Ask a question, maybe get featured in a video

Cory

An alternative fish to keep instead of the Betta,  reading on here loads of people are really into them but they seem to have a high mortality rate especially with children and beginners. 

Is there a fish that while might not be as elegant has enough personality to compensate and can be kept in 5 to 10gal tanks and being a little better suited to the early days learning curve.

I feel lots of fish have as much personality if not more than bettas and something has to fit this bill and really save some painful journeys. 

Kinda a best first wet pet - not snails. 

• Like 1

I have by no means watched all of your videos, but having binged a lot of them last last few months... I haven't seen anything to know how to "test" for Easy Green dosage.  If I do a test strip and then dose my aquarium and wait an hour or something for it to get dispersed, when I do a test strip, what kind of changes should I see.  

I've got a pretty heavily planted 10 gallon that I never seem to see nitrates increase in.  Just a very very pale pinkish on the strips, I've been calling it "10" ppm, might be something like 15.  I've scaled the lights back yesterday and started dosing Easy Green a couple of weeks ago.  Lots of hair algae has popped up.  It's not a big deal as I'm simply learning.  Stock is 8 cardinal tetras, 1 honey gourami, 1 hillstream loach (tiny thing 1" maybe a bit bigger), and five or six cherry shrimp.  They're young fish so not to full bio load yet.  And most all of them won't be in there here in a few days when I get my 75 completely ready.

If I order discus from a reputable "dealer", in this case from Discus Hans who sells Stendker discus.  Should I do your "quarantine trio" on them immediately?  Is there some initial time after shipment that you typically wait before dosing the meds to allow for some decrease in stress level?  

Also curious if discus are more sensitive to meds in your experience?  If the eventual goal is to have a community tank with said discus, would you recommend putting the whole community together and then doing your quarantine treatment or perhaps holding the discus separate from other community members and dosing them independently from each other?

Hi @jwcarlson, I do not want to change the focus of the thread so I will not say much but 1 pump of easy green will give you a little over 3ppm of nitrates in 10 gallons of water. That may be tough to see on a test strip though. If your tank is heavily planted, more easy green may be required to keep up with the demands of the plants. You can send me a personal message on here if you would like to continue discussing this. Hope that helps! 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 9:15 AM, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

Cost effective ways to retain heat in outdoor tubs and techniques to keep tubs from freezing solid in cold winter areas.

Curious to corys answer but askong as there is 3ft of water and a pump or form of water agitation your pond should not freeze however without heavy duty heaters your limited on what fish you can keep in those Temps 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1