Fish in the News!

pedrofisk

• 3 weeks later...

A Cuttlefish “marshmallow” test with shrimp!

But in this case, choosing less shrimp at first didn’t actually get them more shrimp later. Apparently they enjoy getting the tiny shrimp reward, even if the total shrimp haul is smaller? It’s confusing but super interesting.

30TB-CUTTLEFISH-videoSixteenByNine3000.j
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

It turns out that camouflage isn’t the only talent these cephalopods have.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

FISH FIGHTING?!?! 

Oh yes, it was why bettas were developed as a 'fighting fish'. My understanding was back the day houses, wives and children could change hands based on the outcome of a Siamese fighting fish fight.

Also you might enjoy this:

• Like 2

Ahh great clip. 😆 Poor fish though. ☹️

I knew that this was where bettas got their name and that this used to be a big thing. I just didn’t realize it was still a big enough thing in some places that a government pamphlet would need to mention them on their list of COVID closures. 

And I just noticed cockfighting venues get their own line separate from the fish and bull fighting. Wow. Sigh.

• Like 1

In some of the discord groups I am in, there are quite a few folks from south east Asian countries where betta fighting is in fact still common place and considered very normal. It is indeed a cultural difference. The folks I speak to who breed and train fighting fish also tell me that the fish are very rarely ever killed, that the fight is called when a betta shows 'weakness' ie it turns away from the other betta, or it doesn't respond to a flare with a flare or an attack of its own. So many fights are declared and ended as soon as one betta decides nope, its outmatched.

I don't agree nor disagree with the 'sport.' I merely accept this is a cultural difference. But having seen pictures and videos of such venues, I can see the concern about spreading covid when you usually have four to thirty people crowded shoulder to shoulder around a table with a bowl on it to watch bettas fight. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Something seems off about this thread being able to be searched for. I'm not sure if we ever changed the name or what. I'm adding the name of the thread in this post so it'll hopefully show up in search.

Fish in the news

Hi @Cory, could the search issue be caused by the exclamation point in the title? Having spent years as a paralegal, including working the business side of case management applications development, it always seems like special characters cause issues with search features. Just a thought!

Nope, that is not the issue. I just searched for another title "Wish me luck!" and the result appeared. 

Edited by Maggie
Update

15 hours ago, Cory said:

Something seems off about this thread being able to be searched for. I'm not sure if we ever changed the name or what. I'm adding the name of the thread in this post so it'll hopefully show up in search.

Fish in the news

Type 'fish' or 'fish in' and it is at or near the top. Type in 'fish in the' and it disappears from the list, but at least a few items remain on the list of search results. Type 'fish in the news' and the search returns no results at all.

Run an experiment yourself by typing in word by word slowly 'honey I dirted the tank'. Fascinating.

• Administrators

The problem we currently have is that our search features are set to search the title and the body of posts. Fish in The News is very generic.

Fish in The, it gonna be in hundreds of posts around the forum. Once you put in news, it comes back  up to the top as those 4 words are unique to this post. We could limit it to titles only but then the search feature becomes much less accurate for lots of other searches. So for now, we'd need to rename the thread something less common, or just know you search for it by name.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Will Billy said:

@CT_ WOW! I can hardly believe my eyes. First off what great and caring pet owners. Second who thought of a goldfish life jacket! That is... I mean... WOW! I cant even begin to describe that whole situation, but WOW! Did i say WOW! Thought id seen everything. 

yeah this blew my mind.  I just now did some seaching on youtube and its apparently a thing others have done too.  who knew!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.sciencealert.com/cuttlefish-can-pass-a-cognitive-test-designed-for-children

A Cephalopod Has Passed a Cognitive Test Designed For Human Children

3 MARCH 2021

A new test of cephalopod smarts has reinforced how important it is for us humans to not underestimate animal intelligence.

Cuttlefish have been put to a new version of the marshmallow test, and the results appear to demonstrate that there's more going on in their strange little brains than we knew.

Edited by pedrofisk
  • Like 1