CARE Forum Anniversary

Streetwise

1 hour ago, Hobbit said:

@FlyingFishKeeper ooo yes tank competitors would be awesome! Consider it officially on the list.

Here’s the lineup so far for Stormin’ the Forum week, July 11-17 (if I can commandeer your name @Celly Rasbora 😁 :

• Fish photo contest(s) by @James Black
  • Tank competitions by @FlyingFishKeeper
  • @CorydorasEthan is running some thing or things (let me know which one(s) you decide on)
  • A thank-you video thread by @Aubrey
  • A forum highlights reel by @Daniel (I saw you’ve already started so I’m assuming you’re committed enough for me to write your name down 😄)
  • Recipe for Fish Tacos (tacos for fish) and thread for posting videos by me
  • (tentative) @Cory may do a live stream
  • On Nerm Day (7/14): everyone wear ACO or other fish merch and go to your LFS!

Ideas currently without an organizer:

• Meme awards
  • Fish games
  • Whatever of his awesome ideas @CorydorasEthan doesn’t claim

And I’ll just say again that no one should feel pressure to do anything. This is supposed to be fun! We definitely don’t have to use all these ideas.

@Betsy I love the idea of a meme highlight thread and I wonder if we need someone other than @TheDukeAnumber1 to organize it—He may feel funny granting his own memes “best meme” status. 😅 Is that something you’d like to do?

I am willing to host any of mine. Probably the debate one, and maybe one of the others. If I can, I will do the articles, but I may need someone more experienced to help check the information in them to see if it is accurate. The mockumentary one is up for grabs if anyone wants it. If not, I'll do it as well.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 3:06 PM, CorydorasEthan said:

2. Articles. Would any forum members like to write articles for the forum on Nerm Day? I posted a topic earlier, and was wondering if anyone was interested. Of course, only write an article if you have had a lot of experience, done sufficient research, and actually want to. Also, members or administrators should check articles before they are posted (personal mesaging?) to ensure accurate information.

I'm not sure I feel experienced enough to write an article, but I'd be happy to offer proof-reading services for anyone who wanted them 🙂  It's something I enjoy as another hobby.

Edited by KaitieG
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, CorydorasEthan said:

I am willing to host any of mine. Probably the debate one, and maybe one of the others. If I can, I will do the articles, but I may need someone more experienced to help check the information in them to see if it is accurate. The mockumentary one is up for grabs if anyone wants it. If not, I'll do it as well.

@CorydorasEthan If it would help, I would be happy to tackle the Articles project. I am a freelance writer/editor (see "About" in my member profile), so I have done this sort of thing. Or if you prefer to be in charge, I could support whatever you need. 🤓 

• Like 2

Just now, Anita said:

@CorydorasEthan If it would help, I would be happy to tackle the Articles project. I am a freelance writer/editor (see "About" in my member profile), so I have done this sort of thing. Or if you prefer to be in charge, I could support whatever you need. 🤓 

Perfect timing! I am in the process of posting something in the articles thread, so be on the lookout!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anita said:

So, just to make sure I understand... Do you want me to take the ball and run with it?  🏃‍♀️ I.e., take charge of the Articles project?

You certainly could start up the articles project. Of course, I would always like to help with it as well. I think the "articles?" thread may be a better place to discuss this.

Edited by CorydorasEthan

On 4/8/2021 at 12:09 PM, Hobbit said:

For a fish themed game, what if we did “guess the fish from the tiny picture?” So someone would crop a picture of a fish so it only shows one body part (like the eyeball or the dorsal fin or something) and then we have to guess what fish it is. I feel like @Colu would be really good at this game.

Or on the other end of the spectrum, how about an aquarium version of "Where's Waldo?"

• Like 5

For the Photo Contest I was thinking we could have multiple topics to enter in.

Something Like...

• Prettiest Betta (because it seems that most people have one)
  • Best Scape
  • Best Looking Invertibrate
  • Prettiest Fish (this way no matter what everyone can join in)

What do you think?

Edited by James Black
  • Like 5

@James Black, sounds great to me! Although maybe something similar to  "Prettiest Aquatic Animal" so that people with turtles, axolotls, frogs, etc can also submit?

The tank competition could have the groups: 

Best Breeding Setup (BBS) - The best tank for both breeding, and in terms of appearance - Criteria: The submitted container must have had any sort of aquatic life breed intentionally. 

Most Lively Outdoor Water - The outdoor water container that supports the most diverse and lively ecosystem - Criteria: The submitted container must be outdoors in the photo, all aquatic life is accepted

The Fluval 3.0 Costs a Lot - The best tank in terms of appearance that does not have any live plants in it - Criteria: No plants are allowed in the tank during the photo, algae however is allowed

When Was the Last Water Change? - The best container holding water that is an enclosed ecosphere, in terms of looks, and "balance" - Criteria: This must be an enclosed ecosphere that has been sealed for at least a week (Note: Prior notice will be given.) 

