Fish recommendations

On 7/30/2021 at 2:49 PM, JettsPapa said:

Not necessarily.  Corydoras pygmaeus spend more time higher in the water column than other cory species, are small enough you could have a decent sized group in a 10 gallon tank, and are readily available.

Right now ours think they are guppies. 

Hi y’all so I’m in college so this is going to be my apartment tank. It is going to be 10 gallons, I have a kessil a160 sun. What I want to know are there any pairs I can do, also odd ball fish or common fish also. Preferably long living fish 8 and up. Please leave any suggestions below. It is going to be heavily planted and heated with nutrient rich substrate.

thx

A trio 1m/2f celestial pearl danio 5 years but egg hatching is easy so you could have them indefinitely and make some money on the side. Add shrimp and snails if you like to make it more interesting.

I agree shrimp only is another option long lifespan if not there but they are prolific so you will always have plenty.  Pygmy corydora are fantastic fun as well.

• Like 1

Honey gouramis, sparkling gouramis, or licorice gouramis. The latter two gouramis max out at around 5 years, honeys have the potential to live longer with good care. I would put a maximum of two honeys in a ten gallon, but make sure they have a friend or other fish in the tank to entertain them, because they are quite social fish. I do not recommend dwarf gouramis because the stock available right now is not very healthy and prone to Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus. I have heard it is difficult to keep dwarf gouramis alive for longer than a year due to their fragile health. If you can source wild caught dwarf gouramis, they are much hardier and sweeter in disposition, similar to a honey gourami in shape and temperament.

On 7/31/2021 at 10:46 AM, Stephen Zawacki said:

Please keep leaving suggestions I also have a question I saw these online I've had pipefish before, but these say their for ten gallons is that true please look.733782338_Screenshot_20210731-104432_SamsungInternet.jpg.c6e19101c18e1c77c37fdb538dc425e6.jpg

I’m not a ropefish xxxxx sorry pipefish. expert by any means but I think that one gets maybe 6-7 inches. I do not think 9 gallons remembering substrate decor and it’s very seldom filled to the tippy top would be great. I may be wrong I think they are cool. Hopefully I’m wrong as I often am 😁

Edited by Guppysnail
I’m an idiot

Hi y’all so I’m a college student doing to be in a apartment I’m taking my ten gallon with me it has a kessil a160e sun and it will be heavily planted.  So I want to know some stocking ideas. Also preferably longer living fish and I would love if I could have a pair of something.

please leave suggestions 

thx 

Hey yall so I'm in college and I have an apartment. My set up is a waterbox 10 cube with a twinstar series s light and it is heavily planted.  My question is can I have a pair of apisto double reds in a 10 gallon. They would have to be in there for life 10 Is the max size. I've raised apistos already and know how to take care of them. I want to make sure that if they can that they can live in a ten gallon for forever, and live happy and healthy and grow to max size.  I would get all the necessary supplies for them too. Please give incite 

Thx 

Apistogramma Borelli is a little bit of a smaller species and may be a better fit than a pair of cacatuoides. I've never kept a pair of apistogramma myself, but I'm reading that you have to ensure a pretty happy pair and plenty of cover due to their territorial nature. Borelli might be your best bet as their tank requirements appear to be a little smaller than the cacatuoides.

Definitely refer to others on the forum that have more extensive experience with apistogramma, though!

A 10 gallon cube is going to be kind of cramped imo for those 2 fish as adults. It doesn't have the length of the traditional 10 gallon aquarium and even then some people say you should go for a 20 long. If it was a normal 10 gallon and was well taken care of I think it could work if not ideal.

• Like 1

Ok so I need to find out the answer I have already done the borelli I would like to do the cacatoides what I need to know is can they live their life happily and healthy and grow to full size in a 10 cube.  It is heavily planted I have a twistar s series light and the caves already. It would be species only. Also I always check parameters and change water.  Can someone please answer 

Thankyou

On 8/7/2021 at 3:22 PM, Stephen Zawacki said:

Ok so I need to find out the answer I have already done the borelli I would like to do the cacatoides what I need to know is can they live their life happily and healthy and grow to full size in a 10 cube.  It is heavily planted I have a twistar s series light and the caves already. It would be species only. Also I always check parameters and change water.  Can someone please answer 

Thankyou

What numbers did you get when you last checked your water parameters? That might be helpful in answering your Apistogramma cacatuoides question.