What's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

pedrofisk

On 8/12/2021 at 10:35 AM, Patrick_G said:

Here’s a scope from Amazon

DEPSTECH Dual Lens Industrial Endoscope, 1080P Digital Borescope Inspection Camera with 7.9mm IP67 Waterproof Camera, Sewer Camera with 4.3" LCD Screen, 7 LED Lights,16.5FT Semi-Rigid Cable, 32GB Card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0928Q3T42/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_S22SQ7G8Z3FDXGVKM7HP

BE561746-9AF9-4C31-B83D-6BC071C73529.jpeg

It looks like Depstech has made some serious improvements to their product line since I got mine.  I've found having a separate viewer independent from the camera makes the Wifi models easier to use from a comfort standpoint.. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I like making things. Weather it is from PVC pipe(Ah hem @Dean’s Fishroom), 3D printed, or other scrap materials, I am always coming up with new Ideas to try. This thread has given me so many ideas that I hope to turn into products soon.

I have always wanted to have a fish feeder that can feed Tablets, and the Aqua-Mate F14 has come closest to that. It feeds slowly though, and I want it to release all at once. Here is an Idea, but I want to improve it a ton. When I do get around to it, I will keep you posted.

If anyone is great at coding/product design, let me know. It would be really cool to work with you.

One of my recent projects has been making a internal filter out of PVC pipes. I hope @Cory sees this and shows it to Dean. I have since added suction cups to the filter. It is 3” PVC, with a cheap 80 GPH pump. My idea is to take a pre filter sponge and put some carbon/matrix in it for a cheap cartridge.

I will answer any questions, and intend to create build instructions soon. I will put the link here. 

NOTE: the discolored PVC is from sanding. It is clean.

3E924CD2-63F3-4305-8836-CB5EBD1B244D.jpeg

5B800E03-EC10-4DD2-AF51-B8999D26A3B4.jpeg

FDF12124-2A09-45E9-8449-2B096C2A8ECB.jpeg

Edited by Guppy Guy
Tagged dean. Thank you KentFishFanUK for the tag name
  • Like 2

On 8/22/2021 at 9:56 PM, Guppy Guy said:

So I like making things. Weather it is from PVC pipe(Ah hem Dean), 3D printed, or other scrap materials, I am always coming up with new Ideas to try. This thread has given me so many ideas that I hope to turn into products soon.

I have always wanted to have a fish feeder that can feed Tablets, and the Aqua-Mate F14 has come closest to that. It feeds slowly though, and I want it to release all at once. Here is an Idea, but I want to improve it a ton. When I do get around to it, I will keep you posted.

If anyone is great at coding/product design, let me know. It would be really cool to work with you.

One of my recent projects has been making a internal filter out of PVC pipes. I hope @Cory sees this and shows it to Dean. I have since added suction cups to the filter. It is 3” PVC, with a cheap 80 GPH pump. My idea is to take a pre filter sponge and put some carbon/matrix in it for a cheap cartridge.

I will answer any questions, and intend to create build instructions soon. I will put the link here. 

NOTE: the discolored PVC is from sanding. It is clean.

3E924CD2-63F3-4305-8836-CB5EBD1B244D.jpeg

5B800E03-EC10-4DD2-AF51-B8999D26A3B4.jpeg

FDF12124-2A09-45E9-8449-2B096C2A8ECB.jpeg

@Dean’s Fishroom

• Thanks 1

I plan to put aquaculture on the blockchain eventually, but I have to find the right blockchain company to work with on it, had feelers from a few.  This would do many things, including the AI monitoring Diego mentioned.  My goal with it would be to help offer dominion to nature in a way similar to wolves.

As for dream products, all I want is an FDA approved water conditioner that does everything it advertises without the use of creative language, lists all of its ingredients, including the proprietary blend which is likely just sodium thiosulfate and hydroxyethyl cellulose.

It is clear to me no company is going to do that, so I figured out what they were using and now I'm toying with the ratios until I get it right, and then I am going to release the information so everyone can make their own, and in turn, the costs of those products will go down - we shouldn't have to pay bunches of money for something that simple and diluted.

I'm big on freedom of information.. we live in a world where people struggle for real education.  These are simple chemicals that have been used for decades.

Best,

-Thomas Wolf

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2021 at 7:39 AM, Nooby said:

I am a simple guy , I just want a quiet air pump 🤣🤣

This one is pretty close:  https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/air-accessories/products/usb-nano-air-pump.

I take a plant weight, bend it into an S-shaped hook, and use it to hang those on the back of the tanks.  That way they're out of sight, and high enough there's no need for a check valve.

