What's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

pedrofisk

This is one I have contemplated contacting @Cory about - and asking could this be achieved? Could a fillable box "filter" be ADDED/LINKED/STACKED to a sponge filter for those occasions when you need to use a product that you would normally put in a HOB or canister or box filter? I'm thinking for those occasions where you want to polish your water or use a bagged product for water treatment, etc...

I drew this sketch of my idea (don't judge lol!). I wrote that the water exits out the tube, but it could also exit out small openings in the FMB like box filters do.

If this exists already somebody tell me!

Notes_201001_161353_b1b_1_569374319173891.jpg

Edited by braids
clarification
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, braids said:

This is one I have contemplated contacting @Cory about - and asking could this be achieved? Could a fillable box "filter" be ADDED/LINKED/STACKED to a sponge filter for those occasions when you need to use a product that you would normally put in a HOB or canister or box filter? I'm thinking for those occasions where you want to polish your water or use a bagged product for water treatment, etc...

I drew this sketch of my idea (don't judge lol!). I wrote that the water exits out the tube, but it could also exit out small openings in the FMB like box filters do.

If this exists already somebody tell me!

OMG, we need to make this happen! What an idea! I'll bet it could be done. I have an extra Jehmco box filter; let's get together and start playing with this!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, braids said:

This idea has been cooking in my head for quite awhile. I'm surprised it's not already out there. But if it was I'd think Cory would have told us about it and have his own version in development 😉🤣🤣

Looks like it has been thought of:

image.png.b7ba635d0d8ee594ae7b1561872a9d81.png

Still gonna try this out. The AC sponge filters come apart in so many ways...

14 minutes ago, Bill Smith said:

Looks like it has been thought of:

image.png.b7ba635d0d8ee594ae7b1561872a9d81.png

Still gonna try this out. The AC sponge filters come apart in so many ways...

I want to be able to attach to the style that I have about a dozen of 🤣. But it's good to see that the concept has been applied. I dig the look of this style of filter tho.

2 minutes ago, braids said:

I want to be able to attach to the style that I have about a dozen of 🤣. But it's good to see that the concept has been applied. I dig the look of this style of filter tho.

Yeah, I'm glad to see it too; it suggests putting the box on the bottom. That makes a lot of sense. Love this challenge!

On 7/27/2020 at 8:14 PM, Cory said:

Thanks, ordered the reusable IV bag. I had always meant to find one like that, but it never made it to the top of my list. I can't wait to experiment with it. Drip feeding daphnia ponds, drip feeding live baby brine into a tank possibly, can't wait! This will be the most fun I've had with $15 ina long time!

This could be great for when you need to go out of town and have babies or something more sensitive that only eats live... or for breeders who have to be out during the day for work etc. and have babies that need feeding multiple times a day... the applications are Endless!

On 8/1/2020 at 6:05 PM, Pat.Shaw said:

This has got to be a thing..

A outlet plug that I can hook my filter up to that can be turned off for only a few minutes when I feed and automatically turns it self back on.

When I feed my 75g african cichlid tank I like to unplug the filter so it wont suck up any food. Then I plug it back in when 90% of the food has been consumed. The problem is every so often I forget to plug it back in. 

On 8/1/2020 at 6:20 PM, Pat.Shaw said:

I have thought of that. Don't think it would work for me. I don't think I could get it down to the minute every time. 😞

I would think maybe using auto feeders could do this? It’s a shame that a Neptune Apex doesn’t exist for freshwater, saltwater hobbyists are able to shut off return pumps amd skimmers as part of a “feed mode” and everything turns back on 10 minutes later. 

On 8/21/2020 at 1:29 PM, yannachka said:

mine already kind if exists but i want a more affordable apex system for freshwater but with ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, gh, and kh testing built in. i just want to have quick access to all my parameters all in one app with no more test tubes. you can monitor all of the levels in the tank quickly and you get alerts when ammonia goes up or if nitrates go above a certain preset level. you can plug an autodoser in to dose ferts that intelligently monitors the macro and micro levels that you can adjust manually to dose how much you want. maybe in 10 years haha. or check japan, i feel like they may have something being built. 

