Things to make aquarium maintenance easier

Guppysnail

My non-fish hubby only (comes in to fish room once a week to look at my giant snail) actually listens when I complain about different fish products and how they need to be improved.  He built me this it just finished today 🥰😍

please share some things that make your aquarium life easier that you have made or someone has made for you. I’d love more ideas please. 

5831974B-2621-48F3-B03C-04E4C5E7B640.jpeg

6C3E99BD-1F63-416F-ABA0-6B46475D092C.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
Change title
  • Like 8
  • Love 2

On 7/29/2021 at 3:12 PM, JettsPapa said:

It's not from someone else, but I drilled a bunch of holes in a measuring cup.  I hang it on the side of the tank when adding water to disperse the flow so it doesn't disturb plants or substrate.

image.png.9b830ffba0b3d6096b47b80d27366bf9.png

I need to make one. Awesome!

On 7/29/2021 at 2:12 PM, JettsPapa said:

It's not from someone else, but I drilled a bunch of holes in a measuring cup.  I hang it on the side of the tank when adding water to disperse the flow so it doesn't disturb plants or substrate.

I'm definitely going to steal this idea

• Like 1

Is this glass or plastic?

On 7/29/2021 at 12:12 PM, JettsPapa said:

If I do fish dips I use a 2 cup glass pyrex measure for treatments.  It will hang inside my quarantine tank and the outer tank water keeps the dip solution warm ( tank water/methblue/ salt ect ). then return the fish to the quarantine and dump the solution in the cup. The measure cup is only for dips.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2021 at 1:12 PM, Odd Duck said:

My husband’s version of a disperser from my description of what I wanted.  I don’t have it hooked to an Alexa or Google device, though.

I siphon with my python imitator, but premix the refill water and fill with this.

05AD3F45-C767-4254-8565-71509EE5D553.jpeg

@Odd Duck What kind of a pump are you using please? 

Just ordered my cups for fry tanks. This was so awesome! Thank you again

• Like 1

Not even going to try to take credit for this one, but my wife came up with a device so "expensive" that nearly everyone can afford it to keep aquarium soil from being disturbed when filling the tank with water (it also keeps me from using her prized little red colander in the aquarium😎). She simply slipped one of her smaller old nylon stockings over the bell of the Python water changer and tightened it with a rubber band. I thought it might slip once water rushes in but it works like a charm for over a year now at least once a week, better than any colander, tupperware tub,paper towels, or waxpaper, just a gentle trickle. Just thought I'd share.

20210730_102518[1].jpg

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Some more pictures of some of my most "high tech, expensive equipment" 😎

Pieces of plastic straws to keep tweezers and scissors from opening and getting caught either in the bag in which I store them, or in the tray I use when I do aquarium maintenance.

An old plastic parks pass card, old credit cards for removing build up, or algae  below the soil line on the glass.

Old toothbrushes, and plastic forks to remove stone wool from plants before planting, and the brushes to clean all kinds of things.

A hummingbird feeder port brush to clean the impeller wells of canister filters, or surface skimmers, and various smaller tube openings.

Probably not too much new here but maybe for those who are new to the hobby themselves.

PS: Just remembered one more, a $1 glass/ceramic stove top pumice stone with a green pad attached to clean the lime off aquarium lids while running it under the faucet, removes even those stains that seem to be etched in (some muscle grease required), the green pad works to clean algae, or lime off the plastic back strip, and the aforementioned hummingbird feeder port brush works wonders on the groove of the plastic strip.

20210730_104246[1].jpg

20210730_104301[1].jpg

20210730_104343[1].jpg

20210730_104359[1].jpg

20210730_114931[1].jpg

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2021 at 1:44 PM, Jungle Fan said:

Some more pictures of some of my most "high tech, expensive equipment" 😎

Pieces of plastic straws to keep tweezers and scissors from opening and getting caught either in the bag in which I store them, or in the tray I use when I do aquarium maintenance.

An old plastic parks pass card, old credit cards for removing build up, or algae  below the soil line on the glass.

Old toothbrushes, and plastic forks to remove stone wool from plants before planting, and the brushes to clean all kinds of things.

A hummingbird feeder port brush to clean the impeller wells of canister filters, or surface skimmers, and various smaller tube openings.

Probably not too much new here but maybe for those who are new to the hobby themselves.

20210730_104246[1].jpg

20210730_104301[1].jpg

20210730_104343[1].jpg

20210730_104359[1].jpg

I do most of the same but the straw thing I would have never thought of I love it thank you

• Like 2

• Administrators

Most hobbyists don't even have a refiling system. When looking at data like this, you have to take into account the bias that already exists. The fact that the information is coming from a fish forum has already eliminated 99% of potential results.  The hobby is wide and diverse, however many products are actually consumed by so few people. This would certainly be an addon to our water change system if we ever make one. However, the way in which it would hang, ease of removal, water pressure issues all lead to slightly different solutions based on application.

On 7/30/2021 at 9:18 AM, Trish said:

@Odd Duck What kind of a pump are you using please? 

@Trish I’m still using a very old Rio 3100HP powerhead. Probably 20 years old but not used for about 10 of those years. It’s so old I can’t get it apart anymore for proper cleaning. It’s getting a bit iffy on whether it will turn on or not so I bought a replacement recently. I put the new one on to use yesterday and it popped the hose right off. The nozzle is shorter and ever so slightly looser so I need to put a clamp on the hose.

Thye new one is a Rio 17HF. It appears to have about the same pressure and flow while I hold the hose on.  🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️  I switched back to the old one until I can put a clamp on the hose. 😆 

• Like 1

Last night I cut the bottom off a buttermilk bottle to make a snail scraper. Works great for scraping and catching snails off the glass. (As you can see I am dealing with an MTS invasion.)

2C7D88D2-AC66-480F-8786-10CF3027520E.jpeg

Edited by Hobbit
Forgot picture 😛
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2021 at 1:44 PM, Hobbit said:

Last night I cut the bottom off a buttermilk bottle to make a snail scraper. Works great for scraping and catching snails off the glass. (As you can see I am dealing with an MTS invasion.)

2C7D88D2-AC66-480F-8786-10CF3027520E.jpeg

I wish I lived nearby, our LFS have not been able to get me any MTS and it's holding up the seasoning of my Walstad tank.

😅

However, they have had no problem getting in assassin snails, so I have a rather hungry clean up crew, lol

• Haha 3

@Torreymine came for free as tiny hitchhikers on plants for now they seem to just hang out in the area the Bolivian rams get fed with sinking pellets. I love what they do for the soil but if they get too numerous I'll have to go medieval on them.

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 3

On 7/30/2021 at 6:36 PM, Torrey said:

I wish I lived nearby, our LFS have not been able to get me any MTS and it's holding up the seasoning of my Walstad tank.

😅

However, they have had no problem getting in assassin snails, so I have a rather hungry clean up crew, lol

You might consider chopstick snails.  They’re related to MTS, are a slower reproducing species, but still stir the substrate for you.

• Thanks 2

The backside of many toothbrushes have ridges that are designed to be a “tongue cleaner” but those ridges knock lime scale off plastic filter parts much better than you might think.  You can see this one has had some hard use, but this is part of a 10 pack I got for about $11.00 online.  These will last me a while.  I’ve stopped buying used filters since they just don’t restart reliably.

2C814860-C703-40C5-B0E0-FC5B282DF2E3.jpeg

• Like 4