Don't you just love this forum and communtiy?

FrozenFins

Ever since I joined this hobby (little over a year ago) I have been looking for a forum to post pictures, questions and answers. 

And then cory mentioned this forum in a live stream and all my probelms were solved.

It used to be that I would ask a question to a random forum and I would be lucky if I even got one answer to the question. Now I get multiple answers from multiple nerms. 

I love this FishTube community. In this community you could put a goldfish in a bowl (not saying you should), and then relize you did wrong and ask for help. And instead of being absoloutley bullied you get helped out. This is a place where you can admit your mistakes, and not have to fear judgement.

I love being able to help people out who are new to this hobby.  

Edited by James Black
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

57 minutes ago, James Black said:

Ever since I joined this hobby (little over a year ago) I have been looking for a forum to post pictures, questions and answers. 

And then cory mentioned this forum in a live stream and all my probelms were solved.

It used to be that I would ask a question to a random forum and I would be lucky if I even got one answer to the question. Now I get multiple answers from multiple nerms. 

I love going to the forum when I'm bored and just being a total nerm. Like when my science teacher is tryna make jokes about the periodic table, instead of pretending to laugh I go to the forum and answer questions.

I love this FishTube community. In this community you could put a goldfish in a bowl (not saying you should), and then relize you did wrong and ask for help. And instead of being absoloutley bullied you get helped out. This is a place where you can admit your mistakes, and not have to fear judgement.

I love being able to help people out who are new to this hobby.  

I've only been in the hobby for about 14 months now & can relate to what you are saying.  There are many sources to review on aquarium knowledge, but this Forum has a great number of folks, many of which whom have decades of experience, that eagerly share their knowledge, for hours each and every day.  That is very commendable in my book.  

Before I ventured into this hobby, I read/watched everything that I could get my hands on and still probably only know a small fraction of what is really "to know".  

What I do know is that we all can contribute, in some fashion, & regardless of our experience level.  Starting with the basics and slowly progressing in experience, while remembering to have fun in the process; since this is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby.  

Personally, am very grateful for the vast knowledge here and it's a comfort knowing that a question can be asked & answered very quickly.  

I also feel that Cory hit a home run with this endeavor and am happy to help do my small part as an individual member of the NERM team.  

Welcome to the hobby & the Forum......Keep up the enthusiasm, BTW.  :classic_smile:

• Like 5

I really enjoy the cycle of knowledge. You spend a bunch of time learning something, trying it firsthand, and then you get to the point where you are helping others with the same topic. This helps you refine your thoughts, and give others the advice that you wished that you would have heard when learning.

When I was doing programming classes in college, nothing helped my own progress more than when I was a TA for some LISP classes.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It is a fish nerd. @Cory was a bit tongue tied for moment in a recent live stream and accidentally invented a new word. If you are a member of this forum, you are a nerm.🙂

i thought a nerm was someone that seems like a normal person but when with other fishkeepers they are a nerd

1 minute ago, quirkylemon103 said:

i thought a nerm was someone that seems like a normal person but when with other fishkeepers they are a nerd

That's the gist of it.

I've really enjoyed being a member of this community. My SO and our friends will listen to me when I get excited about fish stuff but they just don't "get" it the way y'all do. There are also some facets to this that remind me of my time back in some old RuneScape communities 😂

• Like 2

This forum has filled a hole in my life. 🤪 I have had tanks for years and it was just my dad and I. Then I found myself with health issues and in the hospital for a few months and I stumbled onto what is the online fish community. I never had social media before then.

People in my family used to joke with me about having a "fishroom". I had absolutely no idea that it was actually a thing until I saw someone online post their own fishroom. From there I typed in fishroom on YouTube and discovered Cory's videos. The rest is history.

I have a friend or two who keep fish, but I don't know anyone irl who are a bonafied nerms.

Thanks to all you people! And @Cory for making this forum specifically. I thought I was the only crazy one for a few years there. 😭

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, James Black said:

I love going to the forum when I'm bored and just being a total nerm

1 minute ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

pretty much the sum total of my social life

This forum has been very beneficial for my mental health since I started working from home earlier this year. I live by myself and was completely isolated from any social interaction. Not that I got to talk about aquariums much at work. I would usually spend all day at my cubicle listening to old live streams and anticipating getting home to my tanks. I used to have my shrimp as my background on my monitors, opposed to my coworkers who usually had their children or dogs, hoping someone would ask about them. Now I can be right next to my tanks, have live streams going, have the forum pulled up on my laptop, and be ready to assist and learn all day. All while not having to worry about my boss walking by.

• Like 5

I dunno.. it's a Saturday morning and due to fishkeeping in general and this forum in particular, instead of enjoying dolce far niente I am awaiting for a lot of hard manual labor ahead of me. A new big wooden aquarium stand is about to be delivered. To be maneuvered to a high floor, assembled and placed in its place (currently occupied by other furniture) by me. And it's not even for one of my tanks! 💔

...But I will get a bigger tank too, that's a consolation... and doing nothing is not very enjoyable, actually... and keeping fishes is great to me... and being able to share and learn here is awesome... so  I guess, yes,  I love fishkeeping and this forum and community after all. ❤️

• Like 2