How do you keep track of maintenance?

Nyssa

I was just curious to know if anyone else keeps a log of water changes, filter cleanings, and other maintenance that you do on your tanks. I'm interested to know if anyone else does this and keeps track of the dates and what they did to their tanks.

I personally have a dry erase board that I keep on my fridge where I log:

• Water changes with percentages logged by the date
  • Last filter cleaning logged by the date
  • Last Easy Green dosage with the amount of pumps per tank, with the date

It works out really well for me personally, I can fit the information for my three tanks on a small magnetic dry erase board that I picked up from the Dollar Tree.

I would love to know what & how everyone else keeps track as well! 🐟

• Like 3

I keep a journal for my aquariums. I write down water changes, maintenance, new fish, quarantines, sick fish and treatments, and any changes that I feel are worth noting. It is just a ring binder, so I can add pages. It helps me remember when I made changes, like adding an under-gravel filter or changing filter media. It also gives me a place to put co-op stickers.

20220119_193800.jpg.518b22e2d4f74de0a9719d27683a2315.jpg.8cc00d8ae8d0182eea0df0d9de1f0e0e.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 3

I don't keep track. I do keep a log of notable changes but maintenance is recorded only if it is response to a problem. Every Saturday I check the filters, and top off if needed.  I record the water parameters for amusement. Maintenance is biweekly or as needed. 

• Like 1

I don't keep track beyond just checking everyone's parameters once a week. All of my tanks have gotten to the point of not "needing" water changes most of the time, and so I really only do them when I just feel like fussing over them (vacuuming up detritus/cleaning up algae/trimming plants). 

• Like 3

On 3/23/2022 at 9:04 AM, HH Morant said:

I keep a journal for my aquariums. I write down water changes, maintenance, new fish, quarantines, sick fish and treatments, and any changes that I feel are worth noting. It is just a ring binder, so I can add pages. It helps me remember when I made changes, like adding an under-gravel filter or changing filter media. It also gives me a place to put co-op stickers.

20220119_193800.jpg.518b22e2d4f74de0a9719d27683a2315.jpg.8cc00d8ae8d0182eea0df0d9de1f0e0e.jpg

I like the notebook but I LOVE that table!  😍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For me, tracking parameters just sounds like too much work.  I have too many tanks and it would take me far too long.  I typically just try to water change everything on a regular basis, deal with plants as needed, and increase frequency and/or volume of water changes if I have a heavier load than usual, for instance in a QT tank where I had to double up on the number of cories when I had the other QT tank fail.  🤦🏻‍♀️  It’s still not overloaded and I’ve got the temporary replacement running again, but there’s no need to move the cories since I pulled out the silver dollars.  🤷🏻‍♀️ So instead of stressing everybody, they’ll all stay together.  They will all come out of QT at the same time, anyway, since I got them all the same day.

I do need to develop a more routine on WC.  It would help make sure everything gets done in a good time frame.  I was doing better, but work/life changes broke me out of my routine and I haven’t quite gotten back into one, yet.  I will, and it will be easier once I finally have the fish room done.  Having some motivation issues, lately.  😝 

• Like 2

I used to write my test results on note paper and throw it in with the tests, and rely on pictures to show the date of when I changed things.

However, when I moved my 46G and set up a 10G (Dec-Jan), I created a Google doc that I can keep my test results and notes with dates so I could track the cycling process and record notes. I have a separate one for each tank. I do the testing at my computer desk and I use the white screen to view the vials clearer so that's an added bonus! :classic_smile:

1134073717_ScreenShot2022-03-23at8_54_35AM.png.816f1cc7ff7b5eb3c9560bb01a0ef27c.png

• Like 4

I do my water changes on the weekend. Sometimes Saturday and sometimes Sunday and sometimes when I get busy it will be Friday or even next weekend.

I will test the water parameters in all the tanks, then do my water changes as determined by the tests. While the water is low I will trim the plants and any other internal maintenance.

I have found the 5g out of my 37g tank is a nice target height for my plants, except for Vallisneria which I don't trim. Anything that is higher than my -5g reference is trimmed and replanted or given a home in a new tank.

I haven't kept records, but now that I have more than one tank with different things going on in each, maybe I should follow @AndreaW's example.

Edited by Widgets
Stupid typos
  • Like 2

I have an Excel file, with a page for each tank.  For a while I was keeping track of water changes on it, but quit.  I still use it for other information that I want to keep track of, like when I get a new plant and know I won't remember the name, or get new fish.

• Like 2

I have a little word doc on the desktop on my laptop. I keep track of water changes and nitrate readings on it. I'm hoping to figure out how much I need to change to keep the nitrate down. Or just how much it changes either way. I think it's going to be more than needed changes to keep the tank free of poop and bad bacteria. It's a slow process. 

In another doc I keep track of when I bought my fish. 

• Like 1

At this point it's only one tank — the planted 55 with 24 tetras, 13, black neon, 8 serpae, and 3 white skirts.

In September, 2021 when I started with only a few serpae, I kept track of the water parameters in a little notebook while the tank was cycling and for a couple of months after. I was testing most days, mostly because I wanted some data in case I had questions for the forum folks.

Now, six and a half months in, I'm not keeping track any more. I'm testing the water somewhere between weekly and bi - weekly.

I gravel vac as part of the larger bi-weekly water change general clean up routine, three 5 gal. buckets worth. With the gravel and rocks it works out to somewhere between 30 - 33% of the water volume.

Edited by isaly
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 12:58 PM, isaly said:

Now, six and a half months in, I'm not keeping track any more. I'm testing the water somewhere between weekly and bi - weekly.

I feel this, I used to obsessively check my water parameters in the very beginning, especially when I was first cycling my tanks... sometimes daily! I kept this logged on my little whiteboard, but it quickly got overwhelming so I ended up using my personal discord to log it for a while.

Nowadays I test on the first of the month, or if there's something that's "off" with my fish as more of a wellness check kind of thing. I don't log it anymore though, I feel really in tune with my tanks and use my intuition more than anything.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 3/23/2022 at 10:21 AM, Apulo said:

I liked what @Zenzo was doing. Write it on the side/back aquarium glass with a wet erase marker.

Honestly, with the amount of aquariums that I care for at home, writing the dates of the last water change on the tank with a wet erase marker is the only way I can really manage it.

I have a very similar system. I've used striping tape on the black side of my tank to make a grid that I fill in appropriately. I would probably get really bothered if I tried doing it without the grid but that's just a personality quirk of mine.

My invert tank also has a super adorable sheet that an acquaintance drew for me because she thinks that crystal shrimp are adorable. I don't have them anymore but the sheet is still being used for my two nano tanks!

• Love 1

I use the "journals" section of this website (in the past I've used other sites). That way I can see exactly what I was doing to get certain results, with pictures. Plus, if I run in to trouble it lets other people chime in with suggestions.

• Like 2

I use routines. Certain days I do nitrate checks ( thank you ac coop for the strips makes checking more often a breeze). Based on the results I do the wc amounts needed. If I’m experiencing issues Or trying for certain results I write results and actions down to diagnose the issues. There was a thread on here that had several phone apps that people loved but I cannot find it. 

• Like 2

I just keep a perpetual note on my phone where I log date, water parameters, % water change (if changing water) and what (if anything) was added to the filter/water/tank.   And I occasionally email it to myself as a backup if I need it. 

• Like 1