On 10/2/2021 at 5:18 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’d love to do some solar.  On the list after a bigger gennie.  And new flooring.  And a new front door.  I’m not sure why we never get around to that one, well, yes I do, the old door is perfectly functional, just ugly.  😆  I’m also interested in this magical 3 day battery, too.

16332242938143173693139247255041.jpg.aebe0ea99713d29835ca18b2079a76e6.jpg

• Love 1

On 10/2/2021 at 7:28 PM, Guppysnail said:

Does the compressor work for airlines to sponges.?

It can, however it will make your tank look and sound like a hot tub with the bubbles, and wears out the charge pretty quickly. 

It will run up to 4 nano pumps for up to 3 days.

*up to 4 of the nano USB pumps

• Love 1

On 10/2/2021 at 9:22 PM, Torrey said:

It can, however it will make your tank look and sound like a hot tub with the bubbles, and wears out the charge pretty quickly. 

It will run up to 4 nano pumps for up to 3 days.

*up to 4 of the nano USB pumps

Nice!

Well, on running 4 nanos, not the tank sounding like a hot tub!  😆 

@Guppysnailthat Ludwigia super red is fantastic! Great job with your plant propagation! You’re getting some decent growth in a low tech system well done! 

We have a small power station made by Jackery that has a solar panel and can be plugged in to an outlet to charge. When we had a blackout for 8 hours it only used 10% to run my 4 air pumps and heaters. Jackery Solar Generator 1000, Explorer 1000 and 2X SolarSaga 100W with 3x110V/1000W AC Outlets, Solar Mobile Lithium Battery Pack for Outdoor RV/Van Camping https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P2Q83BY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FXKJJWR504N23XAEVQ8Z 

On 10/2/2021 at 8:59 PM, Odd Duck said:

ORD, 😞, but I wouldn’t mind seeing the turtle tank hot tub!  😆 

@Guppysnail will probably get a kick, too.

What you are seeing is a single airstone in a UG uplift tube. That is strong enough to **LIFT THE TUBE AN INCH OUT OF THE WATER**

We had a power outage, I can't remember how long ago, lol

Needless to say, fish were not impressed 

On 10/2/2021 at 10:07 PM, Torrey said:

What you are seeing is a single airstone in a UG uplift tube. That is strong enough to **LIFT THE TUBE AN INCH OUT OF THE WATER**

Turtle is like, “Woah, look at that!  What am I supposed to do about that?”

😆 😂 🤣 

On 10/2/2021 at 10:48 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Guppysnailthat Ludwigia super red is fantastic! Great job with your plant propagation! You’re getting some decent growth in a low tech system well done! 

We have a small power station made by Jackery that has a solar panel and can be plugged in to an outlet to charge. When we had a blackout for 8 hours it only used 10% to run my 4 air pumps and heaters. Jackery Solar Generator 1000, Explorer 1000 and 2X SolarSaga 100W with 3x110V/1000W AC Outlets, Solar Mobile Lithium Battery Pack for Outdoor RV/Van Camping https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P2Q83BY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FXKJJWR504N23XAEVQ8Z 

That is very cool. Extremely out of my budget though. Last year hubby and I started looking into solar roofing but the company seemed odd. They do installation and supply materials reasonably priced but…they charge you a monthly bill forever which is dictated by how much extra you provide to their network that is unused by you. It’s a huge explanation and we both got that gut feeling something was just not cool with it. 

On 10/2/2021 at 11:07 PM, Torrey said:

I bet the fish were not impressed 🤣 that’s a lot of bubbles. 

On 10/2/2021 at 11:14 PM, Odd Duck said:

Turtle is like, “Woah, look at that!  What am I supposed to do about that?”

😆 😂 🤣 

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/3/2021 at 8:57 AM, Guppysnail said:

After seeing the corydora presentation last month I found this interesting thought I would share. https://www.scitechnol.com/peer-review/the-reversal-of-selfpoisoning-in-bronze-and-albino-corydoras-qZN9.php?article_id=11302

Sorry, @Guppysnail, nothing at all against you, but that study is horrible and bizarre.  Everybody brace yourselves, I’m about to jump on a soapbox, here, and point out everything, well, most of the reasons, for what’s wrong and bizarre about this report.

There are no controls for the study:  no control group of any kind, no group where they just moved the cories to clean water from the water with the toxin, no mention of how the cories were triggered to cause the self poisoning, a bizarre and incomplete discussion of how to make the garlic extract with zero discussion about the concentration of garlic extract produced, no mention that it can cause liver failure (although it does mention potential anemia although that hasn’t been proven in fish, to my knowledge, only the liver failure has been proven), no mention why they decided that garlic extract should be used or could work other than it’s been used as an appetite stimulant (what does that have to do with stopping a self poisoning episode?), and not even an accurate name for the species.  They also didn’t use cories that hadn’t been self poisoned and use the garlic treatment on them to see if it caused cardiac arrest.  That might have at least made the study worth something.  As it stands, it tells us nothing useful since we don’t have any subjects that got any different treatment than the study group.  Without controls, this information tells us absolutely nothing.