I would absolutely Love something like this. This is the kind of revolutionary product I want to see from freshwater companies. Not a stronger LED light or built in heaters etc. I wonder if someone more tech savvy could do this with a raspberry pi and if there are probes that would read pH and Kh etc. 

17 minutes ago, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

I would think maybe using auto feeders could do this? It’s a shame that a Neptune Apex doesn’t exist for freshwater, saltwater hobbyists are able to shut off return pumps amd skimmers as part of a “feed mode” and everything turns back on 10 minutes later. 

Some of us do use the Apex for freshwater, and there are some other options coming to the market. We have a Neptune Apex Aquarium Control thread right here in the forum.

I have spent a week trying to find a pre-made basket/tray/container that I would be able to hook over the side of one of my aquariums grow plants in the water. I am sure it exist, I just have not had luck finding it.  I am starting to think at this point, I may need to DIY it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ben_RF said:

I have spent a week trying to find a pre-made basket/tray/container that I would be able to hook over the side of one of my aquariums grow plants in the water. I am sure it exist, I just have not had luck finding it.  I am starting to think at this point, I may need to DIY it.  

Doesn't a breeder box serve that purpose? I must be missing something. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I, and I think everyone else, would LOVE a pill that makes water changes a thing of the past. I know you can create tanks that are nearly water changeless, however a pill that allows you to never have to do this again would be life changing. But @Cory and everyone else has pointed out that water changes are inescapable and you will have to do them eventually, there is no quick fix for water changes (except to just do them hahaha).

Hatching and feeding baby brine seems like it could be done automatically.  Just add salt and eggs, set the portion size and frequency, empty out the empty shells for disposal every week or two.   Make it a whole lot easier to keep pea puffers and other picky eater fish that don't like flakes and pellets.    

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 10:12 PM, gcalberto said:

I'd love some sort of substance that acted like activated charcoal, but was able to absorb nitrates, so that you either wouldn't need to do water changes or would have to do them a lot less frequently. I sometimes travel for work, and my roommate feeds the fish, but he can't do water changes, which is sometimes a problem. I do use seachem purigem, but i'm not sure how effective it is at decreasing the need for water changes

I have just the solution for you, plants, they do exactly what you want, suck up nitrates and make it so you have to do less frequent water changes

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Van said:

a very small timer system that can plug my lights my co2 and the bubbles at all different times and that is not a huge expensive appliance.

There are a number of pretty low profile wifi plugs you can run from a phone or tablet. You don't have to get the fancy more expensive Alexa activated ones. Many are designed to fit together on an outlet or power strip.

• Like 1

I would like a set of aquarium lights which would let me look down into my tank and see everything there. I imagine a ring of lights going around the rim of the aquarium similar to the floodlights  they have in some sports arenas. I'm always looking in the top of my aquarium but missing most of the action because two thirds of the tank is obscured by the reflection of the lights above the tank. 

23 hours ago, Terry Ellacott said:

I would like a set of aquarium lights which would let me look down into my tank and see everything there. I imagine a ring of lights going around the rim of the aquarium

How about submersible lights like the long one at the bottom of the picture? This light is attached above the water level and is not pointing straight down so there is a bit of reflection. Not as much though compared to the "normal" light on the top of the image.  

lights.png.161f195f8acab99c086e0929594179f1.png

• Like 1

I am assuming that the VorTech is an induction motor, creating a rotating magnetic field that would normally drive the propeller on the other side of the glass. My expensive and impractical idea would be to put a magnetic scraper on the inside of the tank to be spun by that rotational magnetic field. I have no idea if it would have enough torque, but if I already had one, I would try it just for fun. Maybe an engineer can comment more.

Again, this was just a brainstorm idea I had and it would be a ridiculous way to use a $300-400 powerhead.