What's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

pedrofisk

For fun, because I am genuinely curious and maybe to inspire @Cory, what's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

One that just occurred to me is a quick test strip for Ammonia.

The one thing I do worry most about is an Ammonia spike due to an irregularity (dead fish etc) that I might not notice right away. My issue is my aquariums have to be negligent resistant because I have three young kids and pre-virus traveled for work a lot. So regular water changes can be spotty. I've tried those in tank circle ones but they always expire before doing anything (which is good I guess) and I am never going back to test tube drop testing. I burnt out on that years ago.

Let's hear about your non-existent dream product!

(desktop aquarium added for post thumbnail)

2020-05-01 16.34.59.jpg

Edited by pedrofisk
photo added for post thumbnail!
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, pedrofisk said:

Tetra makes those! I use them all the time! Dip for 10 seconds, read immediately!

https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-EasyStrips-Ammonia-Aquarium-25-Count/dp/B0053PQZ9C

Okay, this is gonna be a GREAT thread. I sense more such "actually that does exist" answers will be coming.

Edited by Bill Smith
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, Bill Smith said:

Tetra makes those! I use them all the time! Dip for 10 seconds, read immediately!

Okay, this is gonna be a GREAT thread. I sense more such "actually that does exist" answers will be coming.

Yes, I use those and they are great but they don't have Ammonia on them. In fact using one on my cherry shrimp aquarium was my inspiration for this thread.

39 minutes ago, Bill Smith said:

@Bill Smith, if anyone could make my 4k streaming camera submarine, I expected it would be you. Let me know when you are ready, and I will help you test out the prototype.

Edited by Daniel
Making sure Bill Smith knew which Bill I was talking about
  • Like 4

Just now, MickS77 said:

Mine exists but not for freshwater. Automatic water tester like the Neptune Trident. Automatic daily testing of nitrate, ammonia, nitrite, ph, Gh, kh with text alerts for high readings. 

Oooh! I want that too!. Don't think it would make my tanks any better, but oh the possibilities of playing with a new toy like that! We could probably hack it to make it work in freshwater. There is a guy named Harry who shows how to make the Neptune stuff do anything you want it to do. The Neptune stuff is infinitely hackable.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

56 minutes ago, pedrofisk said:

Yes, I use those and they are great but they don't have Ammonia on them. In fact using one on my cherry shrimp aquarium was my inspiration for this thread.

You are referring to the 6-in-1 strips. Tetra makes them BOTH. Ammonia is not on the 6-in-1 strips because of a chemical incompatibility. The ammonia strips are sold separately. You dip longer, read faster than the 6-in-1 strips.

See for yourself!

• Like 1

I dream of a distributed, invisible, water change system. One that I can turn a valve and change the water in a given tank, while I am doing something else.

Of course, could be done in a rack system, but not throughout my apartment...I have considered options but all of them involve snaking plumbing through walls, and somehow housing an aged water tank, in a closet? 

Ah, the pitfalls of renting.

• Like 10
  • Love 3

Dream aquarium product: a little container you program to catch certain fish (like, platties, guppies, etc), and then you just set it in your tank and AMAZINGLY all the fish of that type just go swim inside, making removal fast and easy. But until that's invented I guess I'll have to begrudgingly tear my aquariums apart and chase fish with a net in each hand. X3 

• Like 5
  • Haha 11

36 minutes ago, Pete said:

I want a heater / HOB filter combo. It makes sense to me. Both are items you size to the tank volume, so why not combine them? It'd be sweet to come up with an aftermarket impeller / heater insert that would work in an Aquaclear so you only have one plug to plug in. 

You mean like this? 😉

spacer.png

Not single plug-in, but effective!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

Dream aquarium product: a little container you program to catch certain fish (like, platties, guppies, etc), and then you just set it in your tank and AMAZINGLY all the fish of that type just go swim inside, making removal fast and easy. But until that's invented I guess I'll have to begrudgingly tear my aquariums apart and chase fish with a net in each hand. X3 

I once put Endler's in my big tank and they bred like guppies! I regretted it but there was no way to get them out again short of draining all 500 gallons. I got one of these minnow traps

MinnowTrap.PNG.18897732759c59070cc51ebdfe87c444.PNG

and within a few days I had captured the last female, which put an end to the endless Endler's population explosion.

Edited by Daniel
grammar
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

I think flake food (maybe). They were pretty curious and tended to wander in. My memory was they would be in the trap in the mornings. I wish I had those Endlers back now. Sometimes when something is working well you don't appreciate what you've got. The other way to catch the Endler females was to net them at night when they were sleeping, but that wasn't effective enough to eradicate them.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I once put Endler's in my big tank and they bred like guppies! I regretted it but there was no way to get them out again short of draining all 500 gallons. I got one of these minnow traps

MinnowTrap.PNG.18897732759c59070cc51ebdfe87c444.PNG

and within a few days I had captured the last female, which put an end to the endless Endler's population explosion.

I thought about getting something like that! I tried making a little home made trap out of a plastic water bottle, but I kept catching my betta over and over and not the fish I wanted. X3 NEXT TIME I guess I'll set up the quarantine tank and let my betta chill in there while I try to catch out fish!

6 hours ago, pedrofisk said:

For fun, because I am genuinely curious and maybe to inspire @Cory, what's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

The one thing I do worry most about is an Ammonia spike due to an irregularity (dead fish etc) that I might not notice right away. My issue is my aquariums have to be negligent resistant because I have three young kids and pre-virus traveled for work a lot. So regular water changes can be spotty. I've tried those in tank circle ones but they always expire before doing anything (which is good I guess) and I am never going back to test tube drop testing. I burnt out on that years ago.

How about an automatic, ultrasonic biofilm/algae scraper.  With fully adjustable parameters not to damage silicone seals, remove programmed levels of layers of build-up & an alert when completed.  Well, at least I can dream..  🤔😏

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, pedrofisk said:

I'd love some sort of substance that acted like activated charcoal, but was able to absorb nitrates, so that you either wouldn't need to do water changes or would have to do them a lot less frequently. I sometimes travel for work, and my roommate feeds the fish, but he can't do water changes, which is sometimes a problem. I do use seachem purigem, but i'm not sure how effective it is at decreasing the need for water changes

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Since my first dream product turned out to already exist (thanks everyone!) here is another:

An auto-dosing pump for planted aquariums that first measures for various fertilizer concentrations in the aquarium and then auto-doses the correct missing ferts. So I would probably just set up with Easy Green and Iron but for someone doing Estimative Index (EI) Fertilization Method it could be more options. Maybe throw in an auto-water change if the concentrations get too high for EI as long as I am fantasizing.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

An AI algorithm monitoring my tank via a video camera, classifing all species (animal and plants) and monitor them in time for changes. The AI will warn me of changes in color, pattern, size, behavior so I can early detect problems. It does not need to be very complicated, similar to what we have today on phones for face unlock combine with Google Lens. This could be an app on your phone but better if in a dedicated device attached to the tank or inside Daniel's submarine (which I like that too!). 

Edited by Diego
  • Like 9
  • Love 1