What cool things are happening in your tanks?

FriendlyLoach

Collected my first batch of CPD eggs this morning and saw them heading back in to make some more. Keep spotting baby cherry shrimp in my 20 gallon, I like that they're zero effort breeders. My pseudomugil furcatus have also been producing eggs on their own. Gonna let them try unattended since that tank is already as full as I'd like it. I can see why so many people get into breeding fish!

Edited by Schwack
  • Like 1

My male honey gourami is in between bubble nests, which means he and his mate spend all day hanging out and flirting. It’s too stinkin cute.

Also my infusoria culture is less stinky today, which probably means the larger microbes are starting to get ahead of the bacteria! 😀

• Like 4

I dropped a mop in my crowded community tank to see what I'd get and I pulled out 8 eggs after a few of days, more than one type, we'll see what I get if I can get them to hatch.

Also have these Forktail Rainbows battling it out for the females. All other fish seem oblivious.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, H.K.Luterman said:

In my efforts to produce ramshorn snails with perfect shells (0 erosion), I'm starting to see some really good looking ones in my snail tank. 

@H.K.Luterman I'd love to know what you're doing to get those good looking shells. I'm doing the Tums right now and I can definitely see a difference in some of them.

Edited by Alesha

Just now, Alesha said:

I'd love to know what you're doing to get those good looking shells. I'm doing the Tums right now and I can definitely see a difference in some of them.

Honestly, so far, just more water changes. The nitrates have never shown that I NEEDED to, but I'm guessing the plants in the tank were eating up all the minerals, as I was seeing heavy erosion. Now that I'm doing water changes every 7 days like clockwork, im seeing these really nice, smooth shells. I think my next step will be to get some crushed coral. I do want to breed mystery snails so I think it's a good idea to figure it out on my ramshorns first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H.K.Luterman said:

Honestly, so far, just more water changes. The nitrates have never shown that I NEEDED to, but I'm guessing the plants in the tank were eating up all the minerals, as I was seeing heavy erosion. Now that I'm doing water changes every 7 days like clockwork, im seeing these really nice, smooth shells. I think my next step will be to get some crushed coral. I do want to breed mystery snails so I think it's a good idea to figure it out on my ramshorns first.

What colors do you have in Ramshorn?  I got some in some plants 2 months ago and have nice colors.

Do you use any crushed coral in your tanks? Thats what I use and their shells are perfect.

20210101_213824.jpg

20201220_210855.jpg

20201231_220920.jpg

20201231_220736.jpg

• Like 2

I have mayfly larva and dragonfly larva in a couple of my aquariums.

In the video above you can see the mayfly larva fanning its biological gills. These gills are an organ that allow the dissolved oxygen from the water to pass (by diffusion) into the mayfly larva's body and are an outgrowth of its tracheal system.  They are covered by a thin layer of cuticle that is permeable to both oxygen and carbon dioxide. These fanning movements of the gills keep them in contact with a constant supply of fresh water. 

Dragonfly larva like the one in the video below differ from other aquatic insects by having internal gills associated with the rectum. As @Alesha says "Gross!" In the video below you can see the dragonfly larva contracting its abdomen in order to circulate water in and out of its anus. This rectal gill mechanism doubles as a jet propulsion system which is why they can move so fast sometimes when you try and catch them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I think when discus fry first become free swimming and begin to feed off the parents that, that is pretty cool.

image.png.8e27736255d972604efe6259b2c2b0e7.png

There are approximately a couple of dozen fry here that should be free swimming in the next day or two. Because this is a community aquarium, I expect them to get picked off pretty rapidly, but you never know. I hope there will be at least a little time were I can watch them feeding off the slime from their parent's bodies.

• Like 3

My school of 100+ baby Super Red Bristlenose Plecos are now between three-quarters and seven-eights of an inch long and eating like crazy. My plant order from the first is due to arrive today after being delayed a few days. We'll have to see how they've handled the cold as a 72 hour heat pack is likely a dud by now. It'll be about 117 hours since they were packed at one o'clock on the first, so we blew past the 72 hour mark a while back. (Mail typically arrives here around 11 am.) It's not horribly cold here now (39-ish degrees) so I expect they'll be okay. I'll take their temp when they arrive. Anything above 50 degrees and they should be okay. Below that, things start to get a bit iffier. Plants are generally pretty tough though and I'll bring them in as soon as they arrive. I'll have to see what happens with them.   

• Like 2

The plants arrived an hour earlier than anticipated which is good. By and large they look pretty good. I was a little surprised to find no heat pack or insulation on an order shipped to NJ in January. That's a bit risky. The plants were between 58 degrees and 60 degrees though upon opening the box, so that was good. I'd prefer them at seventy, but anything above fifty is usually survivable. The dwarf Sagittaria and Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus looked the best of the group. The only plant I'm somewhat worried about is the Cryptocoryne Tropica. That came through the worst, but it should be okay. Assuming the plants didn't get colder at any time than they were when I got them, things should be okay. I would have really preferred there to be a heat pack or insulation of some sort though. It's about 39 degrees as I type this and if I hadn't grabbed them immediately they would have gotten pretty chilled in a box without a heat source or insulation. They'd been packed for about 117 hours (one o'clock Friday to ten AM Wednesday)  so all things considered they came through okay. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SpicyFin said:

What colors do you have in Ramshorn?  I got some in some plants 2 months ago and have nice colors.

Do you use any crushed coral in your tanks? Thats what I use and their shells are perfect.

I have pinks! Oh man, yeah yours look amazing. I don't have crushed coral in there yet but I think I definitely will order some now. 

Edit: Oh! Also, how much did you add per 10 gallons? 1 pound?

Edited by H.K.Luterman
  • Like 1