On 3/7/2023 at 10:53 PM, Theplatymaster said:

i chose this one because it was being pretty active, there was another i wanted but it wasnt moving so it did not pass my inspection.

He chose you, you didn't chose him then ;D

beware of upside down mystery snail:

2023-03-07-180646.jpg.3e2a82877f9fd1c573145f0c0234f3aa.jpg

also my friend says the platies i gave him are settling in well with his betta, i asked him to send me a picture, but he hasnt responded yet, but ill post the picture when i get it. (it was risky as this betta has only been alone, so we weren't sure of its temperament).

• Like 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea

a small question.

I have 3sinking foods in total that contain either high vegetable matter, or high calclium, thats 3days on my feeding rotation, the rest of the days i just feed foods with things like Krill, and squid, shrimp as the first ingredients. Will just feeding on those 3 days be enough for the snail, and will it be particularly dangerous for it to eat the other foods?( is there such thing as [insert mystery snail wild location here] bloat?)

On 3/7/2023 at 7:43 PM, Theplatymaster said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea

a small question.

I have 3sinking foods in total that contain either high vegetable matter, or high calclium, thats 3days on my feeding rotation, the rest of the days i just feed foods with things like Krill, and squid, shrimp as the first ingredients. Will just feeding on those 3 days be enough for the snail, and will it be particularly dangerous for it to eat the other foods?( is there such thing as [insert mystery snail wild location here] bloat?)

Those foods are fine. They eat more than you think, and overfeeding is not usually a problem, especially with commercial foods. If mine overeat they all climb the glass and go to sleep for awhile.It happens when I put a large piece of Snello in. They are scavengers and can eat a variety of things like fish food, bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 3/7/2023 at 7:46 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Those foods are fine. They eat more than you think, and overfeeding is not usually a problem, especially with commercial foods. If mine overeat they all climb the glass and go to sleep for awhile.It happens when I put a large piece of Snello in.

ill have to feed even more for Batmobile to get some food with how the platies swarm the food, though he (i sexed him) usually gets to the food after the feeding frenzy has died down and the platies have left the food.

long sigh...

this is why i need more repashy, a long water stable food for the snail to eat all day.

My LFS does not carry repashy, and id do a ACO order until i realize how much i actually want from ACO right now (like $90 worth of stuff) and check my budget and i am sad.

@Colui have a question.

I have a platy that has been isolated for suspected culimanris for a few weeks now. (some odd spots on the head), this platy has been in a 2gallon tank for around 2weeks, heavily dosed with salt and the occasional small dose of maracyn. when this fish was moved back in with other fish (i thought it was better) none of the other fish showed this condition. The fish is eating and swimming fine. What is my best course of action with this fish? ive seen this before in my platies and they were perfectly healthy, so i think this one might be the same case?

unrelated, im worried i have acclimated this fish to brackish water, how do i bring it back to fresh water?

Edited by Theplatymaster

On 3/7/2023 at 7:49 PM, Theplatymaster said:

ill have to feed even more for Batmobile to get some food with how the platies swarm the food, though he (i sexed him) usually gets to the food after the feeding frenzy has died down and the platies have left the food.

long sigh...

this is why i need more repashy, a long water stable food for the snail to eat all day.

My LFS does not carry repashy, and id do a ACO order until i realize how much i actually want from ACO right now (like $90 worth of stuff) and check my budget and i am sad.

You can drop food in after dark when the platies are asleep. Snails are active at night and will find it.

On 3/7/2023 at 7:57 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

You can drop food in after dark when the platies are asleep. Snails are active at night and will find it.

that idea makes sense, except that my tank turns off around 1/2hour before i go to sleep. If my ambient room light is on (the tank is in my bedroom) the platies will still find and eat the food, and its hard for me to remember to feed right before bed, especially since the time i go to bed is usually changing depending on how busy i am.

on a side note Algaecide my nerite snail is completely nocturnal

On 3/8/2023 at 12:49 AM, Theplatymaster said:

long sigh...

@Colui have a question.

I have a platy that has been isolated for suspected culimanris for a few weeks now. (some odd spots on the head), this platy has been in a 2gallon tank for around 2weeks, heavily dosed with salt and the occasional small dose of maracyn. when this fish was moved back in with other fish (i thought it was better) none of the other fish showed this condition. The fish is eating and swimming fine. What is my best course of action with this fish? ive seen this before in my platies and they were perfectly healthy, so i think this one might be the same case?

unrelated, im worried i have acclimated this fish to brackish water, how do i bring it back to fresh water?

I would remove it back to quarantine if it's showing symptoms columnaris is a gram negative bacterial you would want to treat with a combination of kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment if it were columnaris I would have expected to have spread to some of your other fish  have you notice white patches on the back of your fish any signs of mouth rot such as white lips any redding to the the spots if can get a picture that would be helpful 

IMG_20230115_235240.jpg

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

@Colu The fish is still currently in Isolation.

The reason i am wondering is that isn't culimanaris usually a fast acting bacteria?

this fish has had it for a week or two now, and is not spreading it at alll, and is behaving healthy.

Ill try to get a picture once the tank lights turn on.

It looks like grey/discolored patches on the top of the platy.

• Like 1

today already ive got

A.Cloudy water (STILL, ive gotten it clear for a few days, but it NEVER stays, and i cant get it back to clear again).

B.A clogged filter (too much filter floss i guess)

C.Corydora breeding (not that its a bad thing but i dont want the eggs right now)

i predict it wont be such a good day.

