CARE Forum Anniversary

Streetwise

Hmm maybe we could play fishy games? Or have some silly contests for fish pictures, like “comfiest cave” and “best conversation between two fish,” or just go with the typical high school yearbook superlatives. Most changed, biggest flirt, class clown, etc.

• Like 2

On 7-14 we all go to our favorite LFS wearing murphy hats and say happy Nerm day at checkout. In the afternoon we have a remote-live taco eating contest, most tacos eaten in 10min, winner gets bragging rights. Have a year highlights thread, showcasing top the top content for the year in a few categories. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

A "Thank You" video thread? Where members can post a video showing appreciation and respect to the other members that have helped them or just made their experience on the forum a good one. Reactions and text replies are great, but hearing it from the person behind the screen would be pretty neat. It would really show off the soul of the forum - the people that make it up and their respect for eachother.

Also a yes to tacos, highlights, superlatives, games, and any other festivities.

And thanks @Streetwisefor bringing this up now so there is plenty of time to get something figured out.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Cory said:

Assuming I'm not traveling. Maybe we could do a forum only type of live stream. I'm making no promises, but I do think we could probably have some fun.

@Cory, even if its not for the anniversary, doing a question/answer coming primarily out of the forum could be a great way to drive traffic here 🙂 Fresh faces/avatars are always a great thing 🙂

• Like 1

It'd be rather appropriate to do a dunking booth - maybe using the 800 gallon. Every employee and moderator in the water! 

I had no idea the forum was so young. It's impressively well-run. Kudos to everyone involved in making it happen. You're doing an exceptional job. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay! So far we have these options:

• Fish Games
  • Fish picture contests
  • Wear Aquarium Co-op merch (or fish merch in general)
  • Year Highlights thread
  • Thank-you videos thread
  • (maybe) a Forum Live Stream
  • Meme Awards
  • Fish taco-eating 

We have plenty of lead time (Nerm Day is July 14) so we should be able to plan something really fun.

Remind me who ran the fish photo contest a while back? Maybe he could help run some picture contests.

@Daniel do you think you could put together a Year Highlights thread? And/or does anyone else feel inspired to help put something together?

I volunteer to create a fish taco recipe. 😀 If anyone wants to help with that, let me know and we can start a DM.

@Aubreythe thank-you video thread is an amazing idea. Would you be up for posting a little instruction/explanation post a few weeks before Nerm Day, and then on Nerm Day itself creating a thread where we can post our videos?

For a fish themed game, what if we did “guess the fish from the tiny picture?” So someone would crop a picture of a fish so it only shows one body part (like the eyeball or the dorsal fin or something) and then we have to guess what fish it is. I feel like @Colu would be really good at this game.

And of course we don’t have to do all these ideas. We should only do something if someone’s excited about running it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hobbit said:

Okay! So far we have these options:

• Fish Games
  • Fish picture contests
  • Wear Aquarium Co-op merch (or fish merch in general)
  • Year Highlights thread
  • Thank-you videos thread
  • (maybe) a Forum Live Stream
  • Meme Awards
  • Fish taco-eating 

We have plenty of lead time (Nerm Day is July 14) so we should be able to plan something really fun.

Remind me who ran the fish photo contest a while back? Maybe he could help run some picture contests.

@Daniel do you think you could put together a Year Highlights thread? And/or does anyone else feel inspired to help put something together?

I volunteer to create a fish taco recipe. 😀 If anyone wants to help with that, let me know and we can start a DM.

@Aubreythe thank-you video thread is an amazing idea. Would you be up for posting a little instruction/explanation post a few weeks before Nerm Day, and then on Nerm Day itself creating a thread where we can post our videos?

For a fish themed game, what if we did “guess the fish from the tiny picture?” So someone would crop a picture of a fish so it only shows one body part (like the eyeball or the dorsal fin or something) and then we have to guess what fish it is. I feel like @Colu would be really good at this game.

And of course we don’t have to do all these ideas. We should only do something if someone’s excited about running it.

All great ideas! I have a couple more suggestions:

1. Fish debates. Forum member would participate in fish-related debates on the forum. A topic would be presented (i.e best community fish, best fish food, best beginner fish, etc.), and two contestants would get 3 minutes (or whatever time is decided on, maybe 5 minutes) to write an argument. After each argument presented, other members will vote on who's was most convincing. You get a total of 5 posts (one for each argument), and whoever gets the most votes in the end wins. I don't know what the reward would be though... To make sure everyone who wants to participate gets to, multiple rounds will be held.