They were also randomly talking about how albino cories are made blind by being injected by red dye.  I’ve never seen albino cories injected by red dye and it seemed to imply their eyes were injected to cause the blindness.  I’ve also never seen a blind albino cory unless its eyes were injured somehow.  They also talked about doing CPR on the cories that were self poisoned because their hearts stopped while in the garlic solution.  Really doesn’t seem like the garlic was all that helpful.

I can’t believe this study was even accepted for publication!  It’s incredibly poorly written, very limited data collected, contains false information, it’s a poor hypothesis with absolutely no data to support their idea that this treatment might work, didn’t even consider that just providing clean water away from the toxin might be the real reason for the recovery, and an absolutely bizarre description of doing CPR in the poor cories after they determined there was cardiac arrest.  No description of how they monitored the heart to determine there was cardiac arrest and believe me, that can be much harder than you might think in exotic animals.

Just all around bizarre and completely useless without any sort of control group as part of the study.  It would be like me deciding to smother children until they almost stopped breathing, then moving them into a tent filled with lavender aroma therapy, then deciding the lavender was the reason they all recovered when it was really the oxygen in the tent that saved them.  There is absolutely nothing that determines the garlic had anything to do with their recovery and it’s quite frankly embarrassing as a scientist that such a poor study like this made it into publication.

Edit to add that they even mention the albinos as a separate species in one spot then later state they are the same species as the C. aeneus.  A true scientist would never call an albino a separate species.  There are more than one species of cory that has an albino form and they mention nothing about how they determined that these were C. aeneus albinos.  Although they are the most common albino cory, they are not the only species of albino corys.  Another clue that this study is garbage science.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 3
  • Love 3

On 10/3/2021 at 1:26 PM, Odd Duck said:

Sorry, @Guppysnail, nothing at all against you, but that study is horrible and bizarre.  Everybody brace yourselves, I’m about to jump on a soapbox, here, and point out everything, well, most of the reasons, for what’s wrong and bizarre about this report.

There are no controls for the study:  no control group of any kind, no group where they just moved the cories to clean water from the water with the toxin, no mention of how the cories were triggered to cause the self poisoning, a bizarre and incomplete discussion of how to make the garlic extract with zero discussion about the concentration of garlic extract produced, no mention that it can cause liver failure (although it does mention potential anemia although that hasn’t been proven in fish, to my knowledge, only the liver failure has been proven), no mention why they decided that garlic extract should be used or could work other than it’s been used as an appetite stimulant (what does that have to do with stopping a self poisoning episode?), and not even an accurate name for the species.  They also didn’t use cories that hadn’t been self poisoned and use the garlic treatment on them to see if it caused cardiac arrest.  That might have at least made the study worth something.  As it stands, it tells us nothing useful since we don’t have any subjects that got any different treatment than the study group.  Without controls, this information tells us absolutely nothing.

They were also randomly talking about how albino cories are made blind by being injected by red dye.  I’ve never seen albino cories injected by red dye and it seemed to imply their eyes were injected to cause the blindness.  I’ve also never seen a blind albino cory unless its eyes were injured somehow.  They also talked about doing CPR on the cories that were self poisoned because their hearts stopped while in the garlic solution.  Really doesn’t seem like the garlic was all that helpful.

I can’t believe this study was even accepted for publication!  It’s incredibly poorly written, very limited data collected, contains false information, it’s a poor hypothesis with absolutely no data to support their idea that this treatment might work, didn’t even consider that just providing clean water away from the toxin might be the real reason for the recovery, and an absolutely bizarre description of doing CPR in the poor cories after they determined there was cardiac arrest.  No description of how they monitored the heart to determine there was cardiac arrest and believe me, that can be much harder than you might think in exotic animals.

Just all around bizarre and completely useless without any sort of control group as part of the study.  It would be like me deciding to smother children until they almost stopped breathing, then moving them into a tent filled with lavender aroma therapy, then deciding the lavender was the reason they all recovered when it was really the oxygen in the tent that saved them.  There is absolutely nothing that determines the garlic had anything to do with their recovery and it’s quite frankly embarrassing as a scientist that such a poor study like this made it into publication.

Edit to add that they even mention the albinos as a separate species in one spot then later state they are the same species as the C. aeneus.  A true scientist would never call an albino a separate species.  There are more than one species of cory that has an albino form and they mention nothing about how they determined that these were C. aeneus albinos.  Although they are the most common albino cory, they are not the only species of albino corys.  Another clue that this study is garbage science.

