tweezers a little as I slowly release so the substrate falls down into place around the roots/stem.  If there’s lots of roots, I slide sideways more.  Also sometimes it’s better to trim the roots a little.  It can stimulate new growth.

If the substrate heaps up a little from the slide, I just push it down a bit with a fingertip to pack it around the roots a little.  Don’t get carried away at this part, just barely enough to level it slightly.  It will tend to level itself somewhat.  You can always level later after the roots have grabbed hold some.  Sometimes less is more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1