Copper!?!!?!? - The best tank for appearance and enjoyment of the inhabitants which must be all inverts - Criteria: This must be a tank with no inhabitants apart from inverts.

More of fewer groups can be added or subtracted depending on how everyone likes these? Feedback is welcome! (If you have anything, just tell me!)  I also have some other ideas for groups such as high tech tanks, jungle tanks, saltwater, cold water, dirted tanks, and tanks with schooling fish only? Maybe setups can be submitted into more than one group too? Thanks! 

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper
  • Like 3

Love those ideas @FlyingFishKeeper

Heres what I'm thinking:

Reactions:

Last time we did this, it was me posting the photos for other forum members. Instead I want the forum members to post so that they get rewarded with reaction points. So, at the begining of the contest I will give forum members to 48 hours to post there photos.

Then, after the 48 hours no more submissions can be submitted. Now the forum members can react to their favorite photos, they can react to how ever many photos they want. I will give the forum members 72 Hours to react. Then we tally the reactions and the post with the most reactions wins! This contest will start on the monday of NERM WEEK and end on the Friday of NERM WEEK. NERM DAY is on the Wednesday. I feel that these celerbrations should be a week long thing.

Topics:

• Best Scape - Fairly simple, must include a full tank shot. Best Scape Wins. No 2D Backgrounds to "fool" the members. (background that includes a amazon sword cannot be used as some may think its part of the scape) Solid colored backgrounds are permitted.
  • Best Breeding Setup (BBS) - The best tank for both breeding, and in terms of appearance - Criteria: The submitted container must have had any sort of aquatic life breed intentionally. 
  • Prettiest Aquatic Animal - This can be a picture of whatever you want! You can have a picture of a turtle, frog, aquatic invert, fish, etc. The animal MUST be aquatic. Unfortantley this aquatic animal MUST be freshwater, as pretty much any saltwater fish would win.
  • Best Invert Tank - Must include one full tank shot of a aquarium inlcuding only inverts! no fish! The post can also include macro shots of your shrimp/ snails.
  • Tubbin' Time! - A picture of your outdoor water eco-systems. The picture MUST be taking outside! This can be your 3000gallon monster pond to your 5 gallon vase full of rice fish. It can even be a bucket of daphnia. The only requirement is that its outside and has living organisms in it. 
  • Water Dog -  A video of your most persoanble fish. The video can be uploaded through youtube or just from your computer.
  • Thats not allowed - a tank that has gone against at least one rule in the "aquarium rule book" this could be a tank that has never had a waterchange or a tank that has a neon tetra and a red tail catfish together.

Rules:

• Each fish/ aquarium posted MUST be currently owned by the owner of the post. This cannot be your freinds tank, but HAS TO BE YOUR TANK! It cannot be a tank that was running 10 years ago and since was taken down
  • The pictures/ videos taken MUST BE RELEVENT. Meaning that it must be a recent video/ picture taken. Only exceptions is the Water Dog contest as some fish does a really cute action, and only did it once. The water dog MUST still be alive.
  • If your post dissobeys one of the rules posted, it will be disqualified and may be "hidden". You will pm'd if your post does not allign with the rules.

I'm really excited guys, this should be fun!

Edited by James Black
  • Like 4

Nice job, if you don't mind could I use the rules and schedule for my own competitions? Also, I'm probably missing something by at least a mile, but are the fish photo contests, and the tank competitions being consolidated into one? (I'm fine with either option, just asking for the sake of planning! 🙂

11 hours ago, James Black said:

Love those ideas @FlyingFishKeeper

Heres what I'm thinking:

Reactions:

Last time we did this, it was me posting the photos for other forum members. Instead I want the forum members to post so that they get rewarded with reaction points. So, at the begining of the contest I will give forum members to 48 hours to post there photos.

Then, after the 48 hours no more submissions can be submitted. Now the forum members can react to their favorite photos, they can react to how ever many photos they want. I will give the forum members 72 Hours to react. Then we tally the reactions and the post with the most reactions wins! This contest will start on the monday of NERM WEEK and end on the Friday of NERM WEEK. NERM DAY is on the Wednesday. I feel that these celerbrations should be a week long thing.

