What's your dream aquarium product that doesn’t exist?

pedrofisk

In a perfect world, there would be something that could count the number of fish in your tank-- preferably by species. As someone who worries and in more heavily planted and hide-y holed tanks it'd be nice to know that the shy or more nocturnal fish are all alright orrr if any if there were any surprise casualties or babies! (As a newbie to khuli loaches I just wanna know without spooking them...) 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 12:45 PM, Aquater said:

Is there already a net that holds water with it.  I raise Dwarf Puffers.  I ordered a wet/net from Aquatic arts but its to small.  Anyone have any ideas?  The little guys have to stay submerged all the time.  If it does not exist yet -- any cleaver ideas folks??
Thanks!

You might be able to take like a super fine pantyhose and put that around a net, bc I was trying to use it for something else where I wanted the water to flow thru but I found it didnt really do that great at it, however I'm sure itd serve your purpose great, it just would probably be a little difficult to maneuver around the water to catch the puffers

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 10:45 AM, Aquater said:

Is there already a net that holds water with it.  I raise Dwarf Puffers.  I ordered a wet/net from Aquatic arts but its to small.  Anyone have any ideas?  The little guys have to stay submerged all the time.  If it does not exist yet -- any cleaver ideas folks??
Thanks!

What do you think of this idea? Submerge a quart plastic container (yogurt, soup, etc.) in the tank. Use your net to catch the puffers and lift the net until the rim just breaks the surface. Keep the belly of net and the puffers submerged. Lift the plastic container under, up, and around the belly of the net. Then lift the plastic container holding the water, fish, and net out of the tank. This should keep the puffers submerged. 👍

Here is a second idea that you might need to DIY. How about a smaller version of a koi sock? (see below) The front part of the sock holds water and the back part is netting. For your version, you might want to close the belly of the net so it lets you stick just one arm into the tank. (Which I presume is much smaller than a koi pond. 😉). It seems to me this design is better than the Aquatic Arts version because the netted part allows the water to flow through, reducing drag and turbulence. This streamlining makes the sock easier to maneuver and is less likely to spook fish, which are sensitive to pressure changes caused by turbulence. 😎

71MtvXZ4rjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg   81VUCAyyymL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Anita
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, starsman20 said:

flow valve, and a check valve. It always seems I am short 1 part.

A flow rate adjustment knob would be nice.  It actually takes extra power when you use a valve to lower flow.  I rigged mine with a cheap motor speed controller.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anita said:

What do you think of this idea? Submerge a quart plastic container (yogurt, soup, etc.) in the tank. Use your net to catch the puffers and lift the net until the rim just breaks the surface. Keep the belly of net and the puffers submerged. Lift the plastic container under, up, and around the belly of the net. Then lift the plastic container holding the water, fish, and net out of the tank. This should keep the puffers submerged. 👍

@Aquater Here you go!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 7:55 AM, Celly Rasbora said:

I wish the Aquarium Co-Op sponge filters had a collapsible cup attached to the base to make taking it out of the tank easier. I have a really hard time getting a plastic bag around them with all the plants I have in my tank.

@Celly Rasbora @Mountain Man Aquatics How about this? 😎

P.S. Creative Commons means you can modify, reuse, and share this video with attribution, i.e., please credit your source. Thanks! 👍

• Like 3

A consumer report type rating magazine, or online site for all aquarium products from lights, to CO2 equipment, fish food, filters, water tests, UV sterilizers, substrate... If such a publication would exist and be honest, impartial, and not on the take from manufacturers they would rake in the money from aquarists world wide.

Edited by Jungle Fan
  • Like 3

So me and a buddy were just talking and I came up with what I think is a game changer for the hobby especially if you order fish online. 

Imagine a website similar to all the travel and hotel sites where you can enter the fish your looking for and it pulled up all the stores selling them and the price per fish next to it? 

Like oh you want neon tetras here are 30+ sellers, there location, link to there site, and price of the fish and reviews all on one site god i would love that instead of hoping page to page just to see everyone is out of stock or having to go back and trying to find the one that was .50 cents cheaper per fish or had free shipping ect.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Krakens_tanks said:

So me and a buddy were just talking and I came up with what I think is a game changer for the hobby especially if you order fish online. 

Imagine a website similar to all the travel and hotel sites where you can enter the fish your looking for and it pulled up all the stores selling them and the price per fish next to it? 

Like oh you want neon tetras here are 30+ sellers, there location, link to there site, and price of the fish and reviews all on one site god i would love that instead of hoping page to page just to see everyone is out of stock or having to go back and trying to find the one that was .50 cents cheaper per fish or had free shipping ect.

@Krakens_tanks not exactly like it, a bit more like Aquaria Ebay, but hard to beat for availablity of fish:

https://www.aquabid.com/

I'd like a digital water parameters test. Just drop some ml's of water (+ maybe some 'reagent') in the device and get some numbers out of it. I'm colorblind and it's quite hard to read the color-based results... 😞