Edited by JettsPapa
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2021 at 8:39 AM, Nooby said:

The aqueon quiet-flow pumps are near silent. I have one rated for 40 gallons under my 30 gallon, and it has a ton of load, up the height of the stand and tank, then back into the tank. It is the best one by far that I have used.

For fishrooms, the Aquarium coop linear piston air pump works great and is quiet from what I’ve heard. Cory used 2 smaller ones in one of the urban fish farm build videos. If you do get one, go with the smaller one as the bigger one is noisier and has too much pressure for most fishrooms. The nice thing about linear piston air pumps is the fact that you can connect more than 1 in series and not worry about burning out like the diaphragm pumps. 

• Thanks 2

On 8/26/2021 at 10:38 AM, Nooby said:

Why can’t someone do something with magnets to have a truly silent air pump?

Funny enough, the new diaphragm pumps use a DC electromagnet on ac power to move it back and forth really fast.(I opened one up to see what was making it so loud 😆)

The magnet is silent, its the diaphragm that makes all the noise.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/26/2021 at 4:41 AM, Thomas Wolf said:

I plan to put aquaculture on the blockchain eventually, but I have to find the right blockchain company to work with on it, had feelers from a few.  This would do many things, including the AI monitoring Diego mentioned.  My goal with it would be to help offer dominion to nature in a way similar to wolves.

Blockchain would be cool for tracking N-class endlers in a public way.  I'm curious though, how does it do AI?

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 12:57 PM, CT_ said:

Blockchain would be cool for tracking N-class endlers in a public way.  I'm curious though, how does it do AI?

That depends entirely on the blockchain, some integrate AI (like the one I am currently writing for) and others do not.

The AI can be programmed to do just about anything you can think of.  For me, I was most interested in population diversity and health, but technically it could be programmed to check on everything at all times; not just occasionally.  You would have complete analytics, at all times, for everything you were testing for - permitted that the testing devices could handle that.

Blockchain is amazing...and I make a good living writing for emerging companies worth billions and they even support my fish hobby!

Agroecology would be focused on distribution of food to the places that need it most, or even distribution.  Certain DeFi (decentralized finance) projects are getting more involved with less developed countries to help them restructure things of this nature, all the way to voting systems that cannot be tampered with within the US gov.  I originally thought this line of thinking was awesome back when Jacque Fresco w/ The Venus Project was still alive and explained we have the resources to give people in the desert an equal amount of fresh fruit/produce to the areas of which it grows indigenously.

Even religious, cultural and lingual barriers can be broken.  It's part of my life's work.

Best,

-Thomas Wolf

Maybe it already exists (please tell me where I can find it if it does). When I do water changes on my preliminary tiny aquarium, I use the "old" method; I start the procedure by sucking the hose and let the water flow into a bucket. My problem is that my fish see my hand as "Jippie! Here comes the food hand!" And like retriever puppies they have no self-preservation what so ever. I try to scare them off but they keep getting too close the suction and end up the bucket and I have to catch them to return them into the aquarium.

I bought a Python system but how on earth could I use it without condemning some fish to being flushed down the drain. It's ok for now carrying buckets but when I get my 120 Gallons that's not an option. Is there a solution to that already - otherwise that's a product I'd need.

On 8/27/2021 at 11:03 AM, Vanessa K said:

Maybe it already exists (please tell me where I can find it if it does). When I do water changes on my preliminary tiny aquarium, I use the "old" method; I start the procedure by sucking the hose and let the water flow into a bucket. My problem is that my fish see my hand as "Jippie! Here comes the food hand!" And like retriever puppies they have no self-preservation what so ever. I try to scare them off but they keep getting too close the suction and end up the bucket and I have to catch them to return them into the aquarium.

I bought a Python system but how on earth could I use it without condemning some fish to being flushed down the drain. It's ok for now carrying buckets but when I get my 120 Gallons that's not an option. Is there a solution to that already - otherwise that's a product I'd need.

Many of the newer siphon hoses have a strainer where the wide tube connects to the flexible tube.

I also have used a spare HOB filter strainer on the end of a hose to prevent fish from getting picked up.

On 8/26/2021 at 2:39 PM, Nooby said:

I've placed my Eheim  Air Pump 400  in a drawer (and yes, I check that the pump doesn't get too hot). And yes, I have to leave space for the air hose through not closing the drawer entirely. It works.

On 8/27/2021 at 2:03 PM, Vanessa K said:

A nylon stocking over the intake and a rubber band should work if you just syphoning water.  I use this method for recovering tiny parts with the vacuum cleaner.  Or a fish net if you are cleaning gravel.

If you are handy, you may be able to adapt a bathroom or kitchen drain screen. https://www.amazon.com/Bathroom-Lavatory-Strainer-Stainless-88820/dp/B000DZD1AS/ref=asc_df_B000DZD1AS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167139073643&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17851501721224558656&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015703&hvtargid=pla-303389953324&psc=1

On 8/30/2021 at 2:27 AM, Nooby said:

@Patrick_G I could buy a 55 gallon with that money lol

On 8/29/2021 at 7:53 PM, Patrick_G said:

You’re in luck! It exists. 

CC36FF11-4CEB-47A3-B13B-A578A48D852A.png

Are you kidding? 😂 😆 I could set up a whole fishroom with that kind of money!

Also, have you considered getting a cheap rc submarine  and cutting a hole for a gopro or something? 

Or for something absolutely ridiculous, you could silicone(so you can peel it off) a mini camera to a snail and time lapse that 😂 

look at this snail cam video from shutterstock.

• Like 2

Thought of a couple products I'd like to see, though not exciting enough to call them 'dream' products. One is a modular tank cover set - just lots of small cheap plastic hexagons that can clip together in any shape or size to create a cover for any tank, leaving space for pipework or whatever is required and get reused as necessary. The other is something thin and flexible that would hold its shape (like tin foil) that would be aquarium and fish safe that I could use to cover areas inside a tank afflicted by blue green algae - like a targeted black out

• Like 5

On 9/1/2021 at 1:32 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

The other is something thin and flexible that would hold its shape (like tin foil) that would be aquarium and fish safe that I could use to cover areas inside a tank afflicted by blue green algae - like a targeted black out

I love the idea of a targeted black out. I've been using floaters to get something like that, but something to put directly over plants or hardscape would be incredible!

• Like 1

Ok I have an idea for a new style of filter which is probably dumb but hear me out:

A flexible silicone tube/hose filled the entire length with coarse sponge that attaches to a small inline power head.. and that's basically it! 

The tube itself is the filter housing and can be put anywhere using suction cups or clips - could be internal, external, hidden around the inside of the lid, under substrate, coiled up in the corner of the tank or behind it wherever! Weather too hot? Just run the tubing outside of the tank through a bowl of ice water. As long as the output is pointed inside the tank and the input is somewhere in the tank water the rest can be anywhere. Want to change water with it? Just point the output at your bucket to drain water and move the input end into the bucket of clean water to refill. When it gets gunked up can just squeeze it out (think getting the last of the toothpaste out the tube) and rinse it through with a bit of clean dechlorinated water. If more filtration is needed then just increase tube length and power head size. 

Should be simple, cheap, flexible (both literally and figuratively) easy to use and maintain, discrete etc.

Could it work? Or is there some physics reason that my brain is too small to realise would make it impossible 😅

On 9/4/2021 at 7:03 PM, KentFishFanUK said:

Ok I have an idea for a new style of filter which is probably dumb but hear me out:

A flexible silicone tube/hose filled the entire length with coarse sponge that attaches to a small inline power head.. and that's basically it! 

The tube itself is the filter housing and can be put anywhere using suction cups or clips - could be internal, external, hidden around the inside of the lid, under substrate, coiled up in the corner of the tank or behind it wherever! Weather too hot? Just run the tubing outside of the tank through a bowl of ice water. As long as the output is pointed inside the tank and the input is somewhere in the tank water the rest can be anywhere. Want to change water with it? Just point the output at your bucket to drain water and move the input end into the bucket of clean water to refill. When it gets gunked up can just squeeze it out (think getting the last of the toothpaste out the tube) and rinse it through with a bit of clean dechlorinated water. If more filtration is needed then just increase tube length and power head size. 

Should be simple, cheap, flexible (both literally and figuratively) easy to use and maintain, discrete etc.

Could it work? Or is there some physics reason that my brain is too small to realise would make it impossible 😅

The water cooling part of your idea will definitely work. From the bacterial standpoint it should work.  As a mechanical filter, I think the filter itself will be problematic.  Tubing that is flexible enough to "squeeze" the gunk out may also expand enough to a allow the gunk to bypass the filter as it clogs up.  This brings me to what I think will be your biggest problem. Pump Manufacturers will tell you that you must push water through the system to avoid damaging the pump.  If it can, water taking the path of least resistance will bypass the filter as it accumulates more gunk., The intake side of your tube filter has very little surface area, so it will gunk up first.  To continue pushing water through the filter system will require bigger pumps...  

After having said all of that, If you redesign your filter to resemble a flexible version of the oil filter on your car, you are on to something.  Follow your dream product.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 12:03 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

With the right prefilter to prevent the main part becoming clogged I could see this work but suspect that it could be very high maintenance.