What music are you listening to these days?

OnlyGenusCaps

Parkening Plays Bach.  I saw Christopher Parkening in concert at Carolina, somewhere around 74-75.  I'll probably never hear that album again - when I pulled the cassette out of the player, it snapped.

Anyway, that put me in the mood for:

Sweet Baby James.  I saw James Taylor twice at Carolina, roughly the same time period.  

On 1/24/2022 at 11:41 PM, Dwayne Brown said:

This song came out when I was a kid and I still listen to it over and over again. 

That's powerful...

I was coming back to post one last song, of a group that walks it's talk. Major respect from me.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 12:07 AM, Torrey said:

If we're talking 80's, 90's and early aught's....

My fish music was the guys I grew up with 

And this:

Cake rocks, too.

Oops, almost left out Squirrel Nut Zippers😁

LOVE SNZ!  

Anyone into Soul Coughing?

• Love 1

Been listening to sea shanties again (driven by how much my 6yo loves them).  Here are a couple from the genre I think of as "remember the good ol days" which evoke a wistful feeling about the by gone days of sailing.  I can just imagine the cranky old sailors indignant at the idea of the young whippersnappers even getting to call themselves sailors, when they don't know how to sail. 

Here are a couple from "Fisherman's Friends".

I like this first one with the snarky - sure you're a "sailor", can you haul in or heave to? - attitude. 

"A Sailor Ain't A Sailor"

And this second one directly bemoans the loss of shanties.  But I love the lines you've got "leavers to pull and buttons to press" as a - oh life is so hard, and the "real life sailors they need them less", a direct stab.  The lyrics always make me laugh.

"Shanty Man"

• Love 1

Following @OnlyGenusCaps, I grew up sailing. In fact, my mom labored on the sailboat for the first 2 hours, before they tacked into port and drove to the hospital. With different winds, I might have been born on the water😅

So my sisters and I grew up singing "What shall we do with a drunken sailor" singing lines back to my dad, as he taught us the names of all the sheets, lines, tiller, dual keel, and of course, the mainsal halyard.

It wasn't until someone gave me the album by the Irish Rovers that I truly appreciated my dad's brilliance at using a repetitive song to teach us how to sail.

Because the closest to the original lines were "throw him overboard" (unless my dad was in a mood, and then it was "throw him in bed with the cabin boyo), which followed "run him up the mast with the mainsail halyard"🤣

Lines were flexible in the song so we could memorize which lines controlled which sheets *quickly* for when squalls would quickly overtake my godfather's boat at Oriental (and more rarely the quick storm on Kerr Lake) so our presence on the boat wouldn't be a liability. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1