What did you get done today?

Cory

On 2/14/2024 at 6:00 AM, EggShappedFish said:

Today I moved 2 fish from the treatment tank back into the main tank that I have re-established by removing everything. I have been treating flukes for the past month 

It is not yet cycled but I have moved a cycled filter over so it should be OK. Also there is a lot of water (720 lit / 190gal) so it will help the filters start up faster. 

This is Sally and Clementine. They are both ranchu goldfish but nothing fancy. Just LFS quality. 

I expect I'll move a few more over next week. In total I have 12 fish that need to move in. I might keep 2 of them in the treatment tank as they have swim bladder issues (presumably due to genetics) 

IMG_20240214_114537.jpg.a60db58d880624eb10020d11d635f90d.jpg

I love the look of goldfish, just don’t want a big tank for goldfish!!🤣@EggShappedFish

• Like 1

IMG_7437.jpeg.f3eebaf5cecaa71fd5a32edc2e52e90b.jpeg
Inched closer to making a bowl large enough for a small group of Medaka.

this large bowl started as 25 lbs of wet clay on the wheel - whittled down to about half that. estimate 3 gallon volume. 
i really want to get to a 5 gallon volume before i think about these bowls for anything but fry.

IMG_4981.jpeg.5200535ae3df50a8cf57be32158c90db.jpegcontinued research a round Medaka in general and what’s out there and how to prepare.

IMG_7432.jpeg.776885c7a1728b0289161d07fed7d9ad.jpegand caught Harriet cozied in between freshly pruned lettuce leaves and Val.

IMG_7391.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

A group of 8 of these arrived yesterday out of thin air - just showed up - sort of makes me think of flying fishes - maybe a bird dropped them; unfortunately the other 7 said this one wasn't allowed to join them:

new.jpg.c289598d91c31b50292c05001b4531f0.jpg

• Like 3

Today I tried making gel food for the first time! I have previously made DIY food, using steamed eggs, but this time I went a bit deeper into this and made a proper batch. 

I have used:

• shrimp
  • cod
  • peas
  • squash
  • carrot
  • spirulina
  • kelp
  • agar

Ingredients (squash, carrot, shrimp, cod, peas, kelp, spirulina and agar for gelling)

I don't have a food processor, so I just used a smoothie blender. I did have to blend the ingredients in two batches though, and mix them together after blending

1.jpg.655a3224c3629055c71783d258b82d32.jpg 3.jpg.a79aba01f225f6da927c528e78fc70b8.jpg

This is the raw food blend that I then mixed some diluted agar powder into it and let it cool a little bit before bagging

4.jpg.a87f2527b6e18492b180ffbd4b2333cd.jpg

This first try gave me two bags of approximately 450gr. each (16oz each). They are currently cooling and when they have settled, I should be able to freeze them and feed chunks of it to my fish without them breaking up when they enter water. Once I've tested these, and confirmed that it works, I'd be glad to share a recipe and instructions!

6.jpg.19d40fbca1f3649e86833a5581e601d2.jpg

• Like 7

I was setting up a new 55 gallon tank with two sponge filters with the Easy Flow kits and I almost made a real disaster!

The water had a ton of dissolved gasses in it and the glass and sponges were covered in bubbles. The sponges ended up floating up and bobbing around in the water with the Easy Flows swinging around and sometimes over the edge of the tank, shooting water out!

Glad I caught that before too much of a mess was made.

Turned off the air pump and let the bubbles dissipate, then squeezed the air out of the sponges for good measure before turning the pump back on. Good to go now. 

• Like 2

So yesterday was a pia. In my blackwater aquarium there is an 18x48 inch land mass behind the aquarium where i grow plants emersed. Well.... the plat-form was built out of plywood and while we felt it wouldn't last long - we did expect it to last longer than 4 months but it didn't. So we had a new one built. this one is made out of milk crate - yea lets see the water dissolve the milk crates in 4 months. The top is actually this other stuff i can't spell which is sort of like ply wood but is used in constructions outside. As part of the project we also added some of this plastic poster board along the glass so it wouldn't be visible any longer from the front. So the first picture is from the front where the fishes are - see how many you can find - this is nominally 30x48 (inch) (all the roots you see are from the floating plants you will see in the third pictures):

bb3.jpg.30c4f8b63f04ff0f627adb5461eb6495.jpg

This from the back but with the black poster board you can't see much past the milk crate (the plug you see down there is actually the back wall of the room reflecting off the glass - lovely optical illusion)

bb1.jpg.07295d0157f901979caf48bb8c53dd8a.jpg

And this is from the top where you see all the floating plants and hte emersed aquatic plants:

bb2.jpg.24b0c92122810263297ef74b54fb5c2a.jpg

• Like 4

My wife broke my glass lid today.  I was siphoning glass out and picked up the pleco cave to get under it.  Apparently this guys date with the female in the tank a couple of days ago went well.  Just laid them on the bottom instead of the top.  😄  Or at least I thought they're supposed to lay them on the top.  Maybe I'm the wrong one.  

