If you dont know already, myself and @TheSwissAquaristare having a friendly competition on raising Brine Shrimp from babies. We both pretty much know nothing about it, so it will be fun for both of us. (more information on @TheSwissAquarist's journal).

here is my setup:

to start with hatching i have the iconic Ziss BBS hatchery:

zissbbs.jpg.2c615fd49badd3818c47cd20f00c5889.jpg

this is not setup at the moment but will be soon, i am also using the ACO BBS eggs and salt.

here is my raising container:bbssalt.jpg.6d350a0e22c670bc464654565877f563.jpg

this is my raising container. it holds aproxamitley 2gallons(sorry, i messed up my conversions). and has salt added as instructed on the salt. To cycle it i threw in some Stability (does it work in saltwater?), a prefilter sponge, and a few fish food pellets.

and for feeding i took a bunch of foods and mashed them into a powder in this bag:

bbssalt2.jpg.0b21603b8b200cdd8a92bbe0bc2663ec.jpg

i will also be using crushed up xtreme Community Crave

Edited by Theplatymaster
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 11:24 AM, Theplatymaster said:

To cycle it i threw in some Stability (does it work in saltwater?)

I would think so, it says it's for marine and freshwater if my memory of the label isn't mistaken.  

I wish my cories would lay eggs at some point.  All I have are sterbais and they're in a community tank where the eggs probably wouldn't last long, but I think they'd be neat to try to raise.  

On 2/21/2023 at 1:39 PM, jwcarlson said:

I would think so, it says it's for marine and freshwater if my memory of the label isn't mistaken.  

yep i just checked, spot on.

On 2/21/2023 at 1:39 PM, jwcarlson said:

I wish my cories would lay eggs at some point.  All I have are sterbais and they're in a community tank where the eggs probably wouldn't last long, but I think they'd be neat to try to raise.  

yep i just checked, spot on.

i wish i could help with your cories, but mine would choose a trigger, use that for a month, then choose a new trigger, i still dont know what their current trigger is.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 10:39 AM, jwcarlson said:

Kind of a giggle, but not a joke.  Do you have some repashy?  Try feeding it at night a few hours after lights out. Do that for 2-3 nights in a week and they should perk up and be ready to lay.

On 2/21/2023 at 8:16 AM, Theplatymaster said:

Ive noticed something odd with my corydora fry.

I have 6normal sized ones, but 2 of them are runts, and are much smaller (and those two are different sizes aswell.) also the fry are around a week and a half old now, wow they grow fast.

if anyone has any ideas about the runts im all

I can't really see anything in the photo, but I have experienced this as well.  Generally it's likely due to some getting food and others being a bit more timid.  Having cover helps the more reclusive ones.  Ultimately it's a sign of stress of sorts and could indicate some bacterial issues (potentially).

On 2/21/2023 at 5:07 PM, jwcarlson said:

@nabokovfan87 I do not have Rapashy.  I'll have to pick some up.  Any particular suggestion?  I have never had it.

Community blend, something with krill usually. I use soilent green, community blend, bottom scratcher. I honestly think for corydoras you can probably use 9 out of 10 of the flavors and they'd do well.

If they have spawn and grow, go for that.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 8:17 PM, jwcarlson said:

how fo you feed FDTW on the bottom?  I have tried squeezing and getting them to sink that doesn't work.  I need to make some worm sinkers or something.  I have a TON of FDTW. 

do yours come in cubes?

i agree, usually FDTW just floats, but you can stick the cubes to the glass, so i stuck them to the glass at the bottom so the cories could get a bite.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 7:31 PM, Theplatymaster said:

@jwcarlson this might be a crazy idea, but what if you tried something like wetting a small rock, then sticking the worms to the rock, then maybe using some acrylic yarn to lower the rock into the tank? am i just sprouting craziness?

Very Rube Goldberg, I like it!  I'm electrical engineer, maybe I can figure out a way to put a little motor on it too. 🤣

Dean made a little sinking worm feeder cone some time ago, they were going to do a how to on building it, but didn't... I don't think. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 9:29 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Somewhat caught up on the journal. 🙂 I like the “jungle” as you call it at the bottom of the tank. It looks very healthy and happy. & May the best brine shrimper win!

i try my best. my goal with that moss have been to forget about it, and thats what ive done, its growing slowly though;

Oh, science note: I recall Cory mentioning in a video that when Java Moss is healthy the tips will turn bright green, i have recently read a scientific book on moss, and the bright green tips are the reproducing thingies of the moss.