If you could tell your fishkeeping self something in the past, what would it be?

Ben_RF

If you could tell your fishkeeping self something in the past, what would it be?

What I would start off with is skip over the cheapest lights and buy something medium grade like a Fluval Aquasky or Plant 3.0 or Finnex Stingray.  Light will play such an important part of the enjoyment of the tank.  Also you will find yourself more easily combating algae when not having to deal with the excessive blue in cheaper lights.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Invest in the Aquarium Co-op, just kidding haha I would tell myself to focus on buying less equipment and items you do not really need and instead buy a larger aquarium. For example, sponge filters and power heads instead of big hang on the backs and canister filters. Or pool filter sand instead of aquarium sand. Organic soil instead of planted aquarium substrate. Things like that. 

• Like 5

Bigger isn’t ALWAYS better…

I started with a 210 saltwater tank 5 years ago, and spent a fortune on lights, hardscape, livestock and equipment. While I still enjoy it, my 10-29 gallon freshwater planted tanks with sponge filters are actually more enjoyable— less stress, less maintenance, less money, and equally beautiful in their own way.

• Like 7

On 10/13/2021 at 2:11 PM, Schwack said:
  • Buy a bigger tank. 5 gallons are a massive pain and severely limit your options. I wish I had started with a 29 or 40.

I agree! I started with a 10g and then bought a 5g to raise snails and I hoped shrimp. I cannot get the parameters right and it drives me crazy. I wish I had started larger so I had more options and more stability. 

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 10:43 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Patrick_Gi’ll learn from your Mistakes on the frogs!! I almost put them with 20 juveniles green Neocaridina?!

Haha, yeah that might have been costly! I’m also learning that not all ADFs are as aggressively hungry. I put a few guppy fry culls in my wife’s Frog and Betta tank but everyone seems to be living in harmony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1