What music are you listening to these days?

OnlyGenusCaps

So, on another forum (different hobby) a thread I've always gotten a lot our of was one where people could share the music they are enjoying at the moment.  It has lasted for years, and I was introduced to tunes I would never have otherwise known about.  I don't think there is thread like that here yet, and so I thought I would take it upon myself to start one.  So, please share the music you like currently.  It'll probably change, so when it does, come back and let us know the latest thing you are enjoying (though it doesn't need to be the latest music by any means). 

I'll start us off.  I've been getting a kick out of a recent song from one of my favorite pop-punk bands from the 2000's.  Att the time, they had songs about making fun of the nostalgia adults feel and adolescent angst all which rang true for me in my youth.  So, I greatly appreciate that they now have one about getting older, which rings as true. for me today as their songs did decades ago (yikes, the 2000's were decades ago 😬).  But as long as "Bowling for Soup" continues to narrate the experiences of the different stages of my life, I think everything is going to be okay.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Love 3

I'm an old guy, and I like old music, though I am a fan of some new stuff.  Classic album rock, old country (mostly pre-1970), blues from any time period, Motown, etc.  I listen to Pandora all day at work, set to Shuffle, so I never know what's coming next.

image.png.20503fdaea2a42fdd26af577cabeffe2.png

image.png.efe3d31ebc3475ca92cae0aa9022c330.png

image.png.e4a96608f10f55a340ecfdaa05df6840.png

image.png.7033ecae90b87160243f6870550ee3d0.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1

My music taste is as static and unpredictable as I am. From old rock n roll Beatles to heavy metal classics Black Sabbath to Godsmack/Metallica/AC/Dc to old country Johnny Cash Tammy Wynette The basic theme is old like me but some new stuff.

I am definitely a Beatles girl they were great Elvis was ok. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Eclectic from ZZ Top to Mozart, Ofra Haza to Johnny Cash, Falco to Candy Dulfer, Dire Straits to Smetana, the Beach Boys to Ravel,  Joan Jett and the Blackhearts to Tchaikovsky, Elvis, and George Winston I'm unclassifiable long as it's got rhythm, is classy, or funny, or is descriptive and captures a landscape, or emotion. Unfortunately not much from today's music scene, seems like around the mid 90's good music got really scarce, but that's just my sentiment, my apologies to all who are feeling the groove with today's tunes - just not my cup'o noodles.

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

I've been listening to TheFatRat a lot recently (listening to one of his songs as I'm writing this part of this post actually.. ) I really like Willie Nelson as well. I don't really stick with a genre, instead just whatever sounds good to me. 

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I have my desk setup with multiple monitors. One of those is dedicated to Spotify. The one constant is Pink Floyd and lots of Primus. The rest is usually a mix of 80s-early 00s music. Probably due to the nostalgia factor. You always like what you listened to as a kid to young adult. It could be alternative, metal, pop, rap depending on mood. Recently lots of the Cure. Last song that played was "She talks in stereo" by Gary Myrick. Tomorrow it could be Kottonmouth Kings, Megadeth or Madonna.

• Like 5

On 8/2/2021 at 7:05 PM, sudofish said:

I have my desk setup with multiple monitors. One of those is dedicated to Spotify. The one constant is Pink Floyd and lots of Primus. The rest is usually a mix of 80s-early 00s music. Probably due to the nostalgia factor. You always like what you listened to as a kid to young adult. It could be alternative, metal, pop, rap depending on mood. Recently lots of the Cure. Last song that played was "She talks in stereo" by Gary Myrick. Tomorrow it could be Kottonmouth Kings, Megadeth or Madonna.

i do agree you like what you listened to as a kid. growing up, my dad had 2 8-tracks (remember them), 1 was crystal gayle, 1 was helen reddy. funny, but i listen to helen reddy now and then.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I’m a certified Deadhead but I’m currently hooked on Vampire Weekend, Phoenix and a few old punk funk bands from the NorCal ska scene Reel Big Fish etc…

Classic hip hop is also on rotation: Arrested Development, De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest etc..

My kid loves Black Pink, BTS and the K pop scene so that’s getting a lot of play too.

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

On 8/2/2021 at 6:05 PM, sudofish said:

Talk about Pink Floyd, I saw the Roger Waters "The Wall" Live Concert in Berlin on Potsdamer Platz in 1990, it was epic,

• Like 3
  • Love 5

On 8/2/2021 at 11:52 PM, Jungle Fan said:

Talk about Pink Floyd, I saw the Roger Waters "The Wall" Live Concert in Berlin on Potsdamer Platz in 1990, it was epic,

😮 That.  Is.  Awesome!  I had a friend with a bootleg DVD of that performance that we watched far too often in college. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 12:02 PM, Jungle Fan said:

. . . Unfortunately not much from today's music scene, seems like around the mid 90's good music got really scarce, but that's just my sentiment, my apologies to all who are feeling the groove with today's tunes - just not my cup'o noodles.

I would have said beginning around 1980.

On 8/2/2021 at 8:01 PM, lefty o said:

i do agree you like what you listened to as a kid. growing up, my dad had 2 8-tracks (remember them), 1 was crystal gayle, 1 was helen reddy. funny, but i listen to helen reddy now and then.

I do remember those.  I even remember the cha-CHUNK sound right in the middle of the songs when it would change tracks.

On 8/2/2021 at 9:52 PM, Jungle Fan said:

I saw a few Floyd shows in the early ‘90s. They were still sounding great and the productions were incredible 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 8/3/2021 at 11:10 AM, Jungle Fan said:

The 50s, early 60s, and the 80s were when music was happening. I do remember the 8-tracks mostly from pick up trucks.

It was 1975 and I had one 8 track tape. It was the 'album' Fandango by ZZ Top. I wore that tape out listening to that over, and over again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3

On 8/3/2021 at 8:24 AM, Daniel said:

It was 1975 and I had one 8 track tape. It was the 'album' Fandango by ZZ Top. I wore that tape out listening to that over, and 

In the cassette era I would often drive from Baltimore to Wilmington, NC. For some reason the only tape in the car was Doobie Brothers Greatest Hits. I still can’t get China Grove out of my head! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

On 8/2/2021 at 10:59 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

So, on another forum (different hobby) a thread I've always gotten a lot our of was one where people could share the music they are enjoying at the moment.  It has lasted for years, and I was introduced to tunes I would never have otherwise known about.  I don't think there is thread like that here yet, and so I thought I would take it upon myself to start one.  So, please share the music you like currently.  It'll probably change, so when it does, come back and let us know the latest thing you are enjoying (though it doesn't need to be the latest music by any means). 

I'll start us off.  I've been getting a kick out of a recent song from one of my favorite pop-punk bands from the 2000's.  Att the time, they had songs about making fun of the nostalgia adults feel and adolescent angst all which rang true for me in my youth.  So, I greatly appreciate that they now have one about getting older, which rings as true. for me today as their songs did decades ago (yikes, the 2000's were decades ago 😬).  But as long as "Bowling for Soup" continues to narrate the experiences of the different stages of my life, I think everything is going to be okay.

Used to be pals with the guys in a Texas band, Blue October.  They used to play with BFS a lot, and the after parties were legendary.  Super nice guys. 

• Love 2