Fish in the News!

pedrofisk

• 2 weeks later...

I am in school now, and we are talking about scientists trying to use CRISPR to take a gene from zebra danios that is regeriation, and put it in humans. I never knew this but zebra danios apparently can regrow any part of their bodies, like there heart even!

I am not sure this article is about it, but I think it is. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fcell.2017.00099/full

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It is not exactly in the news, but I just watched a video that said that people have found that arapaimas give their young with a sort of milk. It comes out of holes in their head from both the male and female. It is not a food, and scientist still have no idea what this milk is or does, but it has lots of hormones and chemicals in it. All they have found is that baby arapaimas that are exposed to this get bigger and stronger compared to those that don't. Pretty cool right? 

Edited by FriendlyLoach

• 2 weeks later...

Checking out this week's Science magazine and the cover story is a fish/cyanobacteria/waterweed 'in the news' trifecta.

Cyanobacteria grows on waterweed. Fish eat the waterweed and eagles eat the fish. Eagles have convulsions, become paralyzed and die.

Hunting the eagle killer: A cyanobacterial neurotoxin causes vacuolar myelinopathy

image.png.10bd9fa63e2a90e6a7a79a6cd9a684b9.png

The waterweed in the accompanying photographs looked just like Anacharis/Elodea to me so I had to look up a key to sort out what was what:

image.png.31c022f3bb8b6f9829d834c15fe1f265.png

• Like 6

Great timing my finding this as I’m battling Cyanobacteria in my betta tank 😂. (I advise against using a plant grow light as an aquarium light. You will acquire many uninvited guests)

edit: now I’m peaking under the towel covering my blacked-out tank staring at my large cluster of big-box store elodea trying to confirm that it is in fact elodea 😂

Edited by skipper
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m surprised I’m the first person to post this but I guess none of us watch the oscars religiously. 😁

https://apnews.com/article/oscars-2021-best-documentary-my-octopus-teacher-e2abcf3264341f935b4c0458dbc76a0c

My Octopus Teacher won Best Documentary.

I highly, highly recommend it. It won’t be as surprising to us fish keepers as it probably is to the general population, but it’s sooo beautiful and peaceful and moving.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Hobbit said:

I’m surprised I’m the first person to post this but I guess none of us watch the oscars religiously. 😁

https://apnews.com/article/oscars-2021-best-documentary-my-octopus-teacher-e2abcf3264341f935b4c0458dbc76a0c

My Octopus Teacher won Best Documentary.

I highly, highly recommend it. It won’t be as surprising to us fish keepers as it probably is to the general population, but it’s sooo beautiful and peaceful and moving.

I too have seen this documentary on Netflix.  It is more than a nature documentary, it is a story about a broken man being healed by rediscovering his connection with nature. #enjoynaturedaily 🐙

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...