Ask a question, maybe get featured in a video

Cory

• Administrators

Tonight I'm going to film some answers to questions. I'll likely pull some from comments on  youtube and thought I'd offer it here as well. If this series works out, I'll do some more. Please be aware that I'll only be able to answer a few questions, so if I don't get to yours, ask it again during another round or in the comments of the video.

With that being said, If you've got some questions you think a broad audience is interested in, reply here. If you see a question you're interested in, give it a reaction to help me decide what to cover.

Can you help me understand why there are only a few dwarf cichlid options in the hobby? 2 days ago i bought got a pair of Laetacara Thayeri (can anyone confirm that they are infact Thayeri and not Dorsigera?). They are very friendly and full of character.  I'm sure more dwarf cichlid species exist in the wild and can be brought into the hobby as the size is ideal for the hobby and most tank sizes.

20220110_222823.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Given that you are now adding mangroves into your fishroom, do you think plants grown in a riparian setting are underutilized in the aquarium hobby as a form of nutrient export? Would the aquarium co-op ever think of making their own riparium planter? 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Cory, I owe my passion for this hobby solely to your YouTube videos.  Thank you so much for putting those out and creating this incredible forum. 

I'd actually love to know what is something you can learn from spending time watching fish in their natural environments that makes you a better fishkeeper? 

• Like 2

Do you have any information or resources for setting up an out door fish room? I live in Texas and the weather is all over the place. Temperature ranges from the 30’s to over 100, sometimes within just a day or two. I plan on building a small pond but for now just a few tanks.

Edited by Bettakeeper86
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 6:17 PM, Streetwise said:

That might be better as a forum topic. Cory is fish-first, and needs to be able to move fish on a dime. I would be happy to discuss.

Is there a thread on this topic already?  I haven't been here long enough to find everything.  I can't even keep up on a day-to-day basis.

On 1/10/2022 at 9:40 PM, msapphire012 said:

do you quarantine your otocinclus with the med trio? 

have you quarantined a fish with bad reactions to the med trio? can you please share your experience/how you dealt with it?

I've also been curious about otocinclus and using the med trio in general as it pertains the fasting portion of the regimen.  You've spoken before about the risk of Otos just ceasing eating once they begin to starve.  If they're not showing signs of sickness would it potentially be beneficial to ensure they are eating properly for a period of time (a week?) then dose meds to eliminate any potential diseases.  If so, are there any other fish that have the same propensity to stop eating once they start starving?

• Like 2