What kind of large freshwater aquarium light do you use?

Hi everyone,

I have been looking around for a Led light for my 75 gallon aquarium. The 75 gallon would be a heavily planted community aquarium with discus, rainbows, pearl gouramis, denison barbs, cherry barbs, congo tetras, ropefish etc. A couple light models that are at the top of my list are the Aquaillumination AI PRIME, chihiros rgb, and the Fluval Plant 3.0 and Aquasky. I would perfer something that is raised above the aquarium lid to give an extra water effect but I am open to anything. Under are a few examples are something that I am looking for. Is this something you have? What aquarium light do you use in your larger aquariums? Thanks for any ideas!

eq0ei7u95lp11.jpg

wa5v9mfa4ky41.jpg

2020-09-07 (2).png

I use 3 Kessil a360X Tuna Sun LED lights with the narrow reflector lenses to get good depth penetration

1019327993_Lightsovertank.jpg.d9324901b20ed3fbad9152cf493a6507.jpg

These also give a good amount of shimmer with pronounced caustic lines (like you would see on the bottom of a swimming pool). The Kessils are similar to the metal halides I used to run over this tank, except that they are quieter, cooler, and use far less electricity. Their form factor is very small, the spectrum is plant friendly, and they are designed to be mounted over head. I haven't finished with my wire management yet, but nobody else seems to notice.

You can daisy chain them together to function as a group and control them from a phone app

Tuna1.png.f6d3aa303d0b3e8b3b2c850de7e18405.png

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

I know you were looking for large tanks, but I have some experience with the Fluval Plant 3.0 on my 30L tank (36x12x16). I really love the light. You can use the Fluval app to access it via bluetooth on your smart phone to program it. You have control over all the light spectrum (pink, blue, cold white, pure white, warm white) and so you can set them to any or no intensity that you desire. You can program split light periods with a rest "mid-day" as well with the pro setting, or run the default light period and set your light intensities, and on/off and night light functions. I love the sunrise effect it has as well. 

I have mine set at 65% for all the light spectrum and my plants are growing great in my shallow tank, my guppy grass it taking over, but my guppy fry love it. My only hang up is my glass top. It is the aqueon with that dark plastic bar in the middle so It makes it hard to light up the front of the tank, depending on your situation you might need two if you have as similar situation, one for the front and one for the back. You might be able to hang it as well to counter this. I have dwarf lilies covering 3/4 of my tank top as well so that lowers my light on that left half.

20200908_090355.jpg.cd6175d41952ab68ca0449d3e97498ba.jpg

I'm experimenting with a $25, 45", shop light in a low tech dirted tank set up for a couple of 20 gal. It is just a 4000k, 55 watt LED and my plants seem to be doing pretty well so far. It is recently fully planted and going through the cycle. 

20200908_090920.jpg.070fa6b7e8a81228f8231c72e29145de.jpg

I know you specifically wanted larger tanks so I hope you don't mind my response. It may give you a few things to think about, and I don't know how high tech you plan on going or if you plan on using high light/ active substrate / CO2, etc. 

I have a Stingray 2 on a 40 breeder, an Aqueon Clip On Planted on a 14 gallon cube and a 10 gallon and then I have a Hygger on another 10 gallon.  I like them all for different reasons, but I might lean towards the Hygger, then the.Aqueon for small tanks and then the Stingray 2.  I feel like you get more bang for your buck with the Hygger. 

Two things are wrong with the Stingray 2 - it's silver and there is a physical switch on it that can be a pain with the light timer, unless you leave it on the white light all the time.  About an hour before the lights are scheduled to go out, I put on the blue light.  If I don't physically switch that switch before I go to bed or when I wake up the next morning, the blue light is on all day long, until I get home from work (and we all know how much of a mess that can create).  The Fluval is really nice, but it's out of my budget. 

The Aqueon is a little bit of a pain with a hinged top, but otherwise a pretty nice light.

That's just my two cents.

The tank with the blue gravel has the Stingray 2.  The tank with the 2 Java Fern in the back and the tank with the 3 tubes in it has the Aqueon and the kind of empty tank is my QT with the Hygger.

IMG_20200712_141359.jpg

PXL_20200907_155216414.jpg

PXL_20200828_033709042.jpg

PXL_20200909_012412625.jpg

I don't consider myself cheap when it comes to the hobby, but I have not been able to justify the price of a Fluval 3.0 when compared with some of the generic lights from China. On 2 of my 75's I have a 4' NICREW full spectrum on one with plants and a 4' NICREW classic 2.0 on another one. 

