Fish recommendations

Hi guys so I have a new fluval flex 9 gallon that is going to be my apartment tank. I was wondering, what are some fish reccomendations, preferably not tetras I would even be fine with one center piece fish.

List as many as you can and preferably fish that have long live 10 years plus if possible. The tank will be heavily planted. 

Thx 

On 7/29/2021 at 12:12 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

I've already done Khuli loaches so would prefwr not them. What are cpd's

Then are there any paring fish where you could keep a pair besides the usual guppies and endlers? 

Celestial Pearl Danios Breeding The Celestial Pearl Danio | BeChewy

Edited by Taco Playz
Spelling
  • Like 1

I know you said no tetra but as my centerpiece fish I would go with black darter tetra (Poecilocharax weitzmani) or a strawberry betta (Betta albimarginata). Something a little more intriguing, they live mildly long lives, but 10 years omits a lot of amazing nano species. Both prefer live foods, but can be weened on to frozen

Im generally a fan of multiple fish of a species as a disclaimer to my list 🙂. 10 years is a fairly long time and would likely have a few tank adjustments and resets as you evolve how you most enjoy it.

I would personally use live plants to help stabilize parameters a bit, filter, and break up sight lines 

My list of options i would consider by themselves in a flex 9.

1 to 3 pea puffer that might end up with 1 pea puffer but id try it with enough sight breaks.

Pencilfish group (pretty much all of them)

Clown killifish group

Smaller mouthbrooding betta trios: B.albimarginata or B.channoides

African Butterfly Cichlid

Pygmy sunfish

Cory ideas:

• Like 1

Community tank

1 male honey gouramis  - https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichogaster-chuna/ ( 8 years )
6 Dwarf Cories - https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-hastatus/ ( 3 years ) 

If you want to do a bit more water changes, you could maybe bump in 2 female honey gouramis also. 

* You could also changeout the male honey gouramis for 1 dwarf gouramis (powder blue females tend to be a bit more docile)

With this setup I would encourage you to establish hides with plants. 

Edited by Ben_RF
adding years

On 7/29/2021 at 12:04 PM, Taco Playz said:

White clouds live very long and would be good in a 9 gallon @Pizzafanis right Kuhli loaches live very long. CPD's also live fairly long and would be good in a 9 gallon.

CPD AGREE. 5 years if you hatch the eggs you will have cpd for life but they don’t overpopulate it’s rare they don’t get hunted down or egg eaten unless you remove the eggs and put in separate container. No special breeding things you can’t stop them from laying eggs every few days. 

• Like 1

I plan to do a pair of peacock Gudgeons in one of my tanks, I think they are beautiful and a fun pair to watch etc, supposedly breeds quite easily, do well in smaller tanks, pretty peaceful etc. Not sure about 10+ year lifespans but apparently it's 5+ so a bit better (than Bettas)

8696ab2c3ee9d330ac5a800c4006eeaf.png.1c24309cab0bfa07c3f53fce7f23ef05.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Chili rasboras are listed as living 4 - 8 years. If it were me I'd do chilis or another "micro" fish so I could have a bunch of them. Shrimp are always nice in a small tank as well. Individuals only live a couple of years but they replace themselves. Enjoy your new tank and whatever you choose to put in it!

On 7/30/2021 at 10:53 AM, Patrick_G said:

Corydoras fit the criteria, but I think it would be a little sad to have just Cories. A trio of Honey Gouramis would make things more interesting. 

Not necessarily.  Corydoras pygmaeus spend more time higher in the water column than other cory species, are small enough you could have a decent sized group in a 10 gallon tank, and are readily available.

Edited by JettsPapa
  • Like 2