20240224_195223.jpg

• Like 3

RIP my quarantine tank! 🪦

Yesterday it started leaking quite heavily. I was able to empty it within 30 minutes but there was a lot of water on the floor nonetheless.

I assume it is the silicone seams that were bad. I had bought it used by a guy who had resealed it. It has worked well until yesterday. I don't thinknits worth the trouble and risk of sealing it once more 

It is (was) a 530 lit (140 gal) that i used as a backup and quarantine tank.

IMG_20240228_084229.jpg.ff403c266573ca6280bdf4913ffba73f.jpg

• Sad 3

On 2/28/2024 at 3:37 AM, EggShappedFish said:

RIP my quarantine tank! 🪦

Yesterday it started leaking quite heavily. I was able to empty it within 30 minutes but there was a lot of water on the floor nonetheless.

I assume it is the silicone seams that were bad. I had bought it used by a guy who had resealed it. It has worked well until yesterday. I don't thinknits worth the trouble and risk of sealing it once more 

It is (was) a 530 lit (140 gal) that i used as a backup and quarantine tank.

IMG_20240228_084229.jpg.ff403c266573ca6280bdf4913ffba73f.jpg

Don't know if this is true but i've been told black silicon will last longer than clear.... and several custom aquarium companies refused to use clear for that reason - unfortunatley i don't know the specific item #.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2024 at 8:32 PM, anewbie said:

Don't know if this is true but i've been told black silicon will last longer than clear.... and several custom aquarium companies refused to use clear for that reason - unfortunatley i don't know the specific item #.

Thanks!

Although this may be true, I don't think it's the case with this tank. The guy I bought it from has simply done a bad job resealing it. It was very cheap so I can't really complain, aside for the mess it ceased

• Like 1

Today I used a large plastic bottle with the neck cutoff, then inverted and stapled back into place, to make a shrimp trap for the Bloody Mary shrimp in my 60 gallon office tank.

In total I trapped 296 shrimp, of which 17 were culled. I bagged 50 to bring home for my new 55 gallon tank, and the remaining 229 were returned to the tank.

I certainly did not trap all the shrimp in the tank, particularly the mothers with eggs and the smallest juveniles seemed less adventurous and eager to enter the trap. In fact I did not trap a single berried female though I spotted quite a few in the tank.

On the other hand, I did manage to cull the shrimp I had specifically noticed in the tank and wanted removed. Of the 17 culls 1 would have passed for a Blue Dream, 2 could nearly have though they had a few red spots, 4 were a very dark, nearly black blue, 3 were an equally dark red, 2 were outright dark chocolate, and the remaining 5 were red but with very little color. 

Overall I was pleased with the results which seemed to justify my estimates of 500+ shrimp in the tank, as well as the overall quality of the Bloody Mary line, with 5.7% of the shrimp culled. This being my first culling I have no real baseline, but would be interested to know what other people with experience have seen. 

• Like 4

I FINALLY ordered all my equipment for the 75g I bought back in Sept/Oct. Thought I was gonna have to buy it 1 piece at a time but.. YAY for workplace bonuses! So everything will be arriving this week from Amazon and ACO!! Woot!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 3/3/2024 at 7:17 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

Today I did a water change on my 10g and cleaned up a bunch of algae. Yep that’s it, real exciting.😂

Yeah, same here, did a water change on my 10g and cleaned up a bunch of algae. Yep same here, super cool right? 😅. Water changes for my 10g take about 40 mins becuase I use a 5g bucket and get 2g of water in there, dechloranate it and use a funnel and put into 2 jugs and add after taking out. Very exciting lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I moved my newest female guppies into their new tank. It's a very simple set up and there are only two female guppies that are big enough to go into this set up, but everyone is finally done with quarantine so I'm enjoying the tank.

This is my first group of guppies since I lost all of my others, so I'm excited to start again and hopefully do better this time.

FemaleBlueElephantEaredGuppyAdult.jpg.b2eb5eab6ef8e37e272523183b458e5f.jpg

Edited by jaydawnsin
  • Like 4
  • Love 1