What are your favorite fish species?

I have many years of goldfish and betta experience and a bit of that with Endlers and  platies, all years ago, and now about ten months with guppies and mollies as well. For looks, I love the old style veil tail goldfish. Nothing beats them for glamour in my book. But I really enjoy Planted community tanks the most as far as actually enjoying Fishkeeping. If I had to choose just one species it might be Endlers, but really I love mollies and platies too. I love peaceful fish and they are all that.

• Like 2

I've got 5 nano tanks and working on 3 large setups, so lots of potential to keep many things. Love my grumpy betta, but he really needs to be alone 😞 Endlers are hardy livebearers, smaller than guppies and really fun to watch and breed - just got my first babies last week! Really LOVE our shrimp and crayfish, watch them perhaps the most. Loaches and catfish are also a blast, love watching our kuhli and bristlenose pleco antics every day.

Planning a pair of south american tanks that will have small fish on one side - green neon, silvertip, pristella/x-ray, rummynose and possibly diamond tetras, some apisto cichlids - and larger ones on the other side - angels, geophagus, and congo tetras (not SA bt have to have them). Corydoras and more bristlenoses. The bedroom tank I am working on now may have more angels, but who knows?

I loved african cichlids but found them a bit limiting over time - the mouthbrooders are so fun to watch though. 

But my all-time favorite fish? The ones I saw first as a kid. Oscars! They really are water puppies.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 11:12 AM, Gannon said:

Archerfish hands down! They are very needy, skittish, and need to be treated with special care because of these things, but its worth it for these remarkably fascinating and intelligent animals. 

image0.jpeg

Gorgeous aquarium!

• Like 1

I’m currently obsessed with my gold nugget pleco, angelfish, hummingbird tetras, and Betta persephone.  Have become crazy about bristlenose plecos, too.  Kinda over pea puffers (they’re too deliberately bad for me) but mine are living out their best life.  And I’m still hoping to find 1-2 female scarlet badis.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2022 at 1:20 PM, Brian said:

Keeping fish for 50 years.  My favorite is the next one.   

^^^^^ There we go, that's the answer I was trying to phrase. I pretty much love them all and when I get a new one into the house that I haven't kept before I'm obsessed with that one until the next comes along. Still love the last one just as much but it's that endless new discovery that keeps me hooked. 

• Like 3

Corydoras are my favorite to breed.

and....

Barbs and loaches are my favorite (in addition to corys) to keep.

and....

I've never kept them, but Gobies are super interesting to me.

On 4/13/2022 at 11:20 AM, Brian said:

Keeping fish for 50 years.  My favorite is the next one.

Out of your tanks you have, what is the fish you've had the longest? What is the one that if you were down to one tank you'd keep?

Edited by nabokovfan87

Bucketlist fish... some I have already kept, and others I have only learned about due to the Co-op's YouTube channel:

1. Discus (did that, bred that, it was fun in my 20's too much work now)

2. Betta macrostoma (I need to find a way to get them sufficient humidity, so not any time soon)

3. Four Spot Splash Tetras (want!)

4. killies

5. Gobies

6. NANF

7. Purple fish (most rare color gene in majority fish species, I have had lavender/purple bettas I used to breed)

8. CT guppy

9. Farlowella

10. Moapa Dace

12. Devil's Hole Pupfish (they are so cute and a beautiful blue!!!)

13. Akihita futuna

14. Diamond darter

15. Damba mipentina

16. Pitbull pleco

17. Queen Arabesque pleco

19. Zebra pleco

20. Malaysian Rainbow shrimp

#10 though #15 I probably won't ever get to breed. They are critically endangered, and require a special license and enrollment in a rescue breeding program... which is sad, as we used to catch diamond darters as children...

Probably won't ever get the plecos, as I no longer keep heated tanks, but this is a bucket list, right?

• Like 4

Got to be catfish something for everyone from a small pygmy Cory's to monster redtail catfish if you have a tank big enough and I have a soft spot for licorice gourami the colours are stunning hoping to get some in the near future

Screenshot_20220208-023238~2.png

Screenshot_20220208-023140~2.png

Screenshot_20220208-160351~2.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Mine is bristolnose pelco & cories .. But I am thinking of changing my tank … After my current old fish is gone … to a   bottom dwellers tank … I really like the look of some catfish like the   Pictus Catfish. I have  had the same small tetras and cories ever since I started in the hobby.. I am wanting a small change ...  Keeping my pelco and cories though 

• Love 1

On 4/13/2022 at 7:20 PM, Colu said:

Got to be catfish something for everyone from a small pygmy Cory's to monster redtail catfish if you have a tank big enough and I have a soft spot for licorice gourami the colours are stunning hoping to get some in the near future

Screenshot_20220208-023238~2.png

Screenshot_20220208-023140~2.png

Screenshot_20220208-160351~2.png

Colu, you are always introducing me to some of the most beautiful fish!

• Like 1