What music are you listening to these days?

OnlyGenusCaps

On 1/25/2022 at 1:41 AM, Dwayne Brown said:

This song came out when I was a kid and I still listen to it over and over again. 

Ahhh, I had forgotten all about Nelly's teeth! Thanks for the flashback.

Listening to this always makes whatever I am doing feel much more important and peaceful, but this video is worth watching for the nature visuals alone:

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 6:10 PM, Torrey said:

So my sisters and I grew up singing "What shall we do with a drunken sailor" singing lines back to my dad, as he taught us the names of all the sheets, lines, tiller, dual keel, and of course, the mainsal halyard.

It wasn't until someone gave me the album by the Irish Rovers that I truly appreciated my dad's brilliance at using a repetitive song to teach us how to sail.

Because the closest to the original lines were "throw him overboard" (unless my dad was in a mood, and then it was "throw him in bed with the cabin boyo), which followed "run him up the mast with the mainsail halyard"🤣

Lines were flexible in the song so we could memorize which lines controlled which sheets *quickly* for when squalls would quickly overtake my godfather's boat at Oriental (and more rarely the quick storm on Kerr Lake) so our presence on the boat wouldn't be a liability.

Not only is that a great story, it rings true, as my two little kids love that song! 

• Love 1

I mostly listen to 70s, 80s and 90s music. Big fan of Classic Rock and 80's alternative (though I like 80's pop too). I was raised on The Beatles, as my dad is a huge fan. I'll also listen to Broadway plays, disco, metal and other stuff like Irish fiddle music. I've got a pretty wide variety of things I like. 

One of my fav songs is "On the Turning Away" by Pink Floyd.

Edited by H.K.Luterman
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

On 1/28/2022 at 2:39 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Been listening to sea shanties again (driven by how much my 6yo loves them).  Here are a couple from the genre I think of as "remember the good ol days" which evoke a wistful feeling about the by gone days of sailing.  I can just imagine the cranky old sailors indignant at the idea of the young whippersnappers even getting to call themselves sailors, when they don't know how to sail. 

Here are a couple from "Fisherman's Friends".

I like this first one with the snarky - sure you're a "sailor", can you haul in or heave to? - attitude. 

"A Sailor Ain't A Sailor"

And this second one directly bemoans the loss of shanties.  But I love the lines you've got "leavers to pull and buttons to press" as a - oh life is so hard, and the "real life sailors they need them less", a direct stab.  The lyrics always make me laugh.

"Shanty Man"

Got reintroduced to sea shanties when I heard about Nathan Evans doing "The Wellerman" on Tik Tok.  Now it is an earworm.

This week I've been hooked on solo small sailboat Atlantic crossings and cross Atlantic rowing.  If it wasn't for the electronics, life on board hasn't changed much in most cases. .

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I do not have much of standard music taste, I don't think.  Haven't really my entire life.  

The more mainstream music I like would include mainly System of a Down and Nightwish (and more broadly, just about anything Floor Jansen).  These depend on my mood.

If I'm looking for more background music or mood music of some sort it's Heilung, Aurora, Capercaillie, Shireen... other stuff I'm probably forgetting.

• Like 1