What is on your tank Christmas wish list?

Jeff

I wish there was some sort of "tank-scaping for dummies" class to take or step by step videos to watch, and I'd give that to myself for Christmas. My 45 came out all wrong after several plants died, some did not die but I thought they did, and others took over. The java moss is randomly scattered all over now. I am fussing too much over planning the 20L (Coop plant order being sent today - all using the easy planters, tank set up starts tomorrow!) knowing the tanks I see on here are set up so nicely. People attach plants to things, make rolling landscapes and hills, interweave wood with plants and rocks, and I have no idea how to do that. I see intricate setups in teeny 5 gallon tanks and wonder how in the world you all make it look so beautiful! I'm pretty good with regular houseplants, and when I was married I had a really successful vegetable garden and also grew beautiful blue spruces and apple trees from tiny saplings. I know skills improve with practice, but I will never be as good as 99% of you on here. 

• Like 3

I have on my wish list on the co-op website the brine shrimp hatcher, eggs, and the Fluval nano light. I shared the list with my wife earlier this week, I will have to see if I get anything off of it. I also put on my Christmas list Rosario Lacorte's book, and gift cards to be able tot buy the racks for expanding/ remodeling my fishroom.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maggie said:

I wish there was some sort of "tank-scaping for dummies" class to take or step by step videos to watch, and I'd give that to myself for Christmas. 

Try MD fish tanks on youtube. He does step by step builds. I ignore almost all the product recommendations, as he is in the UK, but his eye for placement is incredible, and you can learn a lot by watching it come together.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3uQXzXSPspf2LoGdtYGiHw

For me, I wish for a better water change system--I've tried the python and hated it so far. Need to at least get the j hook. It only fits on my small bathroom sink faucet, so that is complicating matters. For now buckets and bailing seem simpler.

Edited by Brandy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Maggie said:

I wish there was some sort of "tank-scaping for dummies" class to take or step by step videos to watch, and I'd give that to myself for Christmas. My 45 came out all wrong after several plants died, some did not die but I thought they did, and others took over. The java moss is randomly scattered all over now. I am fussing too much over planning the 20L (Coop plant order being sent today - all using the easy planters, tank set up starts tomorrow!) knowing the tanks I see on here are set up so nicely. People attach plants to things, make rolling landscapes and hills, interweave wood with plants and rocks, and I have no idea how to do that. I see intricate setups in teeny 5 gallon tanks and wonder how in the world you all make it look so beautiful! I'm pretty good with regular houseplants, and when I was married I had a really successful vegetable garden and also grew beautiful blue spruces and apple trees from tiny saplings. I know skills improve with practice, but I will never be as good as 99% of you on here. 

I would recommend these two books:

IMG_3118.JPG.8192dbcf69fa400a6ad97107ac93daef.JPG

I hope to do nice planted tanks one day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My birthday is ahead of Christmas and hubby was having a hard time finding another wish of mine... so with his blessing to replace that wish with this one, I just ordered this list and said "happy birthday to me!":

image.png.de09a79040c15b1cb6cf8a8b5c233d18.png

EEEEP!  Fingers crossed they arrive in good shape... there's snow on the ground.  I'm so excited about that lotus.... I read that they flower often 🙂

9 hours ago, Brandy said:

Try MD fish tanks on youtube. He does step by step builds. I ignore almost all the product recommendations, as he is in the UK, but his eye for placement is incredible, and you can learn a lot by watching it come together.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3uQXzXSPspf2LoGdtYGiHw

For me, I wish for a better water change system--I've tried the python and hated it so far. Need to at least get the j hook. It only fits on my small bathroom sink faucet, so that is complicating matters. For now buckets and bailing seem simpler.

I just had an issue with the python fitting our new faucet.  I did not know python makes a bunch of adapters for many sized and styles of faucets.  Check the python website.  Amazon carries most of the adaptors.  This was my problem with the python.

23 minutes ago, Brian P said:

I just had an issue with the python fitting our new faucet.  I did not know python makes a bunch of adapters for many sized and styles of faucets.  Check the python website.  Amazon carries most of the adaptors.  This was my problem with the python.

I have the adapter. I also have a "fancy, modern" completely impractical apartment with "stylish" fixtures.

24 minutes ago, Brandy said:

I have the adapter. I also have a "fancy, modern" completely impractical apartment with "stylish" fixtures.

24 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Sad to say, but our last new faucet had to have ability to fit the python.  Took out most fancy faucets.  Luckily it was for a spare bathroom.  First world fish keeper problems.  I still had to buy an adaptor for the smaller faucet end.  

Edited by Brian P

On 12/4/2020 at 5:54 AM, Maggie said:

Check out the Green Aqua YouTube channel! They get into some pretty advanced stuff but if you scroll through their list of videos they have some that cover basics of how to scape a tank. This playlist has some good info: 

I would skip the filter one for now (not sure why it is first) but the ones on the golden ratio and so on are good if you are getting started with moving from planted tanks to aquascaping. They have some really cool stuff in some of their other playlists, too! Goerge Farmer also has some great, slightly more beginner-friendly videos.

Edited by IanB
Typo
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 9:29 PM, Jeff said:

Santa is bringing me the Ziss Brine Shrimp Hatchery, with all the fixins: Never Clog Airstone, USB Nano Air Pump, Fritz Freshwater Salt, and ACO Black Airline Tubing.

What will Santa be bringing you?

Congrats on the ZiSs hatchery.   I have it and love it!
I got myself and the whole family new higher speed internet for Christmas.  Now I can watch Cory and and others on iTunes and actually see their faces!   Not the blurry blobs I’m used to watching.  🤣🤣🤣🤣