2. Articles. Would any forum members like to write articles for the forum on Nerm Day? I posted a topic earlier, and was wondering if anyone was interested. Of course, only write an article if you have had a lot of experience, done sufficient research, and actually want to. Also, members or administrators should check articles before they are posted (personal messaging?) to ensure accurate information.

3. Mockumentary: Make an aquarium-related mockumentary ahead of time, and post it on a mockumentary thread on Nerm Day. Whoever has the funniest mockumentary wins!

What do you guys think?

Edited by CorydorasEthan
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 8:03 PM, Streetwise said:

This forum went public on Bastille Day, 2020. I think it has been an amazing home for planted tank enthusiasts during a very difficult time. We should do something special to celebrate this community on 2021.07.14.  

Instead of the Bastille, maybe it could be Stormin' the Forum day?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hobbit said:

@James B awesome! What do you think of running a Nerm Day contest? It could be silly or serious, whatever you want.

I would LOVE TOO!!!

I love the idea of having the Nerms organize this day. After all it is "Nerm" Day.

I for one will be going to the LFS in my Murphy hat on that day!

• Thanks 1

@CorydorasEthan those are awesome ideas! Do you want to organize one (or more) of those? Whatever you don’t want to organize, we can see if someone else wants to.

One suggestion for the debate thread: what do you think of doing a word count instead of a time limit? That might be easier to track. The other benefit is that people can get their topics ahead of time (maybe a week, or maybe just a day) and prepare something. That way people don’t have to be free at a certain time to participate.

In terms of prizes, I don’t think we have to have real prizes. Just the bragging rights will be a prize in itself. 😁 Although if we do want real prizes for something, I know I would love a picture of my fish by @H.K.Luterman! I’m sure she doesn’t have time to do lots of pictures for lots of games, but maybe one or two contests would be an option? Or maybe we can just do a participation raffle?

@JamesB yay! Thank you!! Let us know if you need any help.

Also... I think this needs to extend into being a Nerm Week. There’s no way we’re going to be able to do all of this on one day. 😆

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

@CorydorasEthan those are awesome ideas! Do you want to organize one (or more) of those? Whatever you don’t want to organize, we can see if someone else wants to.

Yes I would definitely be up for organizing some (or all) of these.

9 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

One suggestion for the debate thread: what do you think of doing a word count instead of a time limit? That might be easier to track. The other benefit is that people can get their topics ahead of time (maybe a week, or maybe just a day) and prepare something. That way people don’t have to be free at a certain time to participate.

This is a great suggestion! We could definitely do this.

10 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

Also... I think this needs to extend into being a Nerm Week. There’s no way we’re going to be able to do all of this on one day. 😆

Yes!

• Thanks 1

If it's not too late maybe some friendly tank competitions, like "Best Breeding Setup", "Best Tank on a Budget", "Most Vibrant Summer Tub", etc? (Bonus points for including a taco in the frame lol!) I'd be happy to help organize this, and other events if needed/wanted! 

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper
  • Like 1

@FlyingFishKeeper ooo yes tank competitors would be awesome! Consider it officially on the list.

Here’s the lineup so far for Stormin’ the Forum week, July 11-17 (if I can commandeer your name @Celly Rasbora 😁 :

• Fish photo contest(s) by @James Black
  • Tank competitions by @FlyingFishKeeper
  • @CorydorasEthan is running some thing or things (let me know which one(s) you decide on)
  • A thank-you video thread by @Aubrey
  • A forum highlights reel by @Daniel (I saw you’ve already started so I’m assuming you’re committed enough for me to write your name down 😄)
  • Recipe for Fish Tacos (tacos for fish) and thread for posting videos by me
  • (tentative) @Cory may do a live stream
  • On Nerm Day (7/14): everyone wear ACO or other fish merch and go to your LFS!

Ideas currently without an organizer:

• Meme awards
  • Fish games
  • Whatever of his awesome ideas @CorydorasEthan doesn’t claim

And I’ll just say again that no one should feel pressure to do anything. This is supposed to be fun! We definitely don’t have to use all these ideas.

@Betsy I love the idea of a meme highlight thread and I wonder if we need someone other than @TheDukeAnumber1 to organize it—He may feel funny granting his own memes “best meme” status. 😅 Is that something you’d like to do?

• Like 8