I am in awe of your ability to analyze things like this. I have limited knowledge of scientific processes.  College was spent in business and finance. You are such a boon and your knowledge is incredible and appreciated. 
I try to stick to reading things that seem published by universities or science groups because my ability to determine if articles are valid relies on if it sounds plausible.  Thank you for all this info. I am always fascinated when you share your knowledge 🥰

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2021 at 1:42 PM, Guppysnail said:

I am in awe of your ability to analyze things like this. I have limited knowledge of scientific processes.  College was spent in business and finance. You are such a boon and your knowledge is incredible and appreciated. 
I try to stick to reading things that seem published by universities or science groups because my ability to determine if articles are valid relies on if it sounds plausible.  Thank you for all this info. I am always fascinated when you share your knowledge 🥰

Thank my teachers and colleagues who are assiduous in detailed dissection and review of what is good and bad about published articles.

I as very surprised that this looks like a legit publication on the surface, but there’s no way that article would (edit to say should, not would) have made it through peer reviews in any legit journal.

And @Guppysnail I’m so glad you did not take it personally since it’s in no way a reflection on you that a journal let this slide through the review process.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 2

On 10/3/2021 at 2:56 PM, Odd Duck said:

Thank my teachers and colleagues who are assiduous in detailed dissection and review of what is good and bad about published articles.

I as very surprised that this looks like a legit publication on the surface, but there’s no way that article would (edit to say should, not would) have made it through peer reviews in any legit journal.

And @Guppysnail I’m so glad you did not take it personally since it’s in no way a reflection on you that a journal let this slide through the review process.

No offense taken. I make it very clear I’m not the sciencey type. I simply don’t know what I don’t know. I would have been offended if you did not speak up and let me think that was a real article 🤣

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Canister cleaning day 🤮 and winterizing the tomato portion of the garden. Got some good pictures of Lefty today. He still has a tiny stub. I believe he was being out competed for food along with the 4 others I pulled as he has gotten bigger in just a few days. Probably why he was “dumpster diving” in the prefilter 6B16C125-9695-417F-82EB-B72D218F1891.jpeg.938bda4c40fa0c7cab8070bafbf181e5.jpeg27F28BB3-C75F-4C53-AF7F-D63CC6AF1947.jpeg.d52a384470e700715da6cbf7550b9723.jpeg

Decided to postpone CPD breeding Mom has a big egg belly again right on schedule.  I’ll need the funny tank for babies. It has a beautiful diatom bloom in it so that will be great food  8A72B75B-B55A-481A-A1D5-8801610000B2.jpeg.b78d2c14a5954af2cbd9a9a51a0e0afc.jpeg

As soon as I seen her belly I saw I had a third CPD hatch. I knew there were a few days worth of eggs berried in the gravel. I don’t know how many I’ll end with. I didn’t pull the plant liner until mid afterNoon so hopefully I won’t have many more. Much to tiny for pictures. 
snail bubble riding 4780DF15-DB4F-48D7-90D9-1A83B2FAFB91.jpeg.06df9441beabc388129fa93adb6bbd73.jpegABD6F1FF-E633-4762-A31C-405450CC66F3.jpeg.84e7ef1fff8c7d799de3ad2039fe79e7.jpeg

exhausting day but enjoyed the nice weather 😁

HAPPY ADVENTURES……TRY SOMETHING NEW

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 3

On 10/3/2021 at 10:23 PM, Atitagain said:

I’m with you on that 🤢🤮🤢🤮I’ve got 3 of them on schedule for tomorrow 😖

GL with mom. 

Thanks. They are the two pleco tanks that have canisters so super 🤮. She is not nearly big enough yet. I posted in my journal last time pics of minutes before she laid and a really cool one of seconds after she laid. She is hollow and her “skin” is still loose with her (cloaca in bearded dragons not sure what it’s called in fish) still open. 

I seriously need to up my game on fish anatomy 🤣

• Like 1

@Guppysnail your little dude is young enough he may regenerate a fair amount of that missing fin.  If really lucky, he may regenerate all of it.  Fish have significant fin regenerative capabilities, especially youngsters.  I’ve seen people post pics of their Bettas that got horrible fin then recovered and grew back their fins.  My female Jack Dempsey came out of their travel barrel on rescue day with a good sized chunk missing from her tail (dad’s a jerk) and grew it back completely in a couple months.

• Love 2

On 10/3/2021 at 10:40 PM, Odd Duck said:

@Guppysnail your little dude is young enough he may regenerate a fair amount of that missing fin.  If really lucky, he may regenerate all of it.  Fish have significant fin regenerative capabilities, especially youngsters.  I’ve seen people post pics of their Bettas that got horrible fin then recovered and grew back their fins.  My female Jack Dempsey came out of their travel barrel on rescue day with a good sized chunk missing from her tail (dad’s a jerk) and grew it back completely in a couple months.

I did not know this. My guppies have regrown tail fins. Dad pleco broke the tip of the bony part off both his pectoral fins (longfins I will not do again). Neither bothered him.  That is exciting.  Lefty does not seem to notice his fin is missing.  He is very active and gets around amazing. 

• Like 2