Fish in the News!

pedrofisk

I thought it would be fun to have an ongoing thread on Fish/Aquarium related news members may come across, old or new. I'll get the ball rolling.

enp0nk-1.jpg
WWW.NEWSCIENTIST.COM

The pet trade often harms wildlife but some dedicated amateur fish-keepers are working to keep many species of fish from extinction
voltai-thumb-l.png
WWW.THE-SCIENTIST.COM

The same study also finds there are three species of Electrophorus, rather than one.
airstone-xs-8644276-bbwnJSv.jpg
WWW.RATEMYFISHTANK.COM

Modern advances in technology affect every industry - even the aquarium hobby. Read on to learn about the top tech for aquariums in 2019.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Japan’s King of Carp Breeds Mega Expensive Koi Fish

Video Link: https://www.greatbigstory.com/stories/the-king-of-koi-fish

"Kentaro Sakai is a champion breeder of nishikigoi carp aka koi fish. Just last year, one sold at an auction for an astounding amount of money— nearly $2 million USD. Sakai’s carp are prized by wealthy collectors for their vivid colors, distinct patterns and glossy skin. Sakai invites us to his fish farm in Hiroshima, Japan, to see how he raises these fish, who lead pretty pampered lives in his care."

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, RovingGinger said:

https://www.kare11.com/article/sports/outdoors/catch-of-the-day-surprises-maple-grove-kids/89-fac37da5-9778-4f0a-bf74-d90b588abd93 I woulda kept it. Older article, but cautionary... if they can live through our winter they can live anywhere.

My goldfish also reproduced twice this summer in a 40 gallon outdoor tub and a dozen fry survived. They are a very hearty fish if given enough space and water.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/21/2020 at 7:14 PM, ChefConfit said:
bruce-smith-dead-koi-1.jpg?quality=90&st
NYPOST.COM

He didn’t sleep because of the fishes. A Long Island man claims something was fishy with dozens of koi he...

Doesn't have many details but... Really? 

I saw this. I can understand spending that kind of money on Koi but if you're going to why would you buy them from Petsmart?! Worse why would Petsmart let him spend that kind of money with them when they know it'll be a disaster? Maybe he has a case.

• 2 weeks later...
f_aud_lobby-day_washington_photo-luke-fr
WWW.AUDUBON.ORG

New research shows that fish eggs don't just survive the journey through a mallard's digestive system intact, but...

“In two experiments, his team fed 500 fertilized eggs of common and Prussian carp to each of eight Mallards housed in captivity. The researchers chose these Eurasian fish species because they’ve been introduced to many parts of the world in the last few decades. Using a plastic tray placed under the ducks’ cage, the team collected bird droppings seven times within a day of feeding the birds to retrieve intact eggs. Turns out, six ducks pooped out 18 intact fish eggs, and 12 of those recovered eggs housed live embryos. (The embryos within the remaining six eggs died as they passed through the Mallards’ gut.) 

b.jpg
Hatching tube containing Common carp eggs. Photo: Balázs Lukács

Next, the researchers placed the live eggs in aquaria filled with river water to see if they were viable. They found that three of the 12 eggs—one common carp and two Prussian carp eggs—hatched within three days of incubation.“

🤯

• Like 6

2 hours ago, pedrofisk said:

Scientists have discovered what they say is the oldest tropical reef fish recorded anywhere in the world -- an 81-year-old midnight snapper caught...

I don't know why I think this is funny...but they discovered it was the oldest known tropical reef fish after they had killed it. It reminds me of the graduate student from here at the University of North Carolina who cut down an ancient bristlecone pine named Prometheus only to discover it was 4850 years old, the oldest known tree ever.

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I don't know why I think this is funny...but they discovered it was the oldest known tropical reef fish after they had killed it. It reminds me of the graduate student from here at the University of North Carolina who cut down an ancient bristlecone pine named Prometheus only to discover it was 4850 years old, the oldest known tree ever.

I heard that Prometheus story and that person even had permission.

Saw this gem, thought I would share.

201208145556-nine-pound-goldfish-trnd-su
AMP.CNN.COM

Parks and recreation workers in South Carolina made an extraordinary discovery during a routine water quality test at a small lake.

A related report:

newFile.jpg?width=1200
WWW.STANDARD.CO.UK

The average weight for a pet goldfish is between 2lb and 6lb

Oak Grove Lake appears to have excellent water quality.

• Like 1