Honestly, they look the just as good as the one with an Aquasky. But cost less than 1/2. Now that the generics have apps, timers, customizable cycles, etc. It's hard to pay so much more for a name brand.

20 hours ago, Mr. Ed's Aquatics said:

I don't consider myself cheap when it comes to the hobby, but I have not been able to justify the price of a Fluval 3.0 when compared with some of the generic lights from China. On 2 of my 75's I have a 4' NICREW full spectrum on one with plants and a 4' NICREW classic 2.0 on another one. 

Honestly, they look the just as good as the one with an Aquasky. But cost less than 1/2. Now that the generics have apps, timers, customizable cycles, etc. It's hard to pay so much more for a name brand.

I also got the NICREW full spectrum for my 75g and I really like it.  I had to return my first one through amazon because it kept turning on and off randomly.  The second one works perfectly.  I wanted to pick one up for my 20g but I got a good deal off of marketplace for another brand that I cant remember.  

Love the Fluvals but Nicrew is definitely great. I’m doing smaller tanks so can’t show the look so well. I will say that I’ve heard to read the Nicrew reviews as certain models are not great but I’ve loved what I have from them so far. 

I'm another one who can't justify the price of the Fluvals for growing plants. I have both running on different tanks around the house but honestly it seems like the NICREW are growing plants better than the Fluval 2 or 3 that I have. Primarily the fluval 3 is still on the tank it is because the husband likes to play around with the light feature and watch it do the whole day/night light cycle. And sometimes he gets in a mood while listening to or making certain types of music and so he'll  change the light color to whatever he feels fits. For the entertainment it brings my husband? The fluval is a fine price to pay. 

But in the rest of the tanks where I'm  more interested in just having a light to grow my plants? I'll stick with the NICREW because they're so cheap and seem to work just as well if not better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nataku said:

I'm another one who can't justify the price of the Fluvals for growing plants. I have both running on different tanks around the house but honestly it seems like the NICREW are growing plants better than the Fluval 2 or 3 that I have. Primarily the fluval 3 is still on the tank it is because the husband likes to play around with the light feature and watch it do the whole day/night light cycle. And sometimes he gets in a mood while listening to or making certain types of music and so he'll  change the light color to whatever he feels fits. For the entertainment it brings my husband? The fluval is a fine price to pay. 

But in the rest of the tanks where I'm  more interested in just having a light to grow my plants? I'll stick with the NICREW because they're so cheap and seem to work just as well if not better.

You prob grow low light plants mostly. Fluval 3.0 lights really get nice results when they are cranked all the way up with co2 at 30ppm. Nicrews won't even work in my tanks because they don't have enough light.

Got a 150, been trying some different things.

The first 2 lights on the left are Phillips 20 watt "250 watt equivalent" floodlights.  The next one is a HLG 100 V2.  4th one is a GE 32 watt par38 full spectrum grow light, and the 5th is an A360x

The HLG is wayyy too warm, 3000k, might be worth it to try a 4000k board.    Not sure the temp on the GE, on the warm side but not terrible. The Phillips are 5000k.

I like the A360x the most, then GE 32 Watt Full Spectrum, Phillipps, and last the HLG 100 V2.   A 4000k Quantum board might be next to the A360x, but I do not like the 3000k for a fish tank.

IMG_7430.jpg.e82bc19f65de1e5db2176d9e97915526.jpg

Edited by MattyIce

i am a big fan of the ai prime, you can really play with the shadows and create depth when used on a large tank, you’ll need 2 at a minimum for a 75g though. i do think the customization is better than a fluval light.

for larger tanks i think the fluval 3.0 is more affordable (1x $200 vs 2x $200) and will have a more even light distribution. if you really want to dive into aquascaping the 75g the ai prime would look nicer (in my opinion, i think pendant lights look better) and you can play with the positioning more to create an interesting look (for example have one light hanging more forward while the other is positioned more towards the back to create depth).

for a large aquarium where you need 2 or more? no, unless you really like the pendant look and want to play around with different positions. you would also be able to program them individually so you can play around with levels for the color and brightness to create unique looks for the aquarium. i really enjoy it on my 25g cube and am happy with it there but i wouldn’t want to invest in multiple $200 lights for a large aquarium unless i had the cash to burn. 

• 4 months later...

Hey I'm new here and can't get my Fluval 3.0 to connect with my iPhone. I'm no techie, but am somewhat familiar with utilizing Bluetooth with both the iPhone & my MacBook to play music over a couple of different speaker systems. After 3/4 hours trying all the Fluval suggestion, NOTHING............. (except huge frustration)

Any of you have problems with initial set up? Thanks in advance.