Aquarium Co-Op Products

DaveSamsell

More hardscape.... at the same shipping cost 🤣 joking, but we are in fantasy world. 

Backgrounds. I have a blurry plant background in the back of my planted 75 and I think I prefer it to a black option especially as things grow on. 3d backgrounds of decent quality would be a lovely addition esp. if they incorporated plant holders. 

Also in fantasy world, more unique aquarium decor. Petco and petsmart carry the same 20 things, or you take a risk and put something not aquarium-purposed in. Let’s make aquascaping as fun as fairy gardens! 😛

• Like 1

It would be cool if there was a “start up kit” type thing where you get several products with a little discount for starting a new tank.  For example, a sponge filter, air stone, usb air pump, check valve, and coop towel for a couple of bucks less than buying separate.  Don’t know, coop prices might be so low that it isn’t possible.  

• Like 1

I found it interesting that the Coop sells the python hook, but non of the other products. Why?

To get my tech tank setup, I needed to start shopping at the Coop, then from two other on line stores and finally Amazon.

I can certainly understand how Cory is managing his business. He could stock everything, but it must make business sense.

1. You must turn it over (sell it) at a rate equal to or higher than
    1. The cost of having it in inventory
    2. The cost to managing the stock (special care, handling, expiration date, etc.)
    3. The cost of shipping
    4. The cost and frequency of providing product support
  2. Quality of the product which reflects on the company selling it
  3. Reliability of the supply of the product to him
  4. The cost of researching and testing the product to see if it 'passes muster'
  5. The cost of just getting it into the system (generating a skew, updating the inventory and POS software, training staff, fining a spot for it in the warehouse ....) 

And a bunch more things that I'm not thinking of.

Forums like this will certainly help Cory determine what folks are looking for.

Is there a way to 'vote' for these product such that Cory gets a better idea of the demand??

How about 'likes' for folks ideas?

Keep the ideas flowing!

• Like 1

@RovingGingerhas a great idea! I'd love for there to be more 3D background options out there. Especially ones that could have customer service as amazing as Aquarium co-op 's! 

I've got a matching pair of tanks (size wise anyhow) on each side of my living room and I'd  love to get some 3D backgrounds to give them that extra 'wow!' factor. But the options I've found  out there have been lackluster or a shipping nightmare to obtain.  How is something that should be so popular in the hobby so niche and hard to find?

Also, potential crazy thought - what if Aquarium co-op could sell a 3D background with spots in it to attach plants a-la easy planter style?

Come on. I can't be the only one who wants that.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nataku said:

@RovingGingerhas a great idea! I'd love for there to be more 3D background options out there. Especially ones that could have customer service as amazing as Aquarium co-op 's! 

I've got a matching pair of tanks (size wise anyhow) on each side of my living room and I'd  love to get some 3D backgrounds to give them that extra 'wow!' factor. But the options I've found  out there have been lackluster or a shipping nightmare to obtain.  How is something that should be so popular in the hobby so niche and hard to find?

Also, potential crazy thought - what if Aquarium co-op could sell a 3D background with spots in it to attach plants a-la easy planter style?

Come on. I can't be the only one who wants that.

Yeah, that would be nice.

@Dandy Pearli think for the python the actual hose and stuff is too hard for them to ship, I remember something about it in a past video. As far as my dream aquarium coop product that would be reasonable would be something like a turkey baster or syringe to feed frozen foods. Or something else but along that vein so that it makes it easier. I was totally mind boggled how to feed frozen until I started working at my LFS last week 😅 

now dreamland CoOp product would be something like an apex but dialed in to freshwater tank needs. Complete with alerts to my phone when something happens and a camera that can stream live footage of the tanks.

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, Dandy Pearl said:

I found it interesting that the Coop sells the python hook, but non of the other products. Why?

To get my tech tank setup, I needed to start shopping at the Coop, then from two other on line stores and finally Amazon.

I can certainly understand how Cory is managing his business. He could stock everything, but it must make business sense.

1. You must turn it over (sell it) at a rate equal to or higher than
    1. The cost of having it in inventory
    2. The cost to managing the stock (special care, handling, expiration date, etc.)
    3. The cost of shipping
    4. The cost and frequency of providing product support
  2. Quality of the product which reflects on the company selling it
  3. Reliability of the supply of the product to him
  4. The cost of researching and testing the product to see if it 'passes muster'
  5. The cost of just getting it into the system (generating a skew, updating the inventory and POS software, training staff, fining a spot for it in the warehouse ....) 

And a bunch more things that I'm not thinking of.

Forums like this will certainly help Cory determine what folks are looking for.

Is there a way to 'vote' for these product such that Cory gets a better idea of the demand??

How about 'likes' for folks ideas?

Keep the ideas flowing!

Story time. I spend all day analyzing what people buy, and have what I feel is a good pulse on it. When it comes to something like the python 25 ft gravel vac system. You'd think it's a no brainer. 

The reason we don't sell them online(we do sell them in store) is that we can't make any money and in fact lose money shipping them. Below you'll see  a price list for the product, and the amazon price. 

Our buy price, if we buy direct from Python: $28.35

Amazon's selling price: $33.41

MAP(Minimum Advertised Price): $39.99

You have to sign this form to order direct from python. 

You can see that between my buy price direct from the manufacturer, and the selling price on Amazon it's $5. Now keep in mind I have to pay to ship them to our warehouse, so it's more like a $4 spread. Then when a customer pays with a credit card, that'll be 2.5% which is roughly $1, leaving it at 3. Now to ship the product, it averages 12 dollars and an odd shaped box and will crush live plants. Customer pays $5.99 shipping. This leaves me at negative 3 dollars for each sold, or if the customer spends $100. It leaves us at negative $9 for each one sold. 

You think to yourself, but Cory, what if you write them, meet them in person at events and buy 10s of thousands of dollars at a time, surely a better price? Nope. 

Ok Cory, but Amazon is selling it below the MAP, can't you get them to stop it? You'd think so, until you learn that Python sells direct to Amazon and therefore allows them to break map. 

Why not sell the lees gravel vac? Same problem as Python. 

Why not make your own? This is the route we'll end up going at some point, improve upon it and keep price reasonable will be the goal, and we'll put it on the list of all the other products we have this same problem with. 

Unfortunately a lot of companies are very hard headed. "We don't sell directly to retailers" Then turns around and sells directly to Amazon and Chewys which are retailers. We get lumped in with other small businesses and not even given the chance to buy at the same levels. Companies assume we can't be selling as much as the big boys do. They don't understand we sell a limited selection of products in large quantities. These battles takes place over years. Emails with Pythons started in 2015. Each year we'd see them at their booth at Aquatic Experience, see them at Global Pet expo. Email them every 2-3 years, going just let us buy at a large quantity, we'll buy at Amazon/Chewys levels. We just run into the same answer. 

You can probably sense my frustration in the post, it's an ongoing battle that we slowly get through over years and we are just in disbelief when they force us to find an alternative. 

screenshot-mail.google.com-2020.10.20-19_37_51.png

screenshot-mail.google.com-2020.10.20-19_34_27.png

screenshot-smile.amazon.com-2020.10.20-20_03_10.png

10 hours ago, Cory said:

Lol I like your style. And call it the Troll Hose. It's worth it to not make money if it teaches a lesson 😛

Honestly, I'd buy the adapters from you guys in a heart beat for a water hose.  Their adapters tend to leak, and you could most likely make a higher quality adapter that would be worth it. 

Edited by Ben_RF

Snek aquarium vacuum cleaner.

I'm looking forward to see Aquarium Co-op adventuring into Europe. Its going to get very difficult to set foot here as there are a lot of old well known brands that most people stick to. But then again there are also some crappy ones that is just chinese rebranding.

I just want to buy two dozen sponge filters. They're not really commonly sold here and most people including me just buy them from china but they're not much of a great quality.