i try not to spam all of you that follow this journal, but something funny came up, so i feel like posting it:

Batmobile got himself and algae wafer. (one of the big hikari ones, though i only have a few left of that kind, and have mixed them with the minis, wow, i HATE the minis, ill have to get more full sized wafers next time im at my LFS).

but in the position he had it in, the platies were eating the other side, while he ate one side:

2023-03-09-065113.jpg.2a5ccac8354f41e0db610ad23bfb4afb.jpg

• Haha 1

sad news...

more deaths in the shrimp tank.

the shrimp is alive, its swimeretes are moving, but its upside down, and its eyes have gone white.

it will probably die soon.

this puts us down to 3 shrimp, still have a male and a female, but ive seen no eggs or breeding.

im not sure whats going wrong with this tank, parameters are all good.

So if anyone wants to offer me some free cherry shrimp, i wont turn you down.

also my tank has a bunch of little cories in it:

they are a little shy, but are doing their little corydora thing, it is fun to watch.

2023-03-09-181037.jpg.84a90b2cba45d7cb7cdb2816c9b7dbb6.jpg2023-03-09-181029.jpg.b8bd464e3378099c6320b21bb205123b.jpg

note: in the first picture the cory facing away from you is the fry, the other is an adult

in the second picture there are 2fry, try to find them.

the fry are all hanging out together in a loose shoal, its fun to watch.

2023-03-10-062853.jpg.efa796f2a2ae7c6623fd7b39dd703937.jpg

i unplugged my HOB last night, and surprisingly the water is still clear, ill se how long it lasts like this.

2023-03-10-062902.jpg.0fb6d6a73ea742e10a6c18c6fdc659c3.jpg

Batmobile wants some of those yummy crab cuisine pellets.

2023-03-10-062913.jpg.29743a7531d70c5c65c459ecb1dde76a.jpg

dwarf aquarium lily definitely flowering.

im also happy to report that while i still have some hair algae, turning down the light has stopped the outbreak.

its fun to see the little corydoras in my tank, so small but doing the corydora thing.

to me they grow faster this way, even though its not true, though its mostly because i forget about them.

Edited by Theplatymaster

On 3/10/2023 at 2:12 AM, Theplatymaster said:

sad news...

more deaths in the shrimp tank.

the shrimp is alive, its swimeretes are moving, but its upside down, and its eyes have gone white.

it will probably die soon.

this puts us down to 3 shrimp, still have a male and a female, but ive seen no eggs or breeding.

im not sure whats going wrong with this tank, parameters are all good.

So if anyone wants to offer me some free cherry shrimp, i wont turn you down.

also my tank has a bunch of little cories in it:

they are a little shy, but are doing their little corydora thing, it is fun to watch.

2023-03-09-181037.jpg.84a90b2cba45d7cb7cdb2816c9b7dbb6.jpg2023-03-09-181029.jpg.b8bd464e3378099c6320b21bb205123b.jpg

note: in the first picture the cory facing away from you is the fry, the other is an adult

in the second picture there are 2fry, try to find them.

the fry are all hanging out together in a loose shoal, its fun to watch.

You trying to keep shrimp in that platy tank?

On 3/10/2023 at 6:42 AM, Lennie said:

You trying to keep shrimp in that platy tank?

not currently, though ive been considering it, start with a large amount, they can find hiding spots, and the platies shouldnt go on a murdering spree with what i feed them.\

and for everyone that is saying "bettas murder shrimp, what are you doing!"

my betta wouldnt hurt a fly, actually he would, fish eat bugs in the wild.

my betta wouldnt hurt a fry, that fits better, he is shy and peaceful, he wont murder everything.

im talking about my 2.5gallon shrimp tank, its got shrimp, various small snails,and other tiny living things.

Edited by Theplatymaster

On 3/10/2023 at 2:49 PM, Theplatymaster said:

not currently, though ive been considering it, start with a large amount, they can find hiding spots, and the platies shouldnt go on a murdering spree with what i feed them.\

and for everyone that is saying "bettas murder shrimp, what are you doing!"

my betta wouldnt hurt a fly, actually he would, fish eat bugs in the wild.

my betta wouldnt hurt a fry, that fits better, he is shy and peaceful, he wont murder everything.

im talking about my 2.5gallon shrimp tank, its got shrimp, various small snails,and other tiny living things.

A fish’s behavior  is usually determines its relationship with the tankmates  tbh. Shrimp is a naturally food source to almost all fish we keep. So you can’t really say it wouldn’t hurt anything. A betta being peaceful does not mean he would not eat food. Shrimp is food. 

I think this is not reallu related to how peaceful the fish is in terms of character. It is more valid for living in a community tank with other fish or maybe poking snails antennas, but in snails scenario they mostly treat it as a worm so again, food.

Shrimp is not different than brine shrimp or worms really

Even then, a fish thst fits into another fish’s mouth is still mostly a food.

On 3/10/2023 at 5:03 PM, Theplatymaster said:

sure, shrimplets will be eaten, but the adult shrimp will be big enough not to be eaten.

Depends on whether the fish decides to kill it or not. They can turn it into a bite size if they want.

like a pygmy cory wont do it perhaps for example, but a betta is a betta. Cichlid is a cichlid.

On 3/10/2023 at 10:05 AM, Lennie said:

Depends on whether the fish decides to kill it or not. They can turn it into a bite size if they want.

like a pygmy cory wont do it perhaps for example, but a betta is a betta. Cichlid is a cichlid.

it will be taking a risk.

mostly i just want shrimp for my shrimp colony, with all shrimp safe animals, but if i could get a colony of shrimp going in my 20gallon, it would be pretty cool.

On 3/10/2023 at 6:08 PM, Theplatymaster said:

it will be taking a risk.

mostly i just want shrimp for my shrimp colony, with all shrimp safe animals, but if i could get a colony of shrimp going in my 20gallon, it would be pretty cool.

Yea I personally gave up on that one.

I feel like shrimp in community tank with most community fish does not work. I have 3 handsize moss, rocks, lots of plants driftwood floating plants and cave but shrimp babies cant make it. I personally don’t really think it works anymore based on how planted the tank is. 
they never touch adults so I can use it as a cull tank maybe.

Good news!

there are/were platy fry in this tank:

how do i know?

one of the females ive been waiting on to drop for a while was looking much skinnier all of a sudden,in the area they hold the fry, and she is still perfectly healthy, so she probably has given birth.ive seen no fry yet, but the first few days of platy fry are invisibe, even though im trying to find them, that female has been moved back to the main tank.

2023-03-10-154848.jpg.51350bb5e5accf8f0bfe0fe78bf1bbaf.jpg

this tank was also pretty much set up for this project with the goal to hide fry, so they should be fine if they are there,which i suspect they are.

Im online again!

Ok, so im rethinking my platy breeding project, i may reset it it and just work on the red/orange platies, instead of a "genetics project" because right now i dont feel like im doing something, which i could do the other way.

Also funny story time:

I didnt have my camera on hand, but i saw one of the little half inch corydoras, swim up to Batmobile, and it did its corydora investigating thing on his shell, Batmobile didnt care, but it was fun to watch.

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea

2 questions for you.

1.when you mystery snails are holding still, do yours wrap their antenna around their eyes, because thats what mine doing

2.Also when it uses its siphon to get air, it opens are closes its mouth, almost like its breathing in and out, have you seen this?

my HOB is clogged, and made some annoying noises yesterday so its unplugged, ill plug it back in tomorrow once i clean it.

@nabokovfan87 i will probably get some silicone and do all the modding possible in the 35 following your directions.

another death in the 2.5gallon shrimp tank, i have no idea what is going on, theyve just started dying on me.😞

still 1pair left, they could breed and stay alive for a month and the colony would be saved, but they will probably die.

please help!

i dont really feel like posting any pictures tonight, though i took this picture for a different thread, so ill post it anyway.

Here is john, in his tunnel, next to Batmobile:

2023-03-11-190912.jpg.83a76f81bddc9d3ca446027f16f42d16.jpg

• Like 1

me:

sitting on the computer waiting for my pizza bagels to be done.

my opinion on pizza bagels, is that they dont taste AS good as real pizza, but they are still really good, and SO much easier to make.

so because im just sitting here,have some pictures:

there is a nerite snail in this picture, have fun:

2023-03-11-195343.jpg.4ae538295b256a20af8749bc513842ff.jpg

i also wanted to get a picture of Batmobile, but i couldnt find him.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 7:20 PM, Theplatymaster said:

1.when you mystery snails are holding still, do yours wrap their antenna around their eyes, because thats what mine doing

2.Also when it uses its siphon to get air, it opens are closes its mouth, almost like its breathing in and out, have you seen this?

Yep. Both normal. They are silly characters aren’t they?

Mine doing the antenna curl while eating.

6BD99123-70D9-45E6-AB60-CDC7D2320604.jpeg

• Love 1

On 3/11/2023 at 7:20 PM, Theplatymaster said:

another death in the 2.5gallon shrimp tank, i have no idea what is going on, theyve just started dying on me.😞

If they are new shrimp, this is normal. It’s not til the colony gets going that the dieoffs stop. Make sure when you do water changes that you drip it back in. Mine couldn’t handle it when I poured from a bucket, they were too sensitive for that and would die. And I was doing 10% only.  I added 4 more shrimp before the rest died, and then boom. They started breeding. Once they breed once then you’re good, the new shrimplets are born into your water and are used to it.

Cinnebuns doesn’t drip water back in. Instead, she pours some from a large plastic fast food cup into the tank every hour or so, to replace the water that was taken out.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 3/11/2023 at 9:15 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

They are silly characters aren’t they?

that is the entire reason i wanted one.

On 3/11/2023 at 9:21 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Make sure when you do water changes that you drip it back in.

the point of this tank was not to do water changes, and its been a few weeks since ive poured in water due to evaporation,, but ill keep this in mind.

• Like 1

tank lights just turned on!

Ill have to adjust the timer for daylight savings, which will be a pain because i use manual timers not wifi ones.

its sunday morning so its time to work on my tanks, here is my agenda for this morning.

1.add root tabs

2.water change all 3 tanks

3.clean out tidal35filter in old tank water

4.catch out platies for an actual platy breeding project. (yes im aware that red platies exist, i just want more of this amle's color)

Screenshot_2023-03-12_07-08-13.png.37ec9e76d61acba3e05b0b476be26afd.png

5.refill all tanks

6.clean up

and then i have a ton of school work to do 😞🙄

ill make another post once im done with all of this.

• Like 1

ok, i finished all of my maintainance except for step #6, i havent cleaned up yet.

Ive done a WC and added root tabs, things are going well.

also a new opinion of mine on dwarf aquarium lily pads, they are great, until you have to do tank maitainance and they get in your way.

@nabokovfan87i have fixed the issue on my tidal 35, the BOTTOM intake. it was sucking up plant matter, and clogging, i have sponges on the main 2 intakes, so a simple scrap piece of sponge that fit right in can guard this intake, i feel so much better, with that intake covered.

ive replaced the 7pounds of filter floss i had in that filter with a small amount. i agree with what Cory said about the media in last weeks livestream, but its what i have. (i got mine from Michael's ive had no issue with the anti flame chemicals, so ill share the brand if anyone wants to know).

oh, the one thing i have not done is play musical fish, but that can wait a fwe days, i dont feel like it today, i HATE catching fish.

In my opinion the MOST stressful parts of this hobby,are

A.catching fish (for obvious reasons)

and

B. putting in root tabs, (when the root tabs/the plants get uprooted, it is SO annyoing).

i will be going in a few minutes and watering my neighbor's garden.

I gave him a bottle of old fishwater last week, and he said i could go water his plants with it when  i do water changes, i think he just appreciates the free fertilized water.

Edited by Theplatymaster
  • Thanks 1