I think having a snaily friend is helping Algaecide come out of her shell. (actually, Algaecide, please stay in your shell)

i usually never see her at day, she was having out with Batmobile in this picture. ive heard getting a few nerites makes them less shy, i guess the same thing applies with other species of similar sized snails.

2023-03-08-064634.jpg.6b53b3f2d7ccb118a9f61cd3fdd346be.jpg

(its a very similar concept to horses, if they are alone they are very shy and scared, but put them with another horse, a cow, a sheep, just another herd animal, and they will feel much more comfortable).

cories are breeding:

2023-03-08-065218.jpg.ec182d14ae7391b1ce9ac487d0686012.jpg

On 3/7/2023 at 8:01 PM, Theplatymaster said:

Algaecide

Hehe. Cool name.

if you get up during the night to use the restroom put the food in then. Have it ready to go before bed.

@Theplatymaster sanitize your nets and siphons etc if you are dealing with columnaris. It will spread between tanks if equipment is shared.  Based on the patch description, sounds like columnaris to me. Fish will act normal in the initial phases but as time goes on if left untreated columnaris will eat away at the fish. @Colu’s treatment plan works. Do an extra airstone if you can for your patient.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 8:09 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Hehe. Cool name.

if you get up during the night to use the restroom put the food in then. Have it ready to go before bed.

@Theplatymaster sanitize your nets and siphons etc if you are dealing with columnaris. It will spread between tanks if equipment is shared.  Based on the patch description, sounds like columnaris to me. Fish will act normal in the initial phases but as time goes on if left untreated columnaris will eat away at the fish. @Colu’s treatment plan works. Do an extra airstone if you can for your patient.

yes, the only thing i do to this tank is feed it, i use like no equipment on it that is shared with other tanks.

I will need to get these meds.

• Like 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSeawhat i have doesnt really fit your pictures, in my case it is not external, it is just lack of color.

also buying those meds is what $10-$20 for a $4 fish, that i have 40 of. Its not worth it for me.

also it not contagious at all.

with this sick fish are 5-6 juvenile platies that i just havent been removed, for laziness reasons. none of them are showing any symptoms of this.

Edited by Theplatymaster

On 3/8/2023 at 9:10 AM, Theplatymaster said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSeawhat i have doesnt really fit your pictures, in my case it is not external, it is just lack of color.

also buying those meds is what $10-$20 for a $4 fish, that i have 40 of. Its not worth it for me.

Aquarium salt is another treatment option for many illnesses. https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-salt-for-sick-fish

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 9:13 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Aquarium salt is another treatment option for many illnesses. https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-salt-for-sick-fish

hence my comment about the fish being accidently acclimated to brackish water.

Ive added 2tablespoons of salt by @Colu's instructions, i didnt realize that the Easy Brine Shrimp Salt is marine salt and not normal salt. but the NACL should still work to treat disease, right?

On 3/8/2023 at 9:14 AM, Theplatymaster said:

hence my comment about the fish being accidently acclimated to brackish water

My apologies, I had missed that post.

On 3/8/2023 at 9:14 AM, Theplatymaster said:

i didnt realize that the Easy Brine Shrimp Salt is marine salt and not normal salt. but the NACL should still work to treat disease, right?

I only have experience with aquarium salt.

On 3/8/2023 at 9:41 AM, Colu said:

As long as the salt your using is pure sodium chloride your fine  marine salt has different additives that are meant for marine fish I wouldn't use marine salt in a freshwater aquarium @Theplatymaster

the easy brine shrimp salt was what i had on hand, so thats what i used, thank you for informing me, i wont use it anymore.

woo hoo!

im so close to my goal.

My goal is in by the end of march, have a 1k reputation and be a Grand Master rank,

i know the ranks mean nothing, but having both of those will make me feel really good about myself.

and also some pictures:

2023-03-08-183622.jpg.400fc6a3a0a17339119312fc069baba0.jpg

the cories were busy today ( i can see the spots where eggs were eaten)

2023-03-08-183639.jpg.809076cdbeb239759fbffc4ad6c98f3d.jpg2023-03-08-183633.jpg.1dd82d0de6568c4ebe9f895db89d104f.jpg

@Cinnebuns

which one of these pictures has a Dwarf Aquarium Lily flower, one is submerged, the other is out of the water.

@Corydo you know how to propagate this plant from its flower?

or just flower propagation in general?

speaking of flowering plants...

this anubias flower has been closed for around a week now, im waiting for it to open. (which reminds me, i havent dosed easy green yet this week)

2023-03-08-184027.jpg.4ca713d7433ee8aabde306d0252fb8b0.jpg

it frustrates me that i have no HAP program to submit these flowers to.(not that im in my local club anyway)

edit: here is a better picture of the 2nd flower:

2023-03-08-191341.jpg.c2811f6536b752ba73e34562f7853a58.jpg

Edited by Theplatymaster
  • Like 1

Ok, its comfirmed.

Algaecide the nerite snail, and Batmobile the mystery snail have become friends, i mean check out this great picture of them following each other around!

2023-03-08-193339.jpg.3d71924e8af7332c206ce7cae7173b1c.jpg

the top one is Algaecide the nerite, bottom one is Batmobile the mystery.

Also John the betta happened to be in the picture.

also a question to corydora breeders, @nabokovfan87.

I currently have 7 half inch 3week old corydora fry in the breeder box.

are these big and hardy enough to be moved into the main tank, or should i wait?

• Love 1