Topics:

• Best Scape - Fairly simple, must include a full tank shot. Best Scape Wins. No 2D Backgrounds to "fool" the members. (background that includes a amazon sword cannot be used as some may think its part of the scape) Solid colored backgrounds are permitted.
  • Best Breeding Setup (BBS) - The best tank for both breeding, and in terms of appearance - Criteria: The submitted container must have had any sort of aquatic life breed intentionally. 
  • Prettiest Aquatic Animal - This can be a picture of whatever you want! You can have a picture of a turtle, frog, aquatic invert, fish, etc. The animal MUST be aquatic. Unfortantley this aquatic animal MUST be freshwater, as pretty much any saltwater fish would win.
  • Best Invert Tank - Must include one full tank shot of a aquarium inlcuding only inverts! no fish! The post can also include macro shots of your shrimp/ snails.
  • Tubbin' Time! - A picture of your outdoor water eco-systems. The picture MUST be taking outside! This can be your 3000gallon monster pond to your 5 gallon vase full of rice fish. It can even be a bucket of daphnia. The only requirement is that its outside and has living organisms in it. 
  • Water Dog -  A video of your most persoanble fish. The video can be uploaded through youtube or just from your computer.
  • Thats not allowed - a tank that has gone against at least one rule in the "aquarium rule book" this could be a tank that has never had a waterchange or a tank that has a neon tetra and a red tail catfish together.

Rules:

• Each fish/ aquarium posted MUST be currently owned by the owner of the post. This cannot be your freinds tank, but HAS TO BE YOUR TANK! It cannot be a tank that was running 10 years ago and since was taken down
  • The pictures/ videos taken MUST BE RELEVENT. Meaning that it must be a recent video/ picture taken. Only exceptions is the Water Dog contest as some fish does a really cute action, and only did it once. The water dog MUST still be alive.
  • If your post dissobeys one of the rules posted, it will be disqualified and may be "hidden". You will pm'd if your post does not allign with the rules.

I'm really excited guys, this should be fun!

if you don't mind can you add prettiest plant(just a picture of one aquatic plant)

• Like 2

@FlyingFishKeeper @James Black my thought was that one of you would run the tank contests, and one would run the fish contests. That way you’re splitting up the work. But planning together is also important because using the same format and voting system would be nice. That way it feels cohesive and the participants don’t have to learn two sets of rules.

I also love the idea of using tags—we should probably use some kind of tag for all of our events!

Question for @FlyingFishKeeper since you’re the tank contest person—would people be allowed to submit multiple pictures of their tanks? For example in the breeding setup category, what if you have multiple tanks involved, or you want to highlight certain features of the setup? Or for the invert-only tank, can you do one or two close-up shots and one full tank shot?

• Like 1

@Hobbit, yes, I also like the idea of having one FTS (full tank shot) then having the option for some closer photos to add more detail if it's okay if I use your idea? As for the one or two competitions I would be fine either way. There should definitely be continuity in terms of voting systems. I personally like the idea of having members submit then using reactions that @James Black used last time. 

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper
  • Like 2

@FlyingFishKeeper

Last time I had the contestents PM me their photograph, and then every day I would post a new round with the pictures.

The only change I think we should make is that this time its the Forum members posting their own submission. Then when people use the reactions as votes, the contestents get the reaction points.

Heres what I'm thinking: 

@FlyingFishKeeperyou do the:

• Best Breeding Setup (BBS) - The best tank for both breeding, and in terms of appearance - Criteria: The submitted container must have had any sort of aquatic life breed intentionally. 

And then I do:

• Prettiest Betta - A Picture of someones betta. The Prettiest Betta Wins!
  • The Comeback Kid - A before and after picture of a fish's journey through a disease. This could be a picture of a fish that looked almost dead at the petstore so you took it home, saved it and now its the healthiest its ever been. The fish that has had the biggest comeback wins! Note, that it does not need to be a "rescue" fish. It could be a fish that got sick in your care.

@FlyingFishKeeper This way we each have 4 topics to post

I also think that at the beginning of NERM WEEK, we get someone to create a thread of all the events that  are happening. @Hobbit because it seems that you are organizing most of this, do you want to do this?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Hobbit said:

For categories, maybe Laugh Out Loud, Too Real, Weirdest (in the best way)...?

Love it!  Yeah...so far, I am thinking of some similar categories:

• Funniest (L.O.L.)
  • I Resemble That (Too real)
  • Most Liked Meme (that one would be easiest - the meme with the most reactions in the thread would win)
  • Sickest Burn Meme
  • Want to Taco 'Bout It (Favorite Cory Meme)
Edited by Betsy
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Hobbit said:

@Betsy excellent! Thanks! I don’t see why we couldn’t use Google Forms, but maybe @Daniel will know for sure.

For categories, maybe Laugh Out Loud, Too Real, Weirdest (in the best way)...?

I am thinking about the best way to do this....still thinking.

• Like 2

Wow! I am out for a week due to re-injuring my back and come back and a huge event is being planned!! Yay! I'm a terrible event planner and still nursing my pain, but would love to be in on the contests and any livesteam